Defensive Carry banner

1901 - 1916 of 1916 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
I've had about 5 and the 856 in stainless is real temptin'.
Yeah, the 856 in stainless is temptin' for me too. But then I have to ask myself WHY? I already have the 605 in stainless and it shoots .38 special, .38+P, AND .357 with 5 shots.
It's a dynamite little gun and easy to carry in the pocket.

The 856 gives 6 rounds but no .357. Is one more with .38 and .38+P that big of a deal compared to 5 of .357?

I know what I'm going to do. For about the same amount of money I'll buy another 605 which will give me 10 rounds of .357 compared to 6 of .38+P in the 856.

And the current 605ss is soooooo sweet. Hopefully the next one won't be the "mean redhead".

(don't mind me...I just needed to sell myself with some convoluted thinking)

·
Registered
6,390 Posts
My twin SP101s give me plenty of power with the Gold Dot Short Barrel load...and take .357 if I ever want to stop a tank.

I'm still missin' my last SS 431...looks like they don't have a snub .44 Spl right now.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Get a 617. 7 rounds of .357 in a stainless snubby.

https://www.taurususa.com/firearms/revolvers/617/
Trust me, I have thought about doing it. The specs provided look like it's outside the limits for pocket carry which I can only do. I do have 7 in .357 with a S&W 686 Plus in 3" barrel. Too long and heavy unless OWB.

The length of the 617 is doable but the height, width, and weight are pushing it out of bounds.

Height
5.30"

Width
1.50"

Weight (empty)
28.00 oz.

Barrel Length
2.00"

Overall Length
6.63"

·
Registered
915 Posts
Get a 617. 7 rounds of .357 in a stainless snubby.

https://www.taurususa.com/firearms/revolvers/617/
I handled one in a pawn shop once. It felt soo top heavy to me, that I passed without so much as a second thought. I wonder what it would feel like loaded. This is one that you might need to handle first and not let a spec sheet get you too all excited. Then again, we are all different in what we like.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
With the stock small grip the 617 is a little top heavy to me. I put the Ribber Grip on but, it felt a little fat. I put the Hogue Grip on and it fits me the bests. It makes a good belt gun along with a 442 in my pocket. I’m still thinking about the 856. Who knows what I’ll end up doing. I change my mind all the time.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
I was just looking at the Taurus 856 on the warranty, previously it was 1 year and now Taurus has changed it to limited lifetime! To the original purchaser.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
I've had about 5 and the 856 in stainless is real temptin'. I've been lookin' for the M64 snub and have about given up. Taurus had some sweet .44s, but kept discontinuin'. Buyin' Taurus is kind of like datin' a mean redhead...they can be soooooo sweet...or they can be.........not.
I only have one snubbie, but it's the superduper king of snubbies & puts a big ol' grin on my face every time it goes BOOM!
I have held one of those in my hand, but I never noticed how the barrel is actually machined into the frame. That's pretty badass.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
It’s been over a year and this thread needs to be back up top!!!

View attachment 319666
This is funny. My last picture here, about six posts back is the same Two guns I’m carrying today. I was mostly carrying my Two 442s until I got back to Florida this Winter. For the past couple of months I carried my pocket 442 and a 3” S&W 36. A few days ago I felt the need to put the 36 away and bring out the 7 shooter again. Stay safe out there and always carry.

Attachments

1901 - 1916 of 1916 Posts