Defensive Carry banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
I'm 5 years away from one of those fancy 55+ communities. I got started late into a 401k. When the military came out with their "thrift savings plan" (401k) the kids were in high school, and as an E-5, with a son and daughter in high school, and a daughter in middle school, the funds just weren't there. Been paycheck to paycheck for a long time. When I got this job a bit over 5 years ago, and had the option for a 401k, I jumped on it. Started out with one of those year goal funds, but within a year or two, I realized that it wasn't producing the way I wanted. Moved the 401k funds into VIIIX, a Vanguard ETF that pays dividends, and has low expenses. Was happy with it until this craziness. I have a bit in the gun fund, that I may use this coming week to look for a few stocks to sit on until this garbage is over.

Also thinking about either increasing the percentage going into the 401k, or taking what I would use for that and starting an IRA. I'm a bitconcerned about retirement funding, since I have the wife's disability, plus my retirement and disability from my service. Between those, a 55+ community should be easily affordable. But...

Honestly, I am concerned about funding retirement. Don't have anyone here locally that I trust to discuss this with. There is no one I work with that is in or has been in my position. The advisers for the brokerage I go through are noncommittal when I ask questions. All that leaves me with is doing my own research, and hoping it sticks long enough to make good decisions.

Sorry. That got a bit more in depth than I was expecting. But, I'm not going to edit it out. Hopefully, one of the august members here, might have some advice.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
I am mostly retired and my portfolio is down 18%. But I am not worried about it. First, there is nothing I can do about it. Second, when this crisis is over, it will rebound. It always does. And third, I don't depend on it for day-to-day.

·
Registered
33,980 Posts
Honestly, I am concerned about funding retirement. Don't have anyone here locally that I trust to discuss this with. There is no one I work with that is in or has been in my position. The advisers for the brokerage I go through are noncommittal when I ask questions. All that leaves me with is doing my own research, and hoping it sticks long enough to make good decisions.

Sorry. That got a bit more in depth than I was expecting. But, I'm not going to edit it out. Hopefully, one of the august members here, might have some advice.
My wife and went with Edwards Jones a few years back. She had an IRA that wasn't doing much, and the guy who worked it never called or anything. Too small of an amount to be troubled with I guess. So she went to this EJ fellow, a very nice young guy who is a carbon copy of racer Carl Edwards, and he rolled her IRA over into several funds that have done really well-until the last couple of weeks anyhow.

I had several 401 accounts and IRA mutual funds, and I let him review them for his opinions. A week or so later he called us in and said in his opinion, all but one were good investments and should do well, but one he was sure he could beat. So I let him roll that over and he also did well with that--again until the market dump.

He called about day three of the dump and asked if I was nervous and wanted to cash out, which I said I wasn't happy--who would be--but I had been letting the market investments roll through several of these events and it always comes back stronger. He said he had a matured CD of ours and would like permission to invest it when the time was right. I told him to go for it.

We've basically turned the majority of our investments over to him and cannot complain about his performance. Would everyone who signs up with EJ be as happy? I can't say. Even with the current crash our investments is still worth more than what we've put into it.

·
Premium Member
2,493 Posts
Stock Market Billionaires are made on public hysteria. While the newbies are dumping, the sharks are buying. Today was one of those days that the sharks won.

you wanna see "volatile"? Type in the ticker symbol QLD. Proshares Ultra QQQ is an ETF not for the faint of heart.

ProShares Ultra QQQ QLD

Investors seeking to make big gains in a short span can bet on QLD. It provides twice the return of the NASDAQ-100 Index’s daily performance and exchanges more than a million shares in hand on average. The fund has an AUM of $2.3 billion, and charges 95 bps in fees and expenses. It has surged 83.8% so far this year.
I like QQQ and have been in it also TQQQ is scary but QLD even scarier which is down 20 percent for the YTD
buts been deeper than that.....If the futures are green you could toss some cash at it and see what happens if your so bold
but I would never touch it -
As of friday close we were up on the dow +1900 points,monday if we are green again may be a signal we left
bottom but of its red again would indicate were still in the mud -

21 - 25 of 25 Posts