Defensive Carry banner

261 - 280 of 1916 Posts

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
K frame fan

Gosh, my 3 inch model 66 has drawn a lot of comment! Thanks for the compliments. This gun is still new to me, as I bought it a few months ago from the original owner who had it a number of years and didn't really shoot it much, as he was more into rifles than pistols. I was fortunate to find it, as the 3 inch 66s are not too common.

Lately I have focused my interest somewhat on these pre-lock S&W snubbies in K frame size, and have bought 3 of them this year. I like their trigger feel and the way they look, and think they are still relatively good values in the $450 to $550 range compared to S&W current production. Shown below are two others I have, a blued 19-5 with 2.5 inch barrel, and a stainless 66-3 with 2.5 inch barrel:

·
Registered
1 Posts
snubbies

new here. i traded taurus 941 22 mag for a ruger sp101 8 rounds to 5. couldnt put up with double action trigger on taurus. Sure like this ruger! I had to add $100 . did I over pay?

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
A warm fuzzy feeling is a SPYDERCO Endura 4 in your left pocket and a S&W 642 in your right pocket!

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
No pics, but I have a 2 1/4 in. SP-1019(bought less than a month ago)that will become my main summer off-duty carry, just need to qualify with it and get a good IWB holster.

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #268
I have a 36 from the same era, I love it even though it hardly ever leaves the safe. Its a real nice shooter.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I like my D.M. Bullard very much.

OhShoot, its a beautiful holster. Unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to use it as there isnt an option for a thumbbreak. My dept. requires active retention for off-duty holsters.

·
Registered
440 Posts
OhShoot, its a beautiful holster. Unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to use it as there isnt an option for a thumbbreak. My dept. requires active retention for off-duty holsters.
IWB holster w/thumbbreak is rare.

I've only seen it in a couple of cheapies ... Bianchi makes one.
Again, though, it will probably be in a single center clip on design, which really sucks, as it places extra bulk and rigidity right on center where holster is already thickest.

You should appeal that dept. policy. Most IWB holsters are quite secure without thumbbreak. I'm sure mine would retain even if I were upside down.

- OS

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
New S&W 19-5 snubby

Last week I found another of the S&W K frame snubbies I seem to covet lately. This one is a 19-5 with an unusual history and finish. The US State Department has a Diplomatic Security Service responsible for protection of diplomats and embassy property. During the 1980s and early 1990s their issue sidearm was a S&W model 19 snubby with a special black matte finish instead of the usual polished blue finish. I found an unfired one of these in a collection being sold, and bought it for $445.

In 1996 the DSS went from the S&W 19 to the Sig P228, and sold off the remaining model 19s. Here is mine:

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
IWB holster w/thumbbreak is rare.

I've only seen it in a couple of cheapies ... Bianchi makes one.
Again, though, it will probably be in a single center clip on design, which really sucks, as it places extra bulk and rigidity right on center where holster is already thickest.

You should appeal that dept. policy. Most IWB holsters are quite secure without thumbbreak. I'm sure mine would retain even if I were upside down.

- OS
I agree its rare, but I've found a couple quality makers who have that option for IWB. K&D, Andrews and Garritys all make IWB with thumbbreak option according to their website. I just need to make the final decision of which maker. I've got a couple cheapie IWBs, one for my issued G21(Desantis) and one for my Ruger P345(Jaypee). I agree most quality holsters are very secure without thumbbreak but I dont believe the policy will change any time in the near future.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I agree its rare, but I've found a couple quality makers who have that option for IWB. K&D, Andrews and Garritys all make IWB with thumbbreak option according to their website. I just need to make the final decision of which maker. I've got a couple cheapie IWBs, one for my issued G21(Desantis) and one for my Ruger P345(Jaypee). I agree most quality holsters are very secure without thumbbreak but I dont believe the policy will change any time in the near future.
Well, at least you found a couple of good ones so far...better than I expected. Hopefully, one of these will provide a comfortable, well-concealed, and departmentally legit way to carry your Ruger.

best,
- OS

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
OhShoot, I think one of those holsters will fit the bill nicely for IWB for my snubbie. And I'll have time to wait for the holster as I'm not going to qualify with either of my off-duty guns until I get quality holsters. So I will have until next April to receive the holsters.

261 - 280 of 1916 Posts