Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the time has come for our Firebase in the middle of nowhere in Afghanistan to shut down and redeploy to another site. This stretch has been a very long 10 months and I am ready for a break I am tired and my body is telling me it is time to soak in a hot tub somewhere.

I have been able to fire in excess of 8000 rounds of 9mm, untold amounts of 5.56 and 7.62 x 39 and fire ordnance you only dream about much of that in the last two weeks. I have been able to train others and been trained myself by some of the best military operators from the US Army Special Forces and NSW unit.

In my younger days I took the Army National Guards offer to go to nursing school and besides making a living at it in the states on occasion the skills that I acquired came in handy over here also. I am not sure how many from July to Sept with the other team but from Sept 2012 until today with this team we, the SF Medics, Army Medic and myself have seen over 100 Afghan Military, Police and civilian patients and completed 62 medevacs. We have treated everything from Malaria, flu, broken bones, amputations, diseases that have been eliminated in other parts of the world to gunshots wounds of every shape and origin. The youngest patient was a 6 month old little girl in respiratory distress to a 60 something year old goat and camel herder who lost both legs AKA and his right hand after picking up unexploded ordnance to sell and everything in between.

The little girl did not make it, after working on her for hours she took her last breath while I once giving her an updraft treatment. Within 30 seconds of her passing the father had her prepared for her burial and asked for a gatorade to drink on the way home. I am not saying anything bad about the father it is simply a fact of life here and death is an everyday thing.
I saw the triple amputee 7 weeks later when he was brought to us from about 12 klicks out in a wheelbarrow by his relative. The doctors at the next level did a fantastic job, his wounds were healing and we were able to get him a wheelchair so he was content.

I have been fortunate here to be able to complete procedures that an ER doctor only gets to read about. We have a pretty good record here. Out of all our patients I think we lost four. It is strange, you treat people with horrific injuries, get cleaned up and head to chow without a second thought. My faith, family and friends have allowed me to deal with it all. Some folks here on the forum and I communicate regularly on Skype or Yahoo and it means a lot.
Often times I was the medical provider for the camp depending on what mission everyone was on at that time. The best part is it is not even part of my job description. Small camps all work as a team there is nothing like it.

On April 15th of this year will mark 7 continuous years I have been a contractor. I started in this same province in 2006 with the DoS training the Afghan Police. I have survived rockets, mortars, IED's, being on the receiving end of some pretty damn accurate gunfire and some pretty wild helicopter rides. As I pack up please keep me and all of us in your thoughts and prayers as we head our separate ways. This will be the most dangerous time of the deployment.

I have a couple of stops to make to organize storage of weapons and equipment then on to Kandahar, Dubai, and home. Hopefully if all goes well I will be home by the end of the week.

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
Safe travels.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Thank you for your service, and for sharing your story.

I can't imagine how rewarding your work must be.

Get home safely, and enjoy a well-deserved break.

·
Registered
15,176 Posts
Stay safe it seems that when you get "Short" the risks seem to increase

·
Registered
209 Posts
Thank you for your service and dedication. Yes, be very careful on your return.

Former USAF Viet Nam

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Great post. Thank you for sharing some great insight and doing things most could not even imagine. Thoughts and prayers sent, get home safe, get home soon!

·
Premium Member
8,646 Posts
Thank you for your service and all you've done. Stay safe, you and your buddys are in my prayers for a smooth transition.

You've had some fascinating times and experiences, you should write a book.

·
Registered
278 Posts
My prayers are with you and I wish you safe travel and a wonderful return home.

Thank you, sincerely, for your service and dedication. It is truly appreciated. We, here at home, often forget about the freedoms and liberties that we have. We often take for granted the fact that freedom - is not free. And we often forget to say Thank You, enough.

Godspeed, my friend. You have served your Country and yourself well. Let us know upon your safe return.
saa.

·
Registered
7,679 Posts
Stay safe, it aint over 'til it's over. Thanks for all you have done and continue to do.

·
Registered
45,367 Posts
Congrats to a successful tour and welcome home soon!

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
Be safe Bro. That Burger, Hotdog, steak is waiting for you...:wink:

·
Registered
210 Posts
Wow, thanks for your service

Stay Safe

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
What a story and reflections, thank you for it and your service!

Many people here in the U.S. do not realize just how blessed we truly are. We take for granted the millions of things that others in places such as where you are would never have the hope of getting. It is a fact of life here too.

There are those who say we never should have gone there, never should have done this, that and whatever, but you have seen things that are possible to change and yet many think it is a wasted effort. It may be, but planting the seed of goodness is always the best. I think you have done an extremely good effort. Let's also hope the Afghans that you helped will also remember that as well.

I hope that when you return to the U.S., the welcome mat will be out and you come home to a grateful people. It is my prayer for your safe return!

Reactions: GaryB

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
God Speed & Semper Fi.

Reactions: 65108

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
Great read. Thanks for your service. Keep your head down and stay safe.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Thank you for your service! May you have a very warm welcome home waiting for you! I hope everything you have seen and done does not affect your everyday life in any negative ways! Thanks again!

·
Registered
21,471 Posts
Godspeed in your travels Tacman

1 - 20 of 91 Posts