Defensive Carry banner

61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
Just curious. Why is it a "no-gun" trip?
They do not honor my permit. Their out of state permit would require too much time and money and I would have to make several trips over (11 hours one way) to get it done because every step has to be in person. Takes several months.
I could open carry but, they set up enough pitfalls that make it very hard to stay legal like driving (any loaded gun in a vehicle is considered concealed),etc. not to mention open carry in a very anti-gun area I don't consider worth the hassle.

·
Premium Member
37,427 Posts
They do not honor my permit. Their out of state permit would require too much time and money and I would have to make several trips over (11 hours one way) to get it done because every step has to be in person. Takes several months.
I could open carry but, they set up enough pitfalls that make it very hard to stay legal like driving (any loaded gun in a vehicle is considered concealed),etc. not to mention open carry in a very anti-gun area I don't consider worth the hassle.
Got it. I know Washington honors my Ohio license, and never really looked at any further. I didn't realize that only ten states enjoy Washington reciprocity.

I go to Maryland frequently, where no out-of-state licenses are recognized.

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
Got it. I know Washington honors my Ohio license, and never really looked at any further. I didn't realize that only ten states enjoy Washington reciprocity.

I go to Maryland frequently, where no out-of-state licenses are recognized.
If you go to Washington's AG website they list the reasons for denial of every state they don't honor.
For Wyoming its "No mandatory mental health check" and "Wyoming issues permits to those under 21 yrs old".

·
Registered
283 Posts
i really enjoy shooting at 25 yards because i don't hit any paper so i can use the target over and over again. cuts down on costs
In one of the classes I took one student mentioned 30 yard practice, and his explanation was. Suppose your loved one was just killed, and the guy runs away. What would you prefer, get him and go to jail or let him get away with it? He said he doesn't know what his split second decision would be, but he better be able to do it if...

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Engaging at 30yds ? Given the motivation that you mentioned, how could you miss? And face a long and tedious trial, depending on the circumstances.
But snap shooting at inside 3 yrds? If you know what you're doing, it's at least as effective as a knife at that distance.
Perhaps even a bit more so.

·
Premium Member
37,427 Posts
In one of the classes I took one student mentioned 30 yard practice, and his explanation was. Suppose your loved one was just killed, and the guy runs away. What would you prefer, get him and go to jail or let him get away with it? He said he doesn't know what his split second decision would be, but he better be able to do it if...
I practice longer shots with different what ifs in mind--what if the person who needs shot right now is thirty yards away?

·
Premium Member
37,427 Posts
Engaging at 30yds ? Given the motivation that you mentioned, how could you miss? And face a long and tedious trial, depending on the circumstances.
But snap shooting at inside 3 yrds? If you know what you're doing, it's at least as effective as a knife at that distance.
Perhaps even a bit more so.
Inside two yards, I would probably rather have knife in hand than gun in holster.

61 - 67 of 67 Posts