Defensive Carry banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
24,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have two Beretta Bobcats. These are generally fun little 22 LR rimfires, small of stature, and inappropriate for concealed carry, but valuable in the arsenal nonetheless. The "Tip Up" barrel is certainly a nice "single shot" aid while training anyone when you want one round loading protocols exercised. Additionally, in the right circumstances, the tip up barrel eliminates the need to slingshot the action to load a round into the chamber. This may in fact be an "aid" for the weak and infirm, unable to grip the slide of a semi hard enough to load a round. The pistol is also SA / DA for enhanced trigger work.

22 LR Bobcat

The Bobcat also comes in 25 Auto which is an anemic, far from recommended caliber for concealed carry in my humble opinion.

Beretta has the Tomcat 32 Auto centerfire that could be carried.

Tomcat 32 Auto

Mine have the wooden grips.

Does anyone know of other easy to use / easy training type comparable? Do you have a favorite pistol for training?

What about those with hand or wrist injuries that need an easy manual of arms?

Other favorites?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
The Taurus tip up barrel 22lr is a good shooter, at the range I can get about 80 rounds through it and it will start to hang up with failure to eject.

22lr is dirty ammo and the gun has no ejector, but a quick cleaning and it is back shooting.

It is very accurate for what it is and fun to shoot, while 22lr is not considered a one shot drop man stopping defense round, but many folks have been killed by a 22lr.

As always shot placement is king, and 9-22lr in a very fast deliver system is not a toy.

·
Super Moderator
18,789 Posts
I love shooting .22 vest pocket automatics. One can fling bullets for fun and frolic and do it all afternoon for cheap entertainment. I regret trading away an Astra Cub .22 short pistol I once had. It was a hoot to shoot.

A good understudy for practice for those interested in carrying .25 automatics.

I ought to pick up one of these Beretta Bobcats. Wouldn't be much cash outlay. My brother-in-law has one and it offers good quality and decent function.

Reactions: Rock and Glock

·
Registered
9,893 Posts
I collect the tip up guns ..By far the best to get is the 950b lot smaller and better trigger imop and all Italy made ...The harder to find model is the 86 which is a tip up barrel 85 380 ..Very nice gun

By far the easier to use gun if you dont want to deal with trainer etc

The P7 imop is another due to the cocking system ..Ditto that odd China com clone that can be loaed by squeshing the trigger guard

·
Super Moderator
18,789 Posts
Found an old photo of my brother-in-laws tip-up Beretta automatics.

Reactions: Rock and Glock

·
Super Moderator
24,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, Recroom! I never knew about the 950B until you mentioned it, which caused me to go looking and find this article: Tip Up Barrels

They’ve been around now for almost seventy years—those little Beretta pocket pistols with the tip up barrels. Just what is the deal with those things and why would you want one? Keep reading.
In a .22 Short version with a seven shot single stack magazine, the Model 950 was called the Jetfire. This was by far the best received of the model and, at the time, boasted the best sales in the company’s history. Over the years, it became available in heavy blued or bright nickel finishes and with either plastic or wooden grips.
Bryan, thanks for the photos! That's a 950B no less! Paired with a 21A.

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
I like them.... and fun / good to shoot. Tomcat - .32 cal.

·
Registered
9,893 Posts
I have some of the post 950 and pre bobcat guns around good shooters ( unless I am mixing up the years again)

For anyone readin if you did get a tomcat get a wide slide or INOX the old org can crack ..The ally cat is another nice one as it has a night sights on a tomcat INOX frame though the sights by now are prob spent

1 - 8 of 8 Posts