Defensive Carry banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK wheelie freaks - here is my aquisition from last Saturday at the Tulsa Gun Show - came in to my dealer this afternoon.

Though I would have liked to find a good 'dash 2' to have a P&R, this is still very pleasing - very tight, good overall finish and I'd say a 98% specimen. Probably not had huge thruput of ammo.

I have a 4" 629 but while nice, it is a dash 6 and has the darned spider hole, plus, always wanted this earlier .44 N frame to complement my 27's. This is a beautiful revolver, well to me anyways! While I love the 5" in the 27, the 6" with the 29 also seems about the ideal ''balance'' - looks right.

Lovely tho Smith old style blue is - when it comes to taking pics, boy does it ever show lint and, also hard to get an even tone whether oiled or free of oil. Small price to pay for such a finish tho.

Seems to date to late 1984.

·
Super Moderator
22,003 Posts
Nice Chris, very nice! :congrats:

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bud - to quote from my description in first post -
I have a 4" 629 but while nice, it is a dash 6 and has the darned spider hole, plus, always wanted this earlier .44 N frame

·
Super Moderator
25,533 Posts
That was a great find, looks like new in the pic's.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I confess Rick - there is a small, relatively insignificant ding on the grips and due to always having lint specks etc - the pics have been quite well cleaned up.

That does help make the blue look (even) better :wink:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Super nice wheel gun. Congratulations and enjoy.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Very nice! Course I saw it first hand, looked nearly new to me.

I picked up a Stevens Favorite, made first year of production, 1894. Always wanted one for some reason. The gun was in quite nice condition, considering its age, although the bore looked really bad, covered with rust. I couldn't figure out why the gun was so nice and the bore was so bad.

I took it to the gunsmith Tuesday and he explained it to me, "black powder". Of course! Anyway the barrel should be relined in a couple weeks and the rest of the little rifle checked out fine. Jack even fired it into his trap and it functions great.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Hey Chris, I picked up a 29 awhile back, not as slick as yours but still in great shape. How do you determine the age? Is there a web site? Thanks!!

·
Registered
262 Posts
"I know what you're thinking. Did he fire six shots or only five? Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya punk?"

Dirty Harry 1971

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Adrian - the immortal words that gun always carries now :18: (shucks, was that really 35 years ago - ouch!)

Larry - yes of course, black powder - had not even given that thought. Well glad you are getting it renovated because it is one very sweet rifle and of such historic interest too.

Gunnutty - I have a ref book - ''Std catalog of Smith & Wesson'', 2nd edition. This gives info on model changes - the evolution if you will of a particular model and also some serial number sequence info which helps place a gun's DOB. Well worth having on the book shelf.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Very nice. Looks like the trip was well worth it.
Mike

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
About 10 years ago I had a similar revolver in .45LC... I wanna say Model 25? Yes/No?

Anyway, I hope you have as much fun with yours as I did with mine. Every time one of those "what do you regret getting rid of?" threads comes up, that's the one I think of. :frown:

Congrats!

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Robb yes, probably the M25 - I have a newish one (with spider hole) - but would love an older one sans lock - one day maybe.

I have other stuff in .44 mag but the M29 is rather special and nicely compliments my other N frame older models. I hope to get some rounds thru it before too long, now weather is warming up.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Very nice Chris !
Wanna trade ? Gotta nice Ruger .44 mag superblackhawk old model XR3 frame to trade ....

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey Art - where ya bin - not seen ya for a few days!

Thx for trade offer but have a Super BH so - single action .44 is covered :wink: Nice guns too I might add - just different category.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts