Defensive Carry banner

41 - 60 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
10,876 Posts
But dressing like a dandy would not fit with the people I associate with. I would become the 'rob me, first' person if I dressed like that.
You need to associate with better people. Business casual is not dressing like a dandy...unless you wear a powdered wig. :rofl:

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
The vest is the least of your concerns. Your haircut, demeanor, belt, cargo pants and boots fairly scream “cop” to anyone interested- whether they wish you well or ill.

When dressed professionally, my demeanor has induced several people to assume I was a police officer and ask me for help.

The kind of vest matters - I have a fleece vest that is non tactical looking that I wear at times in cooler weather. It’s not festooned with pockets and loops.

Also, if someone was targeted first because of wearing a SMFV...how would we know, unless the criminals survived and admitted to such?

To me dressing like that is only slightly more discreet than open carrying. And that’s fine, as I sometimes open carry depending on the situation. But if you think you’re fooling anyone who is interested in these things...
I cleared out the Iron Horse Saloon in Daytona 'cause people thought I was a cop!

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Let's see if I can state this simply: I am a two-tour Vietnam veteran (airborne infantry, pathfinders) with 4 Purple Heart medal awards and the Combat Infantryman Badge (look it up if you don't know what it means), nearly 5 years active duty and another 3 years in the reserves. I am also a retired cop (patrolman, detective, sergeant, investigator, police chief) wounded once by gunfire, twice by knives, run over by a car, and physically thrown off the balcony of an apartment building in the line of duty.

If you like BDU's or cargo pants and they work for you, that's fine. If combat boots work out well for you, that's fine. If military headgear fits in with your lifestyle, that's fine. If you spend your life pretending to be something you have never been, I find that humorous at best and disgusting at least. If you make such wardrobe selections as a fashion statement the best I can offer is a chuckle under my breath.

Enjoy your day!
Damn! Maybe one of them shoot me vests would cover up that target on your back!

·
Registered
34,726 Posts
I cleared out the Iron Horse Saloon in Daytona 'cause people thought I was a cop!
I just yelled, "Hey! Some guy's giving out Christmas cards outside," and before you know it, I had the whole place to myself.

Some things never change.

·
Registered
508 Posts
There's a difference between a hat with some military insignia/logo and some sort of tactical headgear. You specifically stated caps, which I took to mean hat, for those two terms are interchangeable.

Cargo pants can be casual work wear. Heavy duty khakis with extra pockets. Great for people who cannot wear jeans at work, but need durable clothing because they do physical work as part of their job. Like I do, and the extra pockets are great for carrying tools/supplies. I'm considered maintenance personnel as an IT person. Different dress code for my staff group than for the classroom staff. I look like the office worker I am, not a soldier. Cargo pants have become commonly worn attire around here.

Your past has colored your perceptions and has you making some interesting assumptions. Incorrect ones about me.

I'm not now, nor have ever been in the military. That distinction was meant for many of my family, not for me. Combat boots have not once been part of my wardrobe. My Father never allowed military gear in his house. His time in the military made him dislike similar things that you do. The only article of clothing he liked because of the utilitarian nature, and durable build, was the BDU pants. Which he and my uncle wore white ones for decades. They were professional sheetrockers.
I will have to agree with you on the cargo pants, my wife works in IT and most of guys she works with wear khaki colored cargo pants, they are not allowed to wear blue jeans so most wear Khaki cargo pants and most have their pockets full of crap and doo dads.

I have also been told you shouldn't buy a crossbreed brand holster cause they have a "cross" on their belt clips and people will know that its IWB holster.... I guarantee non gun people have probably never even heard "Crossbreed" and probably don't even know what an inside the waist band holster is.

Sometimes gun people are their own worst enemies.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Whenever I see someone wearing a vest like that, its always a guy who is 60+, and Im always just waiting for them to pull out their 1911 (because theres no way someone wearing a fishing vest for concealment is going to carry anything other than a 1911 in 45acp) and start yelling "tWo wOrLd wArS!!" or the other classic "tHeY AlL fAlL tO hArD bAlL!!"

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I just wear light weight button ups a Eddie Bauer guide shirt will cover up anything and breath well.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Howard, Vest or no vest, You stand like a cop, You look like a cop, and you dress like a retired cop! I don't think the vest has anything to do with it!
As far as Criminals go, They do notice. They would pick you out of a crowd in a heartbeat. [ as a possible carrier].
I think there are very few BG's that walk into a place thinking first "I will eliminate all threats". They are more likely to see a threat and move on to easier pickings. In 25 years working in a jail I have only met a couple that had planned to rob a place and shoot all the witnesses. Even the other inmates wanted nothing to do with them! Those are rare even amongst the rare.
So as far as a cargo vest goes , As long as you don't mind others "Thinking" you may be carrying, It's OK. But people notice. If it were important not to be noticed, I'd skip the vest. And if you go under cover Try to do it in a community of retired cops or Military! That's where you could blend in!

I did enjoy the video. It will be interesting to see how much comment it brings! DR
Ha! I worked undercover exactly ONCE in my life. Not surprisingly, I hated it!

Howard

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Whenever I see someone wearing a vest like that, its always a guy who is 60+, and Im always just waiting for them to pull out their 1911 (because theres no way someone wearing a fishing vest for concealment is going to carry anything other than a 1911 in 45acp) and start yelling "tWo wOrLd wArS!!" or the other classic "tHeY AlL fAlL tO hArD bAlL!!"
Is it OK if I do that even if I'm only 53?

Howard

·
Registered
344 Posts
Howard, Great points. I dont care for that style vest as I early recognized it as a probably armed person. Yet with 35 years L.E. I have never seen a bad guy wearing the fisherman style vest. I just prefer Carhart vests in the winter and denim vests or western vests to cover my weapon.....kind of like the Chevy, Ford, Dodge argument....carry what you like and then practice with it....thanks for the updates.....I really look forward to them. Paul

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
It doesn't look like a fishing vest to a fisherman I bet.
Photographer, traveler, tourist look to me.
I have 2 just like it for travel & afraid to wear them.
:smile:

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
All kidding aside, I've worn cargo pants for 10+ years now and don't plan on changing. I wouldn't know where to put anything now without the extra pockets.
I have a similar experience, though not as long. When I first started carrying 4 years ago, I bought a couple pairs of Wrangler cargo pants to give them a try. I immediately saw the benefits of them. And one day I came home from work and my wife made the comment that she liked the way I looked in the cargo pants better than jeans. That sealed the deal. I have not put on a pair of jeans since then.

I've never given any thought whatsoever to what a potential perp might think about me in cargo pants, or what anyone else might think, for that matter.

·
Registered
302 Posts
You're giving way too much credit to the bad guys.
I don't think the average criminal has the type of situational awareness that enables them to pick out the possible CCer's before they commit their crime. Most of them are pretty dim bulbs.

My vest says HD Motorcycles....????
I have one of those too. Now I'll be afraid to wear it because it might cause me to get shot.

All kidding aside, I've worn cargo pants for 10+ years now and don't plan on changing. I wouldn't know where to put anything now without the extra pockets.
And I'm just the opposite. I want to carry as little as possible in my pants pockets. Wallet and keys was always about it but I have reluctantly given in to the idea that it's probably a good idea to carry my phone as well. Different strokes for different folks.

41 - 60 of 94 Posts