Defensive Carry banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just finished the book, The Guns of John Moses Browning. It is an outstanding biography of Browning the inventor and provides a very readable history of firearms development from the mid-1800s through the 1940s. Highly recommended.

Things I did not know about John Moses Browning.

-His father was a contemporary and friend of Joseph Smith. His father had three wives and fathered 22 children.
-John Moses Browning served a two year missionary assignment in Georgia.
-His father was a friend of Abraham Lincoln and hosted Lincoln in his Illinois home on occasion.
-Winchester purchased all of Browning’s inventions from about 1885 until 1902. Many of the inventions were transformed into Winchester’s best-selling rifles and shotguns but many more were purchased simply to prevent Winchester competitors from using them.
-Browning produced the first practical auto-loading shotgun.
-Browning designed and built the first practical large caliber semi-automatic pistol.
-Browning invented the .22 caliber pump action rifle, ultimately selling millions of copies for use in plinking, pest control, and arcade use
-Browning traveled from his home in Ogden, Utah, to Europe 64 times with many of the trips related to his association with Fabrique National.
-A Browning Model 1910 was used to assassinate Archduke Ferdinand, touching off WWI.
-Browning introduced or improved more than 6 popular cartridges in various calibers
-Browning owned more than 120 firearms related patents in the United States alone.
-Browning invented and patented the Winchester lever action models 1885, 1892, 1894, and 1895 which earned Winchester millions of dollars. None of the rifles carried a Browning patent number or the Browning name.

I could extend the list to more than one page but that might require a spoiler alert.

Gorenstein, Nathan. The Guns of John Moses Browning: New York: Scribner, An Imprint of Simon and Shuster: 2021

The Guns of John Moses Browning - Amazon

·
Registered
12,290 Posts
He was truly a genius. I read a similar book on his life and visited the Browning Museum in Ogden, shortly after we moved to Utah. Definitely a remarkable man.

·
Registered
12,290 Posts
He was a distant cousin of mine. There are Brownings in my family tree several generations back.
So should we be addressing you as John Moses Charlie?

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
He was truly a genius. I read a similar book on his life and visited the Browning Museum in Ogden, shortly after we moved to Utah. Definitely a remarkable man.
After reading this book I placed visiting the Browning Museum in Ogden on my "to do" list. In April we went to Moab/Arches/Canyonland. Next month we are going to Zion/Bryce. In both instances we passed through the Salt Lake City airport but only to change planes. We will have to plan a third trip through Utah with more time allotted to the Northern portion of the state.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Very good of you to post this Swedishsteel.

I'm reading it now and ought to be through, but have been derailed by other stuff.
That dreaded, "other stuff" can really gum up the works.

Until I read this book I had no appreciation for the depth of Browning's European connections. He traveled to Europe over 60 times during his life time. Each trip required at least two weeks of travel time between his home in Ogden, Utah, and the Continent. In many instances he remained in Europe, and especially Belgium, where Fabrique Nationale was located, for up to six month at a time. In his travels, he taught himself to speak French through reading books and using a French dictionary.

·
Super Moderator
22,604 Posts
Very good of you to post this Swedishsteel.

I'm reading it now and ought to be through, but have been derailed by other stuff.

Getting into it deeper now myself, Bryan, thank you again for the book. I find it much better than the book his grandson wrote, Gorenstein's version contains warts and all. My only critique is the same as with many other books, saying the Winchester Model 73 fired handgun cartridges. That's not much to find wrong with the book. ;)

(great picture btw(y))

1 - 16 of 16 Posts