Defensive Carry banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’ve been aware of the products from The Wilderness for a long time. Their Instructor belt set an industry standard in nylon carry belts. They’re rugged and built to last a very long time and with heavy, daily use. I’ve been wearing one for quite some time, I know.

Anyway…..the Safepacker is one of their original products and they’ve sold a blue million of them since the early 80’s. For my own part, I’ve kind of ignored them for a long while as a viable solution for carry. Big mistake on my part. Once I started really looking at them it hit me that the Safepacker is an extremely versatile tool for carry.

While in the Wilderness store in north Phoenix, I played with various blue-gun models (actually silver) to figure out what sized Safepacker I wanted that offered the most flexibility in fitting different firearms. Unlike a molded holster, you can play with these a little bit. I’m sure that the Wilderness folks would not recommend this for many reasons but that’s what I did anyway. In the end I chose a G 26/27 model. It comfortably holds a 2” j frame, a 3” j frame, and XDs 3.3 and obviously it was designed to hold a baby Glock as well. All of these are held very securely in the G 26/27. In addition they’re designed to carry a spare mag or speed strip but I’m not sure I’d carry a 5 Star speedloader. While it fits, it’s pretty tight in there. I can see putting pressure on the side of the Safepacker and distorting the shape of the aluminum 5 Star.

I spent a number of hours carrying a SS 2” j frame while walking the streets of Phoenix. Comfort wise, the Safepacker was excellent. Based on the design with front seam Velcro closure, presenting your sidearm quickly is much better than I would have imagined. And the thing hides in plain sight. In this day of smart phones and tablets, it just looks like another thing somebody is carrying on the belt. I never got a second glance. All in all, I’d give this a 5 rating out of 5.

Price point; If you buy your holsters in a bag for $25, the Safepacker may not be for you. You’ll spend $100-110 for one of these. I’m convinced that it’s well worth it. I also picked up a Runners Belt that holds 2 water bottles and incorporates the Safepacker. I haven’t played around with it much so that review will come later. These can also be carried on a pack belt, a seat belt, with a shoulder strap, in the hand, etc. Versatility is the word on these.

They make them for lefties too.

Final comment; The folks at The Wilderness are as warm and helpful as you’d ever hope to meet. My hat is off to an American company making quality products. Their gear began as needed solutions for mountain rescue crews and the thoughtfulness and quality reflect the origins.

Concealed Holster, Concealment Holsters, Pistol Holster

Here’s some pics and I’m sorry about the fuzzy shots. My camera is wonky.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Sew-on a Verizon or AT&T patch and folks will be asking what version of "the latest & greatest" techno-device it is. :yup:

"Do you like it so far?", "Did you get it free with your plan?" :image035:

·
Premium Member
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The wonderfully nice lady at the Wilderness store said that black seems to be the color that gets the least inquiry from a passerby. But yeah.....it looks techie geeky. It looks kind of REI-ish. It looks like a whole lot of things but it doesn't look like a holster. And the draw is incredibly quick, much more than you might think.

·
Premium Member
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I own two of them. I use on my hunting pack and one for my bail-out bag/pack. Very well built
Yep, I can see more of them following me home. Even same color, same size. One of them can't be in all places at all times.

·
Registered
10,619 Posts
Yep, I can see more of them following me home. Even same color, same size. One of them can't be in all places at all times.
Actually, I wish I owned three, because I have multiple hunting packs and they get switched out depending on what I am hunting. I prefer to have my packs all set up to go so I don't have togo through everything when I switch them out, or think about what's not there. But, it seems a bit wasteful to have more than two, when one might sit for several months at a time.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I like the Safepacker very much. I think I bought mine in 2004, and while I do not have any definitive evidence I feel like a paid a lot less than what they charge now. I understand prices change over a dozen years but I was pretty surprised when I saw that the item is now $110. Of course the fact that my 12+ year old Safepacker is still functioning like it did when it was new says a lot (and I use it a lot, it's no shoebox holster).

Edit: I just checked and I see the model I have is $99, while the fancy colors or camo are $110.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Another Safepacker owner!

Svgheartland, glad to hear you like the Wilderness Safepacker. I have 3 of them in different sizes, but haven't had the guts yet to try to wear them in public everyday. I also visited their store in Phoenix last year and had a blast. The lady was very nice and they made a belt for me right there while I waited (since they diden't have one in my size already made). I would like to hear more stories about others using Safepackers in public.

·
Registered
10,619 Posts
Svgheartland, glad to hear you like the Wilderness Safepacker. I have 3 of them in different sizes, but haven't had the guts yet to try to wear them in public everyday. I also visited their store in Phoenix last year and had a blast. The lady was very nice and they made a belt for me right there while I waited (since they diden't have one in my size already made). I would like to hear more stories about others using Safepackers in public.
I don't think it will carry very well on a belt, pretty big and bulky. But it you wear it with a shoulder strap, cross body, it would probably be okay. Most people who use them don't use them for everyday carry, but rather for hiking, hunting, search and rescue, etc.

·
Premium Member
2,534 Posts
Great for long car trips. Attach it to your seatbelt (chest strap) for easy access while in vehicle; it acts like a cross draw holster at that point. Then simply remove it when you exit the vehicle and take it with you. No need to handle your weapon or swap it to a holster. Add'l safety precautions required, but very doable.

·
Registered
11,478 Posts
I have one that fits both my Sig P290RS and my snubby revolvers. I really like it. It's like "concealing in plain sight." I like the suggestion of the Verizon or ATT patch as "camouflage." I thought of another one, though. I found small medical cross patches on EBay. If you sewed one of those on, I doubt anyone would ask, but if they did, you could just say, "It's a life-saving device I need, but I prefer not to talk about it." and not even be lying!

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
That along with the belt you mentioned sounds like it might be a good setup for the mountain bike.

Reactions: svgheartland

·
Premium Member
2,534 Posts
That along with the belt you mentioned sounds like it might be a good setup for the mountain bike.
Great for biking!

Reactions: svgheartland

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
I saw a young man with a small bag carried across his chest and to one side. He had headphones coming out. The small headphones from his phone. I thought that may take attention from questioning what may be in a safe packer if you had the ear buds hanging out. Fix part of the wire inside and just have the ear buds showing.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
:above3: Agreed! Visual deception is often more effective than under-clothes concealment. If you don't believe me? Read a newly published book titled "Ghost Army" (well-written, BTW).

Reactions: G26Raven

·
Registered
10,619 Posts
:above3: Agreed! Visual deception is often more effective than under-clothes concealment. If you don't believe me? Read a newly published book titled "Ghost Army" (well-written, BTW).
And, "she was practiced in the art of deception...." Besides, if you try sometimes, you might just get what you need!

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I have been using Safepackers for years. Nobody seems to be alarmed by them. One obviously "green" guy loved the tree logo. Now that The Wilderness makes them for tablets, I am being totally honest when I say the Safepacker is made in different sizes, to accomodate tablets, and various other tools.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Sew-on a Verizon or AT&T patch and folks will be asking what version of "the latest & greatest" techno-device it is. :yup:

"Do you like it so far?", "Did you get it free with your plan?" :image035:
No need to sew a logo onto a Safepacker. The Wilderness company logo, already nicely in place, is a TREE. Have you hugged your tree today? :smile:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts