Defensive Carry banner

81 - 94 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
If you are watching and paying attention to what is going on around you when you are carrying, as you very well should be doing anyway, you should see anyone that comes around acting suspiciously or paying too much attention to you.
The lone individual utilizing a primary 180 degree observation window which is supplemented by a intermittent 360 degrees( at eye level) is likely to be extremely limited in regards to detecting danger within an active public space which they do not control. Badguys have a substantial advantage which they will undoubtedly exploit. Still, it is prudent to put a realistic effort towards general awareness. Just don't let your solo efforts develop into a false sense of security. You may only have about a 30% handle of what is actually developing in your "situation".

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
HR, I'm inclined to agree. Most criminals aren't usually sizing you up, unless you are the intended target or happen to be standing in very close proximity to them while they are sizing up a target.
In fact, I arrested a brilliant armed robber in a convenience store while I was in full Police Uniform. He walked past me and was so hyped and keyed up on the clerk and cash register, that either he didn't see me or it just didn't register in his mind as he passed by. He told the clerk to give him all of his money and lifted his shirt and showed him a Hi-Point 9mm he had stuck in his waistband. I simply walked up behind him and leveled my Commander at him and reached for his gun and took it, and asked him, do you really want to do that? The look on his face was sheer amazement, that a Cop had miraculously appeared out of thin air and got the drop on him. Handcuffs were next. Then a ride in the Woo-Woo Taxi to the local slam.
Now THAT'S funny!

Howard

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
I wear a Scotte vest that my wife bought for me, in cooler weather. Anything above 50 and I am in shorts and a light cover shirt concealing.

https://www.scottevest.com/

All the pockets are on the inside. All my stuff is concealed, someone wishes to make issue, that is their problem.
I have a a Scottevest Jacket and Two Sweatshirts. You can Cary most anything in them as long as you balance the load.

·
Registered
34,765 Posts
The lone individual utilizing a primary 180 degree observation window which is supplemented by a intermittent 360 degrees( at eye level) is likely to be extremely limited in regards to detecting danger within an active public space which they do not control. Badguys have a substantial advantage which they will undoubtedly exploit. Still, it is prudent to put a realistic effort towards general awareness. Just don't let your solo efforts develop into a false sense of security. You may only have about a 30% handle of what is actually developing in your "situation".
I kind of smile when some claim no one can approach them unseen. Those with that level of ability are few and far between.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I'm with 10thmtn , on this every one who looks likes HR gets a long look, my team wore vest they where never pressed/creased we never wore the so called combat pants and hair was a little above the ears. This whole video, just keeps me thinking of the ole saying If you look like Lunch, you mite get ate .

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
I kind of smile when some claim no one can approach them unseen. Those with that level of ability are few and far between.
I agree.. I am often surprised at how often I see people claim similar things in the forums by touting their situational awareness. Paying attention is a good thing and it is also a worth while endeavor but lets be realistic.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I can't even remember it was on clearance and I snagged it. It is nothing more than a simple fishing vest.....

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Just looking through this thread. I hate to tell ya guys, but those don't look like fishin' vests. Here's what mine looks like. It's a fishing vest!

I agree with you Bro.. These quasi-tactical or so called "cameraman" vests are rarely ever used in manner to actually carry gear and supplies. The fishing vest is especially deigned to carry "stuff" and its a poor alternative for anything else. The "quasi-tactical" vest is commonly and often a cover garment which visually goes along (stylistically) with combat/cargo pants, rigger belts, squad shirts and the like. That is why so many people consider them a "cue". MUch like the fanny pack.. it is often considered a cue. It doent mean that someone isn't carrying their diabetic supplies, they might be. That said, it still suggests "gun" in the mind of much of the population.

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
always ask show me a case in which this happened.
Its hard to say when that information is not a box to be checked in a report or often highlighted in any new report. I would be willing to bet that if someone suggested that it was a bad idea to leap from a second story balcony while utilizing an umbrella as a parachute.. not many would demand statistical data to support the claim. The fact of the matter is that personal presentation is fairly in depth subject in regards to mitigating dangers and potential threats to your personal safety. It is part of personal [life-safety] strategic training all around the world. There are certain cues that suggest "gang member", there are certain cues that suggest "dug deal", there are certain cues that suggest that a person is likely "armed" where and by what means. That being a good or bad thing greatly depends on who forming the determination, their intent and what happening. A person can believe or disbelieve that certain clothing types are a cue of sorts. Good guys have "awareness" techniques and methods and so do bad-guys. To pretend otherwise is can be naïve at best and biased at worst.

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
I read all the posts. Howard's vest is a vest with pockets. I don't care if he's wearing it or not -- he looks like a cop. He'd look like a cop if he was wearing a beach shirt and shorts. :smile:
I don't wear a vest unless I'm fishing, and I showed ya what my fishing vest looks like. I wear a flannel shirt untucked over my T-shirt about 7 months a year, and a Columbia-type fishing shirt untucked over my t-shirt the rest of the time.
When I worked, I had to wear khaki dress pants and a tucked button-up or tucked polo shirt. Now I don't.
Maybe a cop or a BG can spot if I'm carrying, but it doesn't matter much imo.

81 - 94 of 94 Posts