Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well down Thursday over 2400 points worse since black Monday of the '80s.
Now today futures are up sharply past the limit.
Way up one day way down the next.
I know i am just a simple old cowboy, but what changes so much in 24 hours to warrant such changes?
Are these stock market guys that scared of everything or are they just playing stupid games with our money and retirement.
They need to man up and ride this out .

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
High volatility reflects investor uncertainty about the future. DO NOT SELL into this market since you will then turn paper losses into real dollar losses. Rather consider bargain shopping if you have extra cash lying around in low-return accounts.

·
Registered
7,868 Posts
All I can think of is maybe the upswings are from people buying in while it’s low, thinking it’s near bottom? I’ve been thinking about buying some while it’s down. Just trying to find the right time to start buying.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Yeah, our advisor said that China's market took a beating for about 3 months because of the panic surrounding the virus, but it is back better than ever, and recouped most of its losses in about a 3 week span. We're riding it out and looking for bargains.

·
Registered
159 Posts
The US stock market has always "bounced back"...literally every single time it has crashed in history. Every single time.

Only suckers sell off low...rich guys are buying right now.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
My financial adviser called me yesterday to reassure me that my investments were in solid instruments (knew this anyway) so just hang in there. I told him I was getting ready to run my car into a bridge abutment at high speed. He understood. He was getting off the elevator on the 60th floor to see what it looked like outside [heh, heh].

Hang in there, the market will come back. But my one comment to this is we brought it all on ourselves after WWII by slowly moving manufacturing off shore and opening the door to so much foreign trade of things we used to make right here in the U.S.A. A country cannot survive when it gives up its manufacturing base. Trump is tying to get this back and he's right. We really need to once again be the world leader in the production of goods.

·
Premium Member
7,348 Posts
Well down Thursday over 2400 points worse since black Monday of the '80s.
Now today futures are up sharply past the limit.
Way up one day way down the next.
I know i am just a simple old cowboy, but what changes so much in 24 hours to warrant such changes?
Are these stock market guys that scared of everything or are they just playing stupid games with our money and retirement.
They need to man up and ride this out .
Lots of the sell off is driven by investors selling their own assets, which is crazy if you don't need the money right now.

Unless you need the money now, you should hold on. If you sell now you only lock in your losses.

Back in '08 I had 18k in one stock - Sirius - and during the crash it dove to $600. I kid you not, $600. It was down to $0.12 a share in early '09. I rode it out and eventually sold it for $21k. Not a great return over five years, but given the meltdown, I was satisfied. I was a bit annoyed with myself when I realized I should have dumped a bunch of money into the stock when it was $0.12 a share. But that's hindsight.

Unfortunately I just put a fair amount in the market after the first 10% sell off last week. And then this happens. Oh well, I don't need the money now, and in five years it will be more than if I had just left it in some CD.

Have patience, people.

·
Registered
Various
15,546 Posts
I added some last week when it was down 10%. I am thinking about adding some more. My investments are in the S&P 500 ETF SPY and the NASDAQ ETF QQQ.

For a few years after I retired, I was day trading. Over time, I did better than the overall stock market, but spent hours a day researching, following, and trading stocks. You can win some big ones, but also loose some big ones.

I followed one company that under promised and over supplied with a jump higher for many consecutive quarters. I purchased a large holding just as the market was closing. A couple of minutes later, they announced their quarterly earnings, It was their first ever miss on quarterly earnings. The stock was down 17% in a flash.

My yearly average was better than the S&P 500 with lots of hard work. I have only invested in the two ETFs since then, never all in or all out.

·
Premium Member
2,854 Posts
Got to ride it out but I have lost enough money this week to buy a small house. Painful but I'm in it for the long run. I did pull back out of the international markets as I figured that they are more vulnerable than the US market.

It is what it is.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The market will eventually come back. The problem is that it comes back up a whole lot slooooooower than what it goes down.

·
Registered
7,868 Posts
The US stock market has always "bounced back"...literally every single time it has crashed in history. Every single time.

Only suckers sell off low...rich guys are buying right now.
I created an etrade account today. The Dow went up about 500 points while creating the account. :frown: Unfortunately it takes several days before I can actually make purchases so I’m curious what the market will do. I have stuff I can do with my money no matter what the market does next week though.

Reactions: Any Day Now

·
Registered
33,980 Posts
I created an etrade account today. The Dow went up about 500 points while creating the account. :frown: Unfortunately it takes several days before I can actually make purchases so I’m curious what the market will do. I have stuff I can do with my money no matter what the market does next week though.
Invest in paper.

Reactions: Havok

·
Registered
181 Posts
I’m not smart enough to pick individual stocks. Learned that in 2000 by buying at the top. In ‘08, committed to getting back in via QQQ and SPY, right at the bottom. Diversified, but continued to dollar average since. This correction will recover. Though, there will be new winners.

Thursday was an unwinding, exacerbated by HFT, margins, and panic among retail investors. Friday, the big money, newly funded by the Fed climbed back in. I expect they will shake the market for awhile before we once again see regular upward trends. I continue, like many, to purchase every pay cycle through my 401k. I may rebalance. I definitely won’t be betting the farm on any extravagant or risky trades.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Stock Market Billionaires are made on public hysteria. While the newbies are dumping, the sharks are buying. Today was one of those days that the sharks won.

you wanna see "volatile"? Type in the ticker symbol QLD. Proshares Ultra QQQ is an ETF not for the faint of heart.

ProShares Ultra QQQ QLD

Investors seeking to make big gains in a short span can bet on QLD. It provides twice the return of the NASDAQ-100 Index’s daily performance and exchanges more than a million shares in hand on average. The fund has an AUM of $2.3 billion, and charges 95 bps in fees and expenses. It has surged 83.8% so far this year.

Reactions: SmoothJazz

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I'm 10 years away from retirement yet, so I'm going to ride it out. Just a momentary blip on the chart.

I'm constantly, regularly buying, so the dollar-cost-averaging works in my favor in times like these, and doesn't really hurt that much when things are up...

Reactions: MMinSC

·
Registered
33,980 Posts
I'm 10 years away from retirement yet, so I'm going to ride it out. Just a momentary blip on the chart.

I'm constantly, regularly buying, so the dollar-cost-averaging works in my favor in times like these, and doesn't really hurt that much when things are up...
I'm in retirement but haven't had to draw upon any of my retirement funds, getting by comfortably on my SS and military retirement. While the value of my funds have dropped significantly, I'm a few years from mandatory withdrawals and expect the finances will have recovered by then. Or hope so anyhow. Until then, it's only a paper value.

Reactions: GraySkies

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
I'm in retirement but haven't had to draw upon any of my retirement funds, getting by comfortably on my SS and military retirement. While the value of my funds have dropped significantly, I'm a few years from mandatory withdrawals and expect the finances will have recovered by then. Or hope so anyhow. Until then, it's only a paper value.
Ditto in every respect. I don't have to take RMDs until 2026 under the revised tax rules.

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
The big investment firms have enough buying power to manipulate the stock price any direction they choose.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
I've been buying in a little bit at a time the last few weeks and will likely continue for a few more. Warren Buffet said something to the effect of "be greedy when others are scared, and be scared when others are greedy" I haven't sold a stock since I entered shortly before the Iraq invasion in the early 2000s.

I've never had all my money in stocks. I keep enough in less volatile lower risk and lower return funds to pay for emergencies and unexpected expenses as I hate the idea of having to sell from a stock fund that will generate taxable income.

Historically betting on the American economy for the long term has been a winner, but as they say "past results are not a guarantee of the future"
The whole thing may come crashing down one day. I just figure if it comes to that it won't matter what a computer says you have in this fund or that, and the ones who stuffed paper money in a mason jar will have little more than toilet paper substitute.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts