Defensive Carry banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Keep an eye on Oklahoma. Constitutional carry passed this year, GFZ signs do not have the force of law, and teacher carry in classroom is being voted on shortly.
Weird thing is if your a Wyoming resident you also don't need a permit to carry in Oklahoma. I would like to see all permitless states honor permitless for everyone and not just residents like Idaho and Wyoming do. Idaho is fighting for it and hopefully I can find a state level 2A group in Wyoming to help it along.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I wish that were true but, Boise is becoming very blue as CA moves in for cheaper taxes and housing. The state will hold for some time but, it to is caving starting in the biggest cities. As a former 25 year Idaho resident I would still put it in the top 6 though.
That has been a worry of mine, however many of the peeps moving from the once-golden-state are conservative gun owners (just like me), and some things about Idaho (tough drug laws, sensible gun laws and that family values thing) do not appeal to a lot of blue staters. And, add this to the four seasons (meaning cooold winters and hot summers and dry desert climate) means that one would really, really want to move here. Colorado suits many of them better (cold winters, would be a tie, in that case).

Reactions: forester58

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
That has been a worry of mine, however many of the peeps moving from the once-golden-state are conservative gun owners (just like me), and some things about Idaho (tough drug laws, sensible gun laws and that family values thing) do not appeal to a lot of blue staters. And, add this to the four seasons (meaning cooold winters and hot summers and dry desert climate) means that one would really, really want to move here. Colorado suits many of them better (cold winters, would be a tie, in that case).

Your right, I think Idaho will hold for a while. I moved there as a CA native in 1979. So, I am also a refugee.

·
Registered
168 Posts
It's Kentucky. We don't actually have a concealed gun permit, it's a concealed weapons permit. You can carry guns, switchblades, throwing stars, nunchucks, blackjacks, brass knuckles just about any weapon you want. Also no duty to retreat, castle doctrine, signs don't carry force of law, no duty to notify and any person who uses a gun in self-defense has immunity from criminal and civil law. You can have a machine gun if you want one and no magazine restrictions. All and all, Kentucky is a great place to own a gun.

·
Registered
34,034 Posts
Gonna take a lot more than gun laws to attract me to any state other then the state of confusion I currently reside in.

·
Registered
8,454 Posts
Alaska, Utah and Wyoming
Utah is good for now but many liberals are moving here. A couple years ago our Republican governor, who allegedly has a carry permit, made a statement that he didn’t understand why anyone would need more than a 10 round magazine. I would not want to bet on what things might be like here in 15 years.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Weird thing is if your a Wyoming resident you also don't need a permit to carry in Oklahoma. I would like to see all permitless states honor permitless for everyone and not just residents like Idaho and Wyoming do. Idaho is fighting for it and hopefully I can find a state level 2A group in Wyoming to help it along.
https://www.wyominggunowners.org/

·
Registered
841 Posts
Firearm carry is generally prohibited in the following areas in Az.:
•Businesses serving alcohol for consumption on the premises (exceptions for peace officers and ccw permitees, see A.R.S. 4-229, A.R.S. 4-244, A.R.S. 13-3102) •Polling places on election days (peace officers are excepted)
•K-12 school grounds (some exceptions apply) (peace officers are excepted)
•Commercial nuclear & hydroelectric generating stations (peace officers are excepted)
•Military installations (peace officers are limited)
•Indian reservations (check w/tribe, peace officers are limited)
•Game preserves (peace officers are limited)
•National parks (peace officers are limited); more information available at www.doi.gov or contact the park service regarding pending federal legislation.
•Correctional facilities
•Federal buildings (peace officers are limited)
•Airports (in or beyond security checkpoints) (peace officers are limited)
•Where federal, state or local laws prohibit weapons (peace officers are limited)
•State or local government/private establishments or events when asked by the operator/sponsor/agent. Most government facilities will provide a location to temporarily store a firearm. Persons who refuse to leave and/or secure their weapon are trespassing and can be cited or arrested for ARS 13-1502 or ARS 13-1503, depending on the venue (peace officers are excepted)
•Public college or university grounds where carry has been prohibited by governing board

Not much if any different than every state. Those are the GFZ's in Az. Living here, I don't encounter other GFZ's much if at all. Do you have information that suggests other than the above [ which would be nearly the same for every state ] as GFZ's.
I was born and raised in AZ and still own the house I grew up in. I get back there every year.

But all my adult life, I've lived in California.

Since I got my CA ccw license 5 years ago, I've started paying attention to businesses that put up "No Weapons" signs.

I find more of those in Phoenix than I do here in California. Including some national chain stores that have No Weapons signs in their Arizona branches but not in their California stores.

I think it's probably because there are so few non-LEOs licensed to carry here in CA that businesses don't think about the issue much.

I'm not sure about whether AZ has laws requiring CCW holders to obey such signs (ie do they have force of law behind them in AZ).

·
Registered
396 Posts
•Businesses serving alcohol for consumption on the premises (exceptions for peace officers and ccw permitees, see A.R.S. 4-229, A.R.S. 4-244, A.R.S. 13-3102) •Polling places on election days (peace officers are excepted)
•Commercial nuclear & hydroelectric generating stations (peace officers are excepted)
•National parks (peace officers are limited); more information available at www.doi.gov or contact the park service regarding pending federal legislation.
•Correctional facilities
•Where federal, state or local laws prohibit weapons (peace officers are limited)
•State or local government/private establishments or events when asked by the operator/sponsor/agent. Most government facilities will provide a location to temporarily store a firearm. Persons who refuse to leave and/or secure their weapon are trespassing and can be cited or arrested for ARS 13-1502 or ARS 13-1503, depending on the venue (peace officers are excepted)
•Public college or university grounds where carry has been prohibited by governing board

Not much if any different than every state. Those are the GFZ's in Az. Living here, I don't encounter other GFZ's much if at all. Do you have information that suggests other than the above [ which would be nearly the same for every state ] as GFZ's.
That is significantly different than PA, we can carry at any bar, any college, polling locations (assuming it isn't at a k-12 school), we also have the statewide preemption law that stops anti-gun cities/communities from undermining state gun laws. Also, the no firearms signs have no force of law, as with any other state you do have to leave if they ask you to.

I've actually seen a lot of the no firearms stickers disappear since the NZ shooting...not sure why it took them so long.

That being said, I'd probably choose Wyoming or Montana :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
432 Posts
When it boils right down to it, the Hoosier State is quite 'liberal' regarding the right to bear arms.

We have to obtain a LTCH (NOT a CCP), because open carry is legal with this license.

Those picking up or dropping off children at K12 public schools can do so while legally carrying as long as they remain in their vehicles on school property.

Indiana also repealed the ban on automatic knives, and short-barreled shotguns too.

https://www.guntrustlawyer.com/indiana-in-what-nfa-firearms-c-1/

·
Banned
5,322 Posts
Aside from the laws prevalent in a state, the culture of the state is important also. That's why I am heading to Arizona.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I live in Kansas and it is a "gun sanctuary state" FWIW. Added plus you can easily get land enough for a personal range so you can shoot to your hearts content. Big cities are liberal Wichita, KC (more a suburb of KC, Mo though), any college town Lawrence is really a liberal bastion and Manhattan is tending that way. But in Missouri the big cities of St. Lous, KC, Springfield and Columbia are all Liberal and skew the social political climate left.
I love the mid west DUE to the changing weather patterns, winters can be long (this year it was 6 months!!!) but one can find beauty and pleasure in each season if you look. I also love the view of the Flint Hills and western parts, while the east have beautiful woodlands.
I sound like a tourist booster don't I, but the lack of people is also a huge plus to me...so Don't move here!:danceban:

·
Registered
628 Posts
There are a lot of articles online about the best states for gun owners and I don't agree with most of them. They tend to have AZ as #1, but I am also hearing they have a lot of GFZs and they are getting an influx of liberals escaping CA. I see VT on the lists, because of permitless carry, but Howard Dean and Bernie Sanders are from there. That state is going to go the way of NJ in the next ten years.

So here is a hypothetical for the group. Never mind the extent it actually applies you personally, it's a hypothetical.
  • You are retiring.
  • You have no sentimental, financial or family ties to your current state or any other state, or at least that is not a big factor for you.
    [*]Within reason, money or cost of living is not a big concern.
    [*]You don't care about the weather.
Your only concern is gun rights. The question is, which state do you think will likely be the best over the next 10-20 years and why do you say that?

My answer is: Kansas or Missouri. Kansas is a state that is predicted to stay conservative and continue to get more conservative in the foreseeable future. Missouri has continued to move right on gun rights and even has proposed a state law that would prohibit MO LE from enforcing federal gun laws or assisting the feds in doing so. I have also read WY might be a good bet.

But what say you folks?
I would also list AZ as one of the best states for gun rights. They do have constitutional carry and from what I know, most of the liberals who are leaving CA go to states such as NV and CO, that is why those states are becoming so liberal. I do agree with you that Kansas and Missouri are good states for gun rights and I would also like to add West Virginia. In WV they've got constitutional carry I believe and aside from that WV is very beautiful depending on where you go. In WV you might need a gun though, as well as good training.

Anyway, where I quoted you above in bold, where money and cost of living is not a big concern and where you don't care about the weather then I would say the state of Alaska. Alaska is one of the most gun friendly states in the country although you do have to have lots of money to live there and you also obviously have to be able to tolerate really cold weather if you're going to live there year round. Also in the summer it does get quite hot and you often get 24 hours of sunlight. And Alaska is isolated from the rest of the country so if you're going to live there you will be very much cut off from mainland USA. But it is probably not the state that liberals are going to move to so Alaska will stay a gun friendly state.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Arizona! Also as a retiree from New Mexico it would be my second choice. Both states have always been generally gun friendly with no more Gun Free Zones than any other state and Indian Reservations are really not an issue.

Also I spent most of my adult life in New Mexico and then AZ since '07 and I havbe become acclimated to the southwest climate and just can't take cold weather states no matter how gun friendly.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
•Correctional facilities

Think I will stay in Florida Brownie!

Many years ago, visiting Phoenix from Toronto. Carrying a Colt 45, open carry. Asked an LEO the rules on concealed carry?
He said a young man, with a .380, with 3 different makes of ammunition in it, no matter where it was, was illegally concealed.

Pull my shirt over my $600.00 1911, with aftermarket 8 round stainless steel magazines, all hung on a $70.00 leather gun belt?
That was partially concealed! Seemed like the Police had the right attitude. The range we were shooting on, had a mountain as a backstop!

21 - 40 of 62 Posts