Defensive Carry banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Gotta put peanuts in that RC Cola for it to be official.

Born and raised in NC/SC, we had gun CLUBS in our high school and were encouraged to shoot straight. I was a member of the FFOA and in the Carolinas that didn’t always mean we were into Tobacky, back then (70’s) we took what the teacher grew and headed to the Blueridge mountains for a Skewl Daze trip...pretty cool teacher! 😎

BTW, it being tobacky country we did have a smoking “section” right at the front door and were encouraged to smoke - teachers had their own smoking lounge. Not promoting it I hate cigarettes now but this was way back then and it was normal in the Carolinas.

Yes things ARE different in the South, lets hope it stays that way!
Grew up and still live in the South.Never cared for Moon Pies with my RC Cola ,but love some Lance Peanuts in the RC or a Coca Cola.The salty taste and the sweet Cola taste together is still good.And yes I love sausage gravy and biscuits .

·
Premium Member
6,178 Posts
Gotta put peanuts in that RC Cola for it to be official.
Grew up and still live in the South.Never cared for Moon Pies with my RC Cola ,but love some Lance Peanuts in the RC or a Coca Cola.The salty taste and the sweet Cola taste together is still good.And yes I love sausage gravy and biscuits .
@Sister beat me to it, and @BSides01 followed up. If you want to talk authentic Southern, you've got to dump a pack of peanuts into that RC! Dr. Pepper works, too! :yup:

Reactions: CWOUSCG and Sister

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
Oh, someone else with good memories! My maternal grandparents had an 80 acre farm in the bottom part of AL when I was growing up. A Saturday evening treat was to go to the local mom & pop store where my granddad would buy us an RC and a Moon Pie, if we had been good that week. Wish my kids could have experienced those times.
Another tidbit in LA (Lower Alabama) most of the various Mardi Gras parades throw moon pies along with beads with the symbol of the Krewe throwing them. (Some local cities have ordinances against throwing candy during Mardi Gras.) Also on New Years eve in Mobile they have the Moon Pie drop with a giant 900 lb Moon pie!

·
Registered
108 Posts
A few years ago my wife and I were in Brateslava. I ordered a Coke at a restaurant and they brought me an RC! It even said, "Royal Crown Bottling Company, Columbus GA" on the label.

I tried to explain to the waiter how funny that was, that I was from Georgia, and that RC was a symbol of the South... But he didn't get it. Should have asked for a moon pie to go with it.

Of course, Coke, too, is from Georgia..

And he probably thought I was from the country of Georgia!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
910 Posts
You were in Bratislava, Slovakia, and you had cola instead of their beer?

I can excuse myself, because my most important pain medication is destroyed by even a little bit of alcohol.
But the Czech Republic and Slovakia are both famous for their absolutely delicious beer. So even I might still be tempted.

Back when I was too young to appreciate good beer, we rolled into Plzen, in what was then Czechoslovakia, after all of the restaurants had closed. But there was an open pub that served snacks, so we went there.
I asked for soda or apple juice, but I was told that all they had was beer.
"Could I have a small beer, please?"
"All we serve is full liters."
"OK, give me a liter."
Well, it was so good that I drank the whole thing, and then drank another!
My wife drove us back to the campground.

·
Registered
108 Posts
You were in Bratislava, Slovakia, and you had cola instead of their beer?

I can excuse myself, because my most important pain medication is destroyed by even a little bit of alcohol.
But the Czech Republic and Slovakia are both famous for their absolutely delicious beer. So even I might still be tempted.

Back when I was too young to appreciate good beer, we rolled into Plzen, in what was then Czechoslovakia, after all of the restaurants had closed. But there was an open pub that served snacks, so we went there.
I asked for soda or apple juice, but I was told that all they had was beer.
"Could I have a small beer, please?"
"All we serve is full liters."
"OK, give me a liter."
Well, it was so good that I drank the whole thing, and then drank another!
My wife drove us back to the campground.
Yea, I know. I have never been a big beer drinker. And for reasons of safety I try to not drink alcohol when traveling in a strange land, unless I am near my hotel.

We had just gotten off the train from Vienna and were only in Brateslava for the day.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
288 Posts
Trust me, we are being invaded also. The HS my kids went to used to raffle off a shotgun every year for the football team. The invaders put a stop to it a few years ago. Minor league baseball team tried to have a contest and top prize was a gift certificate for an AR at a LGS. You would have thought they were advocating using it in a school shooting there was so much whining. They cancelled it but ended up getting a record crowd that night in support. So it's still pretty gun friendly but imports are trying to change things.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts