Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
I have a vest just like that, came from Duluth Trading Company. Only comments I ever receive are questions about my fishing trips.

I have a couple of other vests by Carhartt for cold weather use.

I don't wear BDU trousers, cargo pants, tactical belts, military caps, or combat boots. I leave all that stuff for the TACTI-COOL guys at the mall.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a vest just like that, came from Duluth Trading Company. Only comments I ever receive are questions about my fishing trips.

I have a couple of other vests by Carhartt for cold weather use.

I don't wear BDU trousers, cargo pants, tactical belts, military caps, or combat boots. I leave all that stuff for the TACTI-COOL guys at the mall.
Yep! My vest came from Duluth also. I really like their clothes!

Howard

·
Registered
8,419 Posts
I don't think people pay that much attention, even criminals. And it's like the old OC vs. CC discussion. Possible pros of OC: It may be a deterrence and it may make the draw easier. Possible cons of OC: It could cause a "shoot me first" reaction and the stealing the gun may become the robber's target. My belief is all of the above can be true in different situations. The vest seems like it provides some of the pros of OC and avoids some of the cons, so I think they're fine. I like pockets.

You could just get one in orange and put a Home Depot logo on it. Then no one would suspect anything, they'd just think you were on your way to work.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good post Howard. I agree with you about the vest. I hear that comment all the time. I know a few people that wears these vests 24/7 and none of them carry or been shot. I have to start wearing my Nada Chair vest again. I find it comfortable to wear and pockets are nice for things.

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
I wore a vest when I was in California at times. The only people who ever looked at me sideways were a couple of guys at a Costco who I am pretty sure were retired cops. Here in Utah, nobody gives a rip about what anyone wears. If I was really concerned, I would put a photography manufacturer's patch on the chest and call it good. You're giving way too much credit to the bad guys.

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
I agree. Having visited and interviewed hundreds of criminals, I think the average intelligence level is somewhere around a grape. I not only never heard of a vest triggering a shooting, I never heard any actor claim they went looking for someone with a gun just so they could get in a shootout with them.

Of course, the problem with such statements from ne'er-do-wells is that they figure since someone said it, it MUST be true. That is a pretty much universal manifestation of the colossal level of stupidity sweeping our country.

·
Registered
34,532 Posts
I think people wearing hoodies over their heads in 90+ degree weather should be shot because they need shooting for doing that.

I never had much use for a vest myself. I had a nice down-filled one from Cabela's but found if it was cold enough to need the vest, it was cold enough to wear a coat instead and keep my arms warm too. I did wear it as an underlayer with lighter jackets at times, but rarely by itself.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree. Having visited and interviewed hundreds of criminals, I think the average intelligence level is somewhere around a grape. I not only never heard of a vest triggering a shooting, I never heard any actor claim they went looking for someone with a gun just so they could get in a shootout with them.

Of course, the problem with such statements from ne'er-do-wells is that they figure since someone said it, it MUST be true. That is a pretty much universal manifestation of the colossal level of stupidity sweeping our country.
I'm pretty sure you just insulted grapes.

Howard

·
Premium Member
1,412 Posts
One issue with a vest here in Houston is the heat and humidity in the summer. A vest may stand out like wearing a winter coat when's the temperature is in the 90s. When I say stand out, I do not mean its flashing "Concealed Gun Carrier". I'm just saying that clothes need to be consistent with the climate when concealing a firearm.

·
Registered
10,870 Posts
The vest is the least of your concerns. Your haircut, demeanor, belt, cargo pants and boots fairly scream “cop” to anyone interested- whether they wish you well or ill.

When dressed professionally, my demeanor has induced several people to assume I was a police officer and ask me for help.

The kind of vest matters - I have a fleece vest that is non tactical looking that I wear at times in cooler weather. It’s not festooned with pockets and loops.

Also, if someone was targeted first because of wearing a SMFV...how would we know, unless the criminals survived and admitted to such?

To me dressing like that is only slightly more discreet than open carrying. And that’s fine, as I sometimes open carry depending on the situation. But if you think you’re fooling anyone who is interested in these things...

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I've been wearing a Carhart vest for over thirty years. Takes the edge off a little cold and wind and keeps my arms free to work while not getting over heated. If I get overheated vest comes off easily.

I think this "shoot me vest" theory was created by the rise and popularity of conceal carrying a sidearm. It's starts off thinking about how bad one is printing and escalates into over thinking from there.
I think a vest brings more attention among the gun community than any other demographic. They're the only ones I hear talk about it. Not even the anti gun media
Walk the Wally in your West Without Worry. lol . Say that real fast ten times.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Yep, instructors will often spew such nonsense about vests. They will also tell you that certain types of other clothing such as 5.11 brand clothing will get you shot first. Instructors, like everybody else, often believe garbage they see or read elsewhere and pass it on, despite having no knowledge regarding the validity of such knowledge.

·
Registered
10,870 Posts
One addition...for a similar but lower key look, you can try khakis, a dress gun belt, nice collared shirt, and a sport coat. Almost as many pockets and not nearly as obvious.

More detective, less SWAT :smile:

aka business casual

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
One addition...for a similar but lower key look, you can try khakis, a dress gun belt, nice collared shirt, and a sport coat. Almost as many pockets and not nearly as obvious.

More detective, less SWAT :smile:

aka business casual
I go that route when I want to look a little "dressier" and/or when it's colder out. Of course, when I'm channeling James Bond it's a tux with a PPK in a shoulder holster:icon_cool:

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Or maybe they would think you were just out fishing if you had some lures hanging off them.
I wear what I want to wear.
Maybe because I wear a Resistol and cowboy boots they might think I am armed. Don't care.
l
The Resistol and cowboy boots along with the kilt seems like a magnet for gun fire. It's a wonder you're still above ground. :biggrin2:

1 - 20 of 94 Posts