1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
38,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
10,819 Posts
I wonder how many more stories we will have to read before people start to realize quiet neighborhoods are just neighborhoods that criminals havent discovered yet.
If some of these people didnt live under a rock they would realized that about once a week there is a news article about someone is just as shocked as them that something would happen in their neighborhood.

·
Registered
15,726 Posts
Neighbors are, of course, shocked and frightened:

Woman shot in the face in her car while sitting in the Peoria City Council parking lot - Story | KSAZ

"Holy cow, how scary. I have a child. And it's frightening," said a resident.

Some say even though bad thing can happen anywhere, this is a quiet town. And adding a situation like that has sent shock waves throughout the community.

"I walk around sometimes at nighttime with my dogs. And I live just right over here, so that's scary,"."
Serial killers are the best neighbors. Criminals drive cars too. Some notorious serial killers have been drifters/truck drivers. Be polite to everyone you meet and have a plan to kill them.

·
Banned
216 Posts
There are a lot of neighborhoods where the risk is less. Not ZERO, but less. And we all make compromises based on our perception of risk.

I know people who ride motorcycles without helmets. I know people who ride them but ONLY with a helmet. And I gave up motorcycles years ago because I was afraid of the people driving cars around me. I like riding horses, but I have family members who love riding motorcycles but who won't toss a leg over a horse. Perceived risk.

The city in question has over 150,000 people and is part of Phoenix. I always carry if going thru Phoenix, including Peoria.

And there is this, from the article: "At about 2:30 a.m., Peoria Police received a call from a woman who was shot in the face." If I planned to be in a parking lot in Phoenix at 2AM, I'd probably be carrying TWO guns...

·
Registered
46 Posts
It's horrible this happened . I wonder what she was doing out @ 0230. Even tho you don't always consciously think about it , you must use Street Smarts at all times.

·
Administrator
144,767 Posts
Well, drugs are everywhere these days and prolific in even very (typically) quiet neighborhoods.

Most drugs are highly addictive and addicted people often do bad things to good people when they need whatever it might be that they are addicted to.

After they run out of family and friends and AKA people that they can more easily cheat, lie, and steal from....the elderly, the frail, the innocent, unprepared, helpless, and oblivious are next in line.

After they have destroyed their own respective family...they are coming for yours.

Shame that some of them start out as decent individuals that just need serious help but, if they don't get that in time they become a potential danger to Every quiet neighborhood.

It's the way the world of today turns. Violently sometimes.

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
The criminals are scary, the guns are scary, getting shot is scary, being attacked is scary but we live in a very quiet town. :nono:

There is no such thing as a quiet town or a scary gun. Perhaps the person shooting the gun is scary. Why do they refuse to blame the bad guy and live with situational awareness.

Reactions: Bandit99 and OD*

·
Registered
844 Posts
Also another cautionary tale about situational awareness. People yacking away on their phones are easier targets than most.
If only I could get my wife to see that. She has no situational awareness at all.

·
Super Moderator
20,163 Posts
When I moved west, I wound up in the town of Gilbert, a suburb east of Phoenix. It had a reputation as being a "safe" town, which simply meant it had a low crime rate. But a low crime rate means zilch when random violence occurs, as in the linked story. A short time after I moved into my sleepy subdivision, a young man kid walking to his convenience store job a quarter mile from me witnessed an armed robbery. The BGs ran after him and killed him. So much for a "safe" town.

Any time, any where.

·
Banned
19,633 Posts
Peoria's population hovers around 160K. Violent crime rate reported as 166 per 100K which translates to 265 violent crimes per year. That's 5 violent crimes per week. Nearly one per day.

People may perceive that area "safe", but safe is a relative word. As a comparison, South Tuscon has a violent crime rate of 2435 per 100K.

Just as an aside, Gilbert is the 5th safest city in Az.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Serial killers are the best neighbors. Criminals drive cars too. Some notorious serial killers have been drifters/truck drivers. Be polite to everyone you meet and have a plan to kill them.
Sad but true.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Nothing good happens after midnight.
I don't know about that... I LOVE sleeping! LOL (I also get up at 2-3 AM for hunting occasionally)

Reactions: flintlock62 and OD*

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Situational awareness, folks. It comes in handy no matter WHERE you are!

(And being prepared, ready, and able to defend is important, too!)

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Peoria's population hovers around 160K. Violent crime rate reported as 166 per 100K which translates to 265 violent crimes per year. That's 5 violent crimes per week. Nearly one per day.

People may perceive that area "safe", but safe is a relative word. As a comparison, South Tuscon has a violent crime rate of 2435 per 100K.

Just as an aside, Gilbert is the 5th safest city in Az.
Keep in mind, Peoria is but one of many cities that all surround AND blur seamlessly together as the "Phoenix metroplex".

If you weren't looking at signs, you'd think you were still in Phoenix when in most of these surrounding cities.

This is true of surrounding "cities" in the Phoenix metroplex AND is true for surrounding cities in most other large metroplexi.

·
Registered
887 Posts
We live in a rural area in the mountains. There are only a handful of us on the mountain. I feel I need to be extra cautious rather than have the attitude of it being a quiet place. It may take a Sheriff awhile to get here and then find your house on the private gravel roads. We depend on each other, thank god my neighbors are all gun friendly. A few of my neighbors and I always say to each other.."If you call me for an emergency at 2AM, I just need to know whether to bring tools or guns." :smile:

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
We live in a rural area in the mountains. There are only a handful of us on the mountain. I feel I need to be extra cautious rather than have the attitude of it being a quiet place. It may take a Sheriff awhile to get here and then find your house on the private gravel roads. We depend on each other, thank god my neighbors are all gun friendly. A few of my neighbors and I always say to each other.."If you call me for an emergency at 2AM, I just need to know whether to bring tools or guns." :smile:
Living in rural outskirts of Scottsdale, we're much the same. We're all on acreage, neighbors are conservative, for the most part, and gun-friendly. Our "streets" are decomposed granite trails and no one drives around here that isn't noticed. If you don't belong here, you really stick out. No "gang bangers" nor any nere-do-wells are even remotely close to this area. But still, I'm always armed and situationally aware!

It makes good sense to keep your eyes and ears open no matter where you are. And being armed and dangerous doesn't hurt when to comes to self-defense.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts