Defensive Carry banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see this question all the time. This is what I do.

First research the gun if there's been any problems see what's out there and the prices.

Second go to the lgs feel them handle them. Anoy them ask questions its there job if there "to busy" go somewhere else.

Third if possible go to the range rent and shoot it.

Then make your choice most of the major manufactuers have the same reliabilty and the same with the different calibers they will all get the job done. Its what you want and what you like. Don't let some one else sway your descion beacuse they love theres, you will be shooting it and buying it get what you want.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Good points....Like most people here this "What to buy" question almost always turns into the "What to buy NEXT" question!

·
Premium Member
10,172 Posts
I see this question all the time. This is what I do.

First research the gun if there's been any problems see what's out there and the prices.

Second go to the lgs feel them handle them. Anoy them ask questions its there job if there "to busy" go somewhere else.

Third if possible go to the range rent and shoot it.

Then make your choice most of the major manufactuers have the same reliabilty and the same with the different calibers they will all get the job done. Its what you want and what you like. Don't let some one else sway your descion beacuse they love theres, you will be shooting it and buying it get what you want.
But the computer always gives me the correct answer and tells me what I should do next. :wink:

·
Banned
1,353 Posts
What gun shouldn't I buy? I want them all!

Reactions: Bmoliv66

·
Registered
192 Posts
kind of like asking "what kind of car should i buy?" all you'll hear is what 50 other people would buy.

·
Registered
988 Posts
That's sorta like asking which girl you should marry :smlove2:

·
Banned
3,342 Posts
Agree with the concept of renting and using and trying out fit and feel at a gun show and at a gun range.

But in general, I'd break down the 'guns to get' in some categories.

1. Range gun. This would be one that's relatively inexpensive to fire (9mm?), larger than your EDC, since weight is not an option. There might be quibbles, but in general you want to set up so that going to the range is always a fun activity and one you do for a long time.
2. EDC gun - this might be one in the same caliber as the range gun, but smaller, perhaps a single stack by the same manufacturer to as to fell similar. Specificity of training transfer.
3. BUG gun. One that you have in your bathrobe pocket around the house, one that is always with you when you can't have your EDC. It also serves as the BUG if you are in a gunfight and have to give up your EDC as evidence.

There are other categories beyond these, including long guns, shot guns, home defense guns, but these are my primary three conceptual gun needs. One additional concept is the 'what will you be carrying, deploying, employing five years down the road?'. Here you're getting past the novelty, dealing with boredom, trying to see your firearm as a tool like your EDC cell phone, watch or wallet. Lots of people end up with smaller, lighter guns, or stop carrying at times. It's something each person has to evaluate for themselves.

In our case, we think the best method is to have several types of 9mm, each of which can exchange ammunition, and some of which can exchange magazines.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I spend hours upon hours researching, reading/watching reviews, pricing different sources, reading forums, drooling over pictures, etc, etc...

And then end up getting something else from my 'want' list entirely...

Sometimes it just comes down to opportunity.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
The wonderful world of guns, so many out there and the decision of which one for you. Hold them, shoot them if you can, and enjoy the one you decide on.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I spend hours upon hours researching, reading/watching reviews, pricing different sources, reading forums, drooling over pictures, etc, etc...

And then end up getting something else from my 'want' list entirely...

Sometimes it just comes down to opportunity.
same here. i was waiting for SR9Cs to arrive at the LGS. when they finally told me it might be months, i started looking in the display case. happened upon the PX4 Storm sc and couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just hoping that someone will take everyone's advice here and get the gun you want not what someone else likes.

·
Registered
9,345 Posts
In the 70's I was going to college, one of the school security guards had a small pocket .25 caliber I kind of made fun of it, asking what it wanted to be when it grew up. He basically explained why he carried it. It was a neat pocket carry.

·
Premium Member
9,422 Posts
That's sorta like asking which girl you should marry :smlove2:
From reading the posts on this forum, I dare say that many of the men here did not have that many choices.... :smile:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts