Defensive Carry banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm too old to be fighting anyone, and I'm not going to kid or fool myself into thinking I'm likely going to come out on top in a h2h situation. I suppose that some h2h training is better than having none in a real world h2h fight, but either way I feel like I'd still just would be slightly delaying the inevitable. Odds aren't in my favor. That's just my personal opinion. Not referencing anyone here, but I have seen many older, overweight, out of shape gun owners who took a few karate class and IMHO aren't being realistic about how a h2h altercation will might play out when someone is moving and fighting back. I'm sure some will disagree with me though...

On an other note being that the conscious seems to be that most self defense shootings where our lives are in danger will take place suddenly within a short distance, do you believe sights will even be utilized in most cases? If someone is coming at us with a knife or other object or if we have to draw quickly on an armed perp in a real world situation, what percentage of people do you believe actually are using there sites vs point and shooting? Are we placing to much emphasis and training utilizing our sites vs point and shoot?
some of our training was point and shoot.It's amazing how you can hit the target without sites.

·
Premium Member
6,146 Posts
I only brought it up because from what I seen, most gun owners seem to train with using their iron or red dot sights only. They go to the range, shoot at a none moving target 7 yards or so away, get nice groups, and then think they're prepared. I'm guilty of this myself.
Years ago I had access to a range that allowed movement, different position, etc. I took advantage of shooting from kneeling, odd angles, and especially from the ground in different positions. Trajectory is an eye opener.

·
Premium Member
37,414 Posts
Years ago I had access to a range that allowed movement, different position, etc. I took advantage of shooting from kneeling, odd angles, and especially from the ground in different positions. Trajectory is an eye opener.
Drop down to one knee, and it's an entirely new game.

·
Registered
20,537 Posts
Drop down to one knee, and it's an entirely new game.
Just be careful......

I hit my knee yesterday on the trailer hitch of my truck and thought I was gonna puke.

·
Registered
42,862 Posts
Just be careful......

I hit my knee yesterday on the trailer hitch of my truck and thought I was gonna puke.
The nice thing about knee replacement is they're forever numb.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
The more comments that I read the more that I realize that we aren't talking as much about how accurately we might shoot to defend ourselves with a weapon as we are about the opportunity to survive an attack at different distances.
If you are attacked at 5 feet or less there is a very good chance that you won't be able to defend yourself by just drawing and shooting a gun at the attacker. But if they are 10 to 25 feet away then you have a better chance to defend yourself. Because distance is your ally your chances increase until you get to the distance where they might ambush you without you knowing it, (over 50 feet).
This tells me that situational awareness and the ability to react in a way that is advantageous to you is as important as the ability to draw and shoot accurately when the chips are down.
That maybe the most important way to survive is to guarantee that no dangerous person can get within that five feet. That we are aware of how close people come when they approach us and learn how to create more distance in a way that looks as natural as possible. Predators look for easy targets and they realize very quickly that you may not be an easy target.
I hear the sound of despair from those who are old and weak like many of us on here but we can use that fear to motivate us. Every time we see an incident where an elderly person is attacked we need to learn from that. To look closely at how that attack was carried out and what we can do to prevent or defend against it.
I get angry when I see where a thug walks past a seemingly helpless person and then turns and attacks them. But then I think about what the victim could have done to prevent the attack from happening. How being absorbed in their own weakness is an invitation for more misery but if they had done a few things to prevent an attack they might have prevented it
If you are old and weak carry a weapon that can be used to defend against a close contact attack in addition to a gun.

·
Registered
11,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
The more comments that I read the more that I realize that we aren't talking as much about how accurately we might shoot to defend ourselves with a weapon as we are about the opportunity to survive an attack at different distances.
If you are attacked at 5 feet or less there is a very good chance that you won't be able to defend yourself by just drawing and shooting a gun at the attacker. But if they are 10 to 25 feet away then you have a better chance to defend yourself. Because distance is your ally your chances increase until you get to the distance where they might ambush you without you knowing it, (over 50 feet).
This tells me that situational awareness and the ability to react in a way that is advantageous to you is as important as the ability to draw and shoot accurately when the chips are down.
That maybe the most important way to survive is to guarantee that no dangerous person can get within that five feet. That we are aware of how close people come when they approach us and learn how to create more distance in a way that looks as natural as possible. Predators look for easy targets and they realize very quickly that you may not be an easy target.
I hear the sound of despair from those who are old and weak like many of us on here but we can use that fear to motivate us. Every time we see an incident where an elderly person is attacked we need to learn from that. To look closely at how that attack was carried out and what we can do to prevent or defend against it.
I get angry when I see where a thug walks past a seemingly helpless person and then turns and attacks them. But then I think about what the victim could have done to prevent the attack from happening. How being absorbed in their own weakness is an invitation for more misery but if they had done a few things to prevent an attack they might have prevented it
If you are old and weak carry a weapon that can be used to defend against a close contact attack in addition to a gun.
You raise some very good points. What immediately comes to mind are situations like "the knockout game" which we haven't seen much lately.

Reactions: matthew03

·
Premium Member
37,414 Posts
You raise some very good points. What immediately comes to mind are situations like "the knockout game" which we haven't seen much lately.
Having to sign in on Google is a great way to ensure we don't see it much more in the future, either.

·
Registered
11,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Having to sign in on Google is a great way to ensure we don't see it much more in the future, either.
Sorry, I did not realize they make you sign in to watch that one. Most videos on there can be accessed without having an account. I have an account because I have a couple of Youtube channels.

Reactions: Mike1956

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Is this the distance where they're first engaged, or where they finally fall?

·
Registered
545 Posts
What I am about to suggest (category: food for thought) increases your chance of avoiding/winning an attack. And that is arranging your life so that you go places, to the maximum extent possible, during the least busy times.

I'm going to Home Depot in a few minutes. They will just be open when I get there. It's Sunday morning. There will be very few people in the store, very few cars in the parking lot etc.

Without lifting a finger, I have greatly improved my survivability on this trip while simultaneously improved the odds in a close in fight. There will be less people (easier to keep an eye on), more space between them, etc.

I realize not everyone has the freedom to so pick and choose their time for "insertion". I developed this habit directly out of Covid 19, because I wanted to avoid close contact from that attacker as well.

So while close in attacks are still scary, and I can still find myself in one, I am suggesting we consider all angles of self-defense, including not being there in the 1st place.... to the maximum extent possible.

·
Registered
11,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
What I am about to suggest (category: food for thought) increases your chance of avoiding/winning an attack. And that is arranging your life so that you go places, to the maximum extent possible, during the least busy times.

I'm going to Home Depot in a few minutes. They will just be open when I get there. It's Sunday morning. There will be very few people in the store, very few cars in the parking lot etc.

Without lifting a finger, I have greatly improved my survivability on this trip while simultaneously improved the odds in a close in fight. There will be less people (easier to keep an eye on), more space between them, etc.

I realize not everyone has the freedom to so pick and choose their time for "insertion". I developed this habit directly out of Covid 19, because I wanted to avoid close contact from that attacker as well.

So while close in attacks are still scary, and I can still find myself in one, I am suggesting we consider all angles of self-defense, including not being there in the 1st place.... to the maximum extent possible.
I'm going to Home Depot this morning, too....

·
Registered
5,248 Posts

Seemingly small decisions can help a great deal with avoidance of trouble.
We are going to Washington next week to visit kids and grand kids. It's a no gun trip for me. They live north of Seattle but, I spend another 20 minutes in the car to go around Seattle proper. I know driving through downtown on the freeway is likely a non issue but, I don't want to break down there or have a medical emergency there, etc.

·
Premium Member
37,414 Posts
Seemingly small decisions can help a great deal with avoidance of trouble.
We are going to Washington next week to visit kids and grand kids. It's a no gun trip for me. They live north of Seattle but, I spend another 20 minutes in the car to go around Seattle proper. I know driving through downtown on the freeway is likely a non issue but, I don't want to break down there or have a medical emergency there, etc.
Just curious. Why is it a "no-gun" trip?

41 - 60 of 67 Posts