Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
143,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would put the pic here but, I am not "hot linking" to any photo on any web site with cia.gov in the web URL address plus a copyright notice. :rofl:
See The Actual PIC Of It - Click Here

"The Wild Wild West"
CBS-TV
1965-9

One of James West’s most popular gadgets is the secret sleeve device. As performed by Robert Conrad, West first used this mechanism in the series’ pilot episode, "The Night of the Inferno." Strapped to his right forearm under his jacket, the device would cause a derringer to slide forward into West’s hand when he triggered it to do so. A standard part of West’s spy gear, the gadget is used regularly throughout the series. Most of the time, it is the derringer that is attached; at other times there is a tube of acid, or some other life-saving attachment.

This is the original prop sleeve device that Conrad used while playing Jim West in this popular TV series. While it doesn’t have the derringer attached, its spring-ejection capability remains in excellent working order.

WHAT IF...An engineer could come up with a WORKING device that actually would present a firearm DERRINGER or Maybe a NAA or a little Walther TPH .22 (from up your sleeve) right into the palm of your hand. Cool! :cool:

First:...would it be legal for concealed carry?

Second: Would it have any practical application "in real life?"

Third: Would you buy one?
:confused:

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
Not sure about leage i supposed it could ahve a real life application as for would i buy one no

Dont thing it would work for me

·
Super Moderator
19,008 Posts
I would worry about a malfunction at an inopportune time. Also the ATF would or has probably deemed em illegal.

·
Administrator
143,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't remember

I don't remember...in The Wild West....did that contraption just put the Derringer in the palm of his hand or did it Auto-Shoot it when it popped out of his sleeve?

·
Registered
521 Posts
I can't see how it would/could be illegal? of course i'm no legal eagle.
its concealed but thats what yer looking for right.
now the malfunction issue is very valid.
have it hang up on yer sleeve or such thing....bad.
i kinda like it for a B.U.G. idea though.

·
Super Moderator
25,558 Posts
QKShooter said:
I don't remember...in The Wild West....did that contraption just put the Derringer in the palm of his hand or did it Auto-Shoot it when it popped out of his sleeve?
I think it just put the gun in his hand....... :confused:

·
Super Moderator
22,133 Posts
It just put the Derringer in the palm of his hand.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Something similar can be seen on the bad guy in the Arnold movie Red Heat. Also, Sykes' and Fairbain's "Shooting to Live" alludes to a device like this being made by a doctor they were aquainted with. They talk about it in the final section I believe where the Fitz Special is covered. I am curious as to how it is triggered so that a casual movement like reaching for the butter dish at dinner doesn't shoot your gun across the table. You may be able to utilize a setup similar to that used on artifical limbs that allows the upper arm muscles to control the hooks at the hand.

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
Naaaa... it would probably activate at the most in-opportune and unusual time..

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
I recall this style of device in a movie - I know in Marathon Man Laurence Olivier had a virtual switchblade up his arm (IIRC).

It could work but as has been said - potential for malfunction is maybe too great. It would only be concealed and so not illegal I'd have thought - it is only as considered by me a ''presentation'' method - firing still has to be a very active process once in the hand.

Clothing choice too and obviously - would be of paramount importance.

·
Administrator
143,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I could see myself reaching for some Popcorn & Whoops! - sendin' that Derringer sailing out onto the movie theater floor! :rofl:

·
Registered
62 Posts
You talkin' to me?

{Travis Bickel, talking to himself in mirror}
You talkin' to me??... (whips out sleeve gun)

Taxi Driver, 1976, Robert De Niro

·
Registered
814 Posts
I believe James Garner carried one of these, among SEVERAL others in Maverick.

For me personally, I wouldn't carry one. Too great of a chance for a malfunction. Besides, in south Texas, long sleeves get hot in the 10 month summer.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Jeff Goldblume carried one in Silverado...

I guess in theory it would work but I don't think it's very practical (or prudent). I don't know how common such devices actually may have been but it seems that they were usually the choice of gamblers who seldom did anything more strenuous than dealing cards. For anyone who actually moves around much at all, I don't think it'd work too well.

Some time back I actually experimented with trying to come up with a "sleeve knife" apparatus (inspired by movies and western novels) but was never successful in finding anything that was either fast or consistent.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I would agree that such a device would be legal, unless your state has a law like "switch-derringers are prohibited". Nothing like that in CO.

I wouldn't go to such trouble for a 1 or 2-shot Derringer. Now if I could have something that would instantly whip my G21 into my hand...yes! I recall such a device, called a power-holster, was used by Harry Harrison in the 1960 SF novel Deathworld.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Maybe an activation device in the other sleeve, or a device that required you to swing the arm such that the centrifugal effect would start it down the sleeve and past a certain point the spring would take over...

But I wouldn't use one down here in FL, and would want it hooked up to a gun with a triggerguard & some other safety device.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
HiWayMan said:
Something similar can be seen on the bad guy in the Arnold movie Red Heat. Also, Sykes' and Fairbain's "Shooting to Live" alludes to a device like this being made by a doctor they were aquainted with. They talk about it in the final section I believe where the Fitz Special is covered. I am curious as to how it is triggered so that a casual movement like reaching for the butter dish at dinner doesn't shoot your gun across the table. You may be able to utilize a setup similar to that used on artifical limbs that allows the upper arm muscles to control the hooks at the hand.
The main character in the movie TAXI DRIVER starring DiNero had a similar device and it showed how it was actuated. That was a cool movie. Especially the last 15 min.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts