Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I've seen a lot of great holster pr0n here lately:yup:, and I've been wondering...

How about some examples of the opposite?:image035:

Not to simply "revel in the rot" as some would say, but as instructional assistance for some of us "noobs". Please include brand names to avoid as well.

Plus, I think the stories would be fun too!

So, here's a spot for your anecdotes, cautionary tales of "made by sheeple" woe, and pictures of:
THE WORST HOLSTERS EVAH!!!:gah::hand1::rant:

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
In my experience, one-point IWB holsters do not work well with heavy guns.

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
I have two IWB holsters that have a single clip attachment,and they shift too much IMHO,I like the gun grip to stay in one place at the same angle,one is a Galco mod.100 IIRC the other is a kydex brand

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
I have a large box of holsters that I don't like and won't use, collected through the years. The box sits in my garage. The holsters that I love and use are in my office in a drawer. It would be hard to identify the worst one in my box in the garage but the FOBUS Roto Holster would have to be close to top of the list. Some day I'll have a garage sale and get rid of that box of turkeys.

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
the FOBUS Roto Holster would have to be close to top of the list.
+1 :hand1:

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I won't badmouth a certain brand, but in my opinion, the nylon or cordura holsters definitely aren't good for long term. I've used them in the past, and they're ok for a few months, but they wear out fast.

If only I had some pictures of my early monstrosities. I think there might be one buried on this server somewhere. Maybe one of the mods can dig it out?

Nate

·
Registered
12 Posts
The worst I have are two Pro Carry Belt Ride holsters. One for a PT145 and one for a J-Frame. The suck! I replaced them this weekend with two quality holsters for around the same price.

·
Registered
862 Posts
anything that's just a nylon holster with any sort of plastic/polymer clip just doesn't cut it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi all.
I'm fairly new to posting here,but have been lirking for months.
I am from SW Pa,and got my CCL last spring,for carrying, I have a Kimber Ultra Eclipse II,Very heavy for its size,Looked around @ different holsters,Didn't like the fobus or any of the nylon ones,so I looked on E-Bay,And ended up buying a leather IWB holster from this guy Gun Leather, Concealment and Cowboy holsters, Azle, TX.
Very nice holster for the money,have carried all day with it,the only prob. with it is extended driving.
Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts
The worst one I've had is one of those "I want to be all things to all people" nylon types bought at a gun show. It has a loop on both sides for IWB or OWB carry, velcroed retention snaps, and a magazine carrier on the top. It's a big, clumsy BAG. I only bought it to have something to carry a new (used) gun in until I could get a decent one.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Asking about worst holsters and he chimes in with links for an ebay vendor? Hmmmm...

On topic, AKJ Concealco IWB's "innovative" front loop doesn't stay in place, and the snap scraped the length of the top of my slide on the draw.
I have been using an AKJ for several months now and find it to be the most comfortable holster I have because of the front loop. Have not had any scratching problems so far.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
I won't badmouth a certain brand, but in my opinion, the nylon or cordura holsters definitely aren't good for long term. I've used them in the past, and they're ok for a few months, but they wear out fast.

If only I had some pictures of my early monstrosities. I think there might be one buried on this server somewhere. Maybe one of the mods can dig it out?

Nate
+1 on that

·
Premium Member
2,939 Posts
I tried an adjustable-cant paddle holster once. It stuck out an inch or more in addition to what a regular paddle holster would. Perhaps if I had been wearing a tent I might have been able to conceal it... if it was a very big tent.

I sent it back and ordered a fixed paddle holster.

Never again on the adjustable one.

·
Registered
218 Posts
without a doubt, the XD gear that comes with an XD is utterly worthless as a holster, in fact, with the adjustment screw backed out as far as it will go without falling out - my 45c will not fit. Junk.

·
Registered
192 Posts
That's been my experience, too. Beware of IWB clip-on holsters which collapse once the gun is out. IME, they will sometimes leave the waistband still attached to the gun.

·
Registered
10,958 Posts
Kramer holster t-shirt. Got made by a friendly hug. Draw requires two hands to "Superman-style" rip your shirt buttons open...:gah:

·
Registered
506 Posts
If I had a dime for every paddle holster I've seen flying downrange as the students draw ... :D

(And yes, I know some folks love 'em & swear by 'em. Just trying to get into the spirit of the thread here!)

pax

1 - 20 of 63 Posts