1 - 20 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
6,222 Posts
great read. I also own several.....but know nothing about 1911's other than the fact that I love shooting them at the range. I am unfortunately, not dedicated enough
to the platform to trust myself to carry one daily. Maybe some day when I'm not working 70 hours a week and have more time to train.....its always some day. :ticking:

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
great read. I also own several.....but know nothing about 1911's other than the fact that I love shooting them at the range. I am unfortunately, not dedicated enough
to the platform to trust myself to carry one daily. Maybe some day when I'm not working 70 hours a week and have more time to train.....its always some day. :ticking:
I hear you. I have taken a couple of classes with one of mine and at times will carry it. Like the article stated, its a query of 1....

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
I technically own two, though some would argue that my Springfield Micro GI.45 (see: avatar) is not really a real 1911, it just looks like one, works like one, shoots like one, and cleans up like one. My other is the Ruger SR1911. I love 'em both, and often carry the GI.45.

That article was a great read.

·
Registered
21,471 Posts
Whew! Glad I read that, my Colts must be defective, because they run as good as anything I have with very little maintenance, and absolutely no needed work.

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Whew! Glad I read that, my Colts must be defective, because they run as good as anything I have with very little maintenance, and absolutely no needed work.
They mentioned in the article that some would say that....:wink:

Reactions: SmokinFool

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
21,471 Posts
The problem I have with the article, is the title. This is simply not the truth about the design, and uses generalizations including how many different makes and models of the same platform?

While the author does mention that, he only uses the information he wants to for his side of the story. He doesnt mention all the guns that were dicked with by their ignorant owners or the ones that were using cheap china made gun show mags.

Or, cheap guns made out of spec.

It is an article of half truths.

Reactions: SmokinFool and OD*

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
The problem I have with the article, is the title. This is simply not the truth about the design, and uses generalizations including how many different makes and models of the same platform?

While the author does mention that, he only uses the information he wants to for his side of the story. He doesnt mention all the guns that were dicked with by their ignorant owners or the ones that were using cheap china made gun show mags.

Or, cheap guns made out of spec.

It is an article of half truths.
Does anyone else find it a bit ironic that "glockman" is calling out a 1911 bashing article?
:wink::wave:

·
Registered
21,471 Posts
Does anyone else find it a bit ironic that "glockman" is calling out a 1911 bashing article?
:wink::wave:
LoL, Im not really calling it out, I just dont feel that its correct to generalize the platform in such a way as to infer that its not inherently reliable. Thats just simply BS, if you have a quality built gun made to the correct specs and using quality magazines.

A couple of years ago, I did a side by side comparison, and fired 1000 rounds a piece with the Colt and G17. The Colt didnt hiccup once. The thread is here for the searching.
Simply, this article does not bare witness with my experience.:yup:

·
Registered
21,471 Posts
I find it interesting, actually, that he spends more time in the article talking about his credentials and reasons to listen to him, then he does actually explaining in any kind of depth the 'real truth'.
Exactly. Very telling. Nothing but generalizations, and makes me wonder how much experience or understanding he really has of the 1911.

But, its always interesting to hear what other people say.:smile:

Reactions: SmokinFool

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Exactly. Very telling. Nothing but generalizations, and makes me wonder how much experience or understanding he really has of the 1911.

But, its always interesting to hear what other people say.:smile:
And this sentence, makes no sense to me at all.

We ask it to feed ammunition for which it was never designed (high velocity duty ammunition with an open mouth) using a magazine with another round crammed in it.
Unless your magazine has ran dry, isn't there always another round crammed in it?

So what does he mean that the 1911 was never designed for some ammunition "using a magazine with another round crammed in it"??

·
Registered
21,471 Posts
And this sentence, makes no sense to me at all.

Unless your magazine has ran dry, isn't there always another round crammed in it?

So what does he mean that the 1911 was never designed for some ammunition "using a magazine with another round crammed in it"??
Only thing I can think of is a reference to 8 round mags vs 7 rounds. I believe he is just trying to justify his opinion by looking for something to back up his obvious bias.

Bias is good. I have them, but you cant let that stop you from seeing objectively.

The 1911 is not the perfect gun. But what is? Anyone can pick anything apart.

Oh, Semper Fi brother! I just really looked at your avatar.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Only thing I can think of is a reference to 8 round mags vs 7 rounds. I believe he is just trying to justify his opinion by looking for something to back up his obvious bias.

Bias is good. I have them, but you cant let that stop you from seeing objectively.

The 1911 is not the perfect gun. But what is? Anyone can pick anything apart.

Oh, Semper Fi brother! I just really looked at your avatar.
If that's the case, then I fail to see how an 8th round is "crammed" into a magazine designed to hold 8 rounds :rolleyes:

Were/Are you a Marine, Glockman?

Semper Fi!

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have never understood where all these bad 1911 come from. I only have two now but have had a bunch over the years. Always let friends talk me out of them and now wish I had not. But I have never had any trouble with 1911's even had a couple of 3 inch that never had a jam. I did have a new Kimber that gave a little trouble till I shot just a very few mags through it and still have it. It has not had any more problems.I don't tinker with them and don't fix things that ain't broke.Maybe that is why I have had such good luck.

·
Registered
21,471 Posts
If that's the case, then I fail to see how an 8th round is "crammed" into a magazine designed to hold 8 rounds :rolleyes:

Were/Are you a Marine, Glockman?

Semper Fi!
I am. 86-93

Reactions: bmcgilvray

·
Super Moderator
19,245 Posts
I'm another whose 1911 guns always behave, do what they are told to do, and are well-mannered and unfussy. My own 1911 pistols along with others I've observed, owned by family and friends, have all exhibited dependable shooting characteristics. A completely stock Colt Gold Cup I have around here could be considered to be a bit less than perfectly reliable but I consider it a bit of a departure from the original spirit and intent of the John Browning/Colt creation. It's a target gun though and it works well enough if it isn't shamefully dirty.

Only 1911s which have been messed with have been troublesome in my observation. I enjoy owning and using 1911s because they are reliable. I wouldn't enjoy fiddling with a balky pistol at all. It'd have to go away.

It doesn't really matter what others claim about the gun. For me it's just shoot, clean, lube and repeat ... no muss, no fuss.

That's the real truth about the 1911.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I'm another whose 1911 guns always behave, do what they are told to do, and are well-mannered and unfussy. My own 1911 pistols along with others I've observed, owned by family and friends, have all exhibited dependable shooting characteristics. A completely stock Colt Gold Cup I have around here could be considered to be a bit less than perfectly reliable but I consider it a bit of a departure from the original spirit and intent of the John Browning/Colt creation. It's a target gun though and it works well enough if it isn't shamefully dirty.

Only 1911s which have been messed with have been troublesome in my observation. I enjoy owning and using 1911s because they are reliable. I wouldn't enjoy fiddling with a balky pistol at all. It'd have to go away.

It doesn't really matter what others claim about the gun. For me it's just shoot, clean, lube and repeat ... no muss, no fuss.

That's the real truth about the 1911.
BMC Keepin it REAL, son.

1 - 20 of 150 Posts