Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate to say this and probably many people on this forum will hate what Im about to say but I believe that much of why the 2nd Amendment has been infringed upon by the government has to do with the gun community. The gun community has allowed it. As hurtful as it might be, I believe that the truth of the matter is that the gun community is responsible for allowing much of the erosion of the 2A.

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
I disagree. There is no gun community.

·
Super Moderator
18,069 Posts
You may be right.

Many gun owners think that background checks are OK...because they have been brainwashed all their lives to think that it actually keeps bad guy from owning guns.

Gun owners in states that "register " guns don't even realize that registration IS an infringement on the Second Amendment therefore illegal.

Lots of gun owners are OK with being limited to purchasing one gun every X number of days.

Gun OWners in 14 states all Red Flag Laws to be voted in, which assumes you are guilty of something, with no due process, and lets the state confiscate your guns until you prove your self innocent.

Lots of gun owners think that its ok to own a lever-action rifle, but that owning the media version of an "assault weapon" is a terrible thing.

Many gun owners don't know what an "infringement" is. Or the Second Amendment. Many of them can't even tell you the 3 branches of government. Many of them think the Civil War was actually fought over slavery. We aren't teaching history so we are doomed to repeat it.

Many gun owners, right here on this forum say..."no one needs a machine gun" without realizing that they NFA is blatantly unconstitutional and that when created, handguns were on the original list.

How is paying a 200 tax on an NFA weapon not an infringement? Getting fingerprinted like a common criminal and submitting mugshots constitutional?

Lots of gun owners are OK with letting the state charge you for your right to defend yourself with a concealed weapon. Lots of them don't approve of anyone carrying a gun without a state-issued permission slip.

So yes... when you say it is the fault of gun owners for over 20,000 anti-freedom laws on the books...

You are correct. There is no solidarity. The propaganda of the last 50 years has been very successful.

·
Premium Member
7,449 Posts
I hate to say this and probably many people on this forum will hate what Im about to say but I believe that much of why the 2nd Amendment has been infringed upon by the government has to do with the gun community. The gun community has allowed it. As hurtful as it might be, I believe that the truth of the matter is that the gun community is responsible for allowing much of the erosion of the 2A.
An asseveration without substance. But then it is difficult to refute what is unsaid.

Reactions: Bad Bob

·
Premium Member
7,449 Posts
You may be right.

Many gun owners think that background checks are OK...because they have been brainwashed all their lives to think that it actually keeps bad guy from owning guns.

Gun owners in states that "register " guns don't even realize that registration IS an infringement on the Second Amendment therefore illegal.

Lots of gun owners are OK with being limited to purchasing one gun every X number of days.

Gun OWners in 14 states all Red Flag Laws to be voted in, which assumes you are guilty of something, with no due process, and lets the state confiscate your guns until you prove your self innocent.

Lots of gun owners think that its ok to own a lever-action rifle, but that owning the media version of an "assault weapon" is a terrible thing.

Many gun owners don't know what an "infringement" is. Or the Second Amendment. Many of them can't even tell you the 3 branches of government. Many of them think the Civil War was actually fought over slavery. We aren't teaching history so we are doomed to repeat it.

Many gun owners, right here on this forum say..."no one needs a machine gun" without realizing that they NFA is blatantly unconstitutional and that when created, handguns were on the original list.

How is paying a 200 tax on an NFA weapon not an infringement? Getting fingerprinted like a common criminal and submitting mugshots constitutional?

Lots of gun owners are OK with letting the state charge you for your right to defend yourself with a concealed weapon. Lots of them don't approve of anyone carrying a gun without a state-issued permission slip.

So yes... when you say it is the fault of gun owners for over 20,000 anti-freedom laws on the books...

You are correct. There is no solidarity. The propaganda of the last 50 years has been very successful.
For some it's not brainwashing, but it's simple economic cost.

Much comes down to money and time to challenge the Federal and State governments. Do I pay the $75 for a five year permit, or do I spend thousands in legal fees challenging the constitutionality of permit carry (and still pay my $75 in the meantime)?

Does a FFL holder spend thousands challenging the FFA and regulations under the NFA, or just carry on and decide to focus on a profitable business?

Do I sue the Federal government because I cannot own a full auto weapon without doing a lot of paperwork and paying an artificially inflated price for the weapon, or do I just stick with a semi-auto?

Right now the pain is not enough for me to sue. I don't like it, but I don't have unlimited time and funds, no matter how idiotic, say, the stamp requirement is for a suppressor.

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
Did we vote in every election, on every issue, every time? Did we voice our concerns, our knowledge, with our friends and relatives? Did we "get involved" in publicity to expose all these gun laws for what they were? Don't publish your answers, but think about how they apply to Photon Guy's post.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I'm not sure what the "gun community" is unless the OP is referring to the gun owners of the country, but whatever that is, it got a bit larger in June with a record number of 2A infringing background checks, over 3.9 million of them.

·
Registered
34,523 Posts
Yes but it was stated twice. Surely that counts for something. And No, I did not call you "Shirley".
Lucky for you, dogface.

·
Premium Member
2,248 Posts
You may be right.

Anytime they pass an infringing law, what is one to do? If you ignore the law you are branded a criminal/felon. Everyone says go to court to challenge the infringement but then you gotta come up with a lot of bucks to do so and you're lucky if you can get SCOTUS to accept the challenge (or any other court) and you may have to wait many years to get a court decision. In the meantime you're a felon, convicted or not, if you don't comply with the law. Voting out anti-gun politicians doesn't really help because we end up with someone equally "bad" to replace them. It's really difficult to maintain a positive attitude about this. I doubt that all the infringing laws will be repealed in my lifetime or even my kids lifetime. But yeah you're right, there's no solidarity to go "full steam" to challenge these laws.

1 - 20 of 125 Posts