Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I have been contemplating my first AR-15 purchase for over a year. Seems every time I have the money in pocket something around the house breaks or one of the cars.
Well yesterday I decided I had waited long enough, and made it happen. I am worried that soon the gun grabbers will get their way and they will be banned.
So Obama wins, his and Hillary's constant talk of banning guns got me to make the purchase!

So I went with the Smith and Wessin m&p sport 2. It has everything I "need" in my first basic AR
It's just a basic riffle, and I don't remember how to post pics, sorry picture people.

So....where is the best deal on pmags?
And what is the deal with steel cases ammo? Good/bad?
I don't currently or have future plans on reloading

Thanks
Yjmoose

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
For the best deal on pmags, check slickguns. Steel case ammo is perfectly fine for target practice. It wears the barrel slightly faster, but if you can afford to burn that much ammo to wear down the barrel, you can surely afford a fancier new rifle and brass cased ammo at that point. I don't buy steel ammo because I plan on taking a class, and they don't allow it.

·
Premium Member
5,693 Posts
James Yeager says that finding an AR15 that handles steel cased ammo well is like buying a winning lotto ticket. In other words they are rare.

He also says that you dont know if your weapon will handle steel cased well till you get it good & hot, then let it cool with one in the chamber. I agree with him on all points based on my experience with steel cased & AR15s.

Also, I have a M&P NON sport, (ie the higher end model) AR15. I always thought it blew at handling steel cased. Just a train wreck every time I tried it. Stuck cases, jams, you name it.

Anyway, I went for a test of various steel cased ammo one day, and took a Pmag loaded with brass cased ammo, and decided to try all brand new brownells brand AL body mags loaded with steel cased commie bloc ammo.

To my great surprise, the steel cased did great with the brownells mags. I put in the Pmag with brass cased ammo & it fired great.

Then I loaded the Pmag with steel cased ammo (the same stuff I had been firing in the other mags), and it was an immediate train wreck. Jams, stuck cases, you name it.

The brownells mags continued to handle the steel cased well.

Take it for what its worth. Id buy a small amount of steel cased ammo for a test batch before I went all in on it.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
The problem is not the steel, its the lacquer used on the steel case to protect it against rust. When the firing chamber gets hot, it can potential melt some of the lacquer and if that round stays in the chamber as things cool off, the round can get stuck.

·
Registered
304 Posts
image.jpg I just picked mine up about a month ago and took it to the range for the first time last week. Had no issues at all, I was using Federal, probably shot about 100 rounds. Also, had some Tannarite and had some serious fun. I'll try to post a pic.

·
Administrator
143,591 Posts
Based on what I have read the newer Steel cased ammo is not lacquered as a rust preventative any longer.
There is some improved coating that does not get sticky in a hot chamber.

Do your own homework and research that for yourselves.

I don't use Steel cased ammo so I don't need to do any homework on that. :biggrin2:

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Awesome, I pick mine up last week and love it.

Reactions: Chicagobill

·
Registered
21 Posts
Not sure how many Pmags you're looking for, but the cheapest gen 3 (30 round mags) I've found are $10.99 at Defender outdoors. I've ordered a ton of them through Defender Outdoors with no issues.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Never had an AR on my want list, but given the probable election outcome, I have joined the AR-15 owners, as I picked up a Ruger AR-556 last month. My daughter who also owns handguns and carries also bought an AR.

I figure if you don't own an AR-15 by the summer of 2017, you never will.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Good choice on the S&W Sport! I have one of the earlier 1/8 twist Gen 1 M&P Sports that has about 1800 trouble free rounds though it. Almost half of those rounds have been Wolf steel cased ammo. My older made in Maine Bushmaster Patrolman has had about 400 rounds of steel cased Wolf through it and a LOT of cheap S. African brass ammo through it with no problems. FWIW, the steel cased doesn't seem to be as accurate in the Bushmaster although it doesn't make much difference in the M&P Sport gen 1.:king:

·
Registered
102 Posts
I too just purchased an AR, never thought I would, but with the election coming up… well, you know. I about forgot how fun it is to shoot an AR. Glad I did.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
I've been tempted to buy one, but every time I start looking something expensive breaks and I have to run my credit card up to fix it. In the last two years I've had to do $15000 in engine repairs to my truck. Both water heaters exploded in the house - apparently the county put backflow preventers on the system and my home didn't have expansion valves. My microwave went out. My dryer went out. My stove top shattered. Two weeks ago I decided to go camping and tried to extend the slideouts on my RV and it pumped all the hydraulic fluid out on the ground - I had a broken hydraulic hose. Took it to the shop and paid $900 to get that fixed and while it was in the shop rodents ate the wiring. They're estimating another 500 to get it fixed and we're still debating whether I should pay or they should.

Those are just some of the highlights. Bottom line is that I'm so broke I can't even afford to pay attention.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Not sure how many Pmags you're looking for, but the cheapest gen 3 (30 round mags) I've found are $10.99 at Defender outdoors. I've ordered a ton of them through Defender Outdoors with no issues.
That's a great price. Just looked and they are out of stock. For that price I'd pick up another 5 or so.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts