Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
UPDATE! Think I'm getting a Sig 226

Well...........while at the Store today.........I was fondling some Sigs...........
A couple of 226s stood out from the crowd... Henderson Va guns........W German manufacture.. both in about 90% finish..both with 2 extra 15 rnd hi cap mags........one with dead night sights.. the other with single dot sights (standard Sig type) for the price of 450.00 (mind you now.. I get an extra discount for working there) The guns may ens up as a final price of around 375.00 each.
Now......the deal is............Trade my Glock 19 with night sighs..........2 hi caps.. 2nd Gen gun...for about 350.00 toward the Sig 226 pkg...
Soooooooooooo whatda think?
Good bad or indifferent...........ALL input is good for all of us.. as it places two great handguns side by side for evaluation by all of us..and our own feelings about the two differnt manufacturers products..and food for thought for people contemplating a future purchase as well :yup:

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bud White said:
Luckly Dog . Sounds like a good deal to me
not lucky...........just thinkin about what the better gun is.. hopefully.........it will generate some good discussion about the attributes of each gun...........and YOU should try working at the store LOl.............VERY difficult to say the least............with about 1000 handguns gleefully singing "take me" LOL:yup:

·
Registered
155 Posts
CLASS3NH said:
Well...........while at the Store today.........I was foldeling some Sigs...........
A couple of 226s stood out from the crowd... Henderson Va guns........W German manufacture.. both in about 90% finish..both with 2 extra 15 rnd hi cap mags........one with dead night sights.. the other with single dot sights (standard Sig type) for the price of 450.00 (mind you now.. I get an extra discount for working there) The guns may ens up as a final price of around 375.00 each.
Now......the deal is............Trade my Glock 19 with night sighs..........2 hi caps.. 2nd Gen gun...for about 350.00 toward the Sig 226 pkg...
Soooooooooooo whatda think?
Good bad or indifferent...........ALL input is good for all of us.. as it places two great handguns side by side for evaluation by all of us..and our own feelings about the two differnt manufaturers products..and food for thought for people contemplating a future purchase as well :yup:
GET IT and run before someone else walk away with it. I had a SIG 226 in 40S&W(w/ 357Sig barrel) but I sold it to a military buddy. Didn't really need it because I picked up a P229 combo(40 & 357), running out of room in the safe. Also have a P226Navy model in 9mm(still haven't shot it, yet)!
Night sights are a quick fix! You can always pick up another Glock and all the accessories cheaper than the Sig.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1man........THANKS for your good input VERY VALID points indeed! ....Sigs don't move that fast around my area...........the 229s move quicker........Maybe we can get some input from all you Sig Gurus out there
Ok......Sig Armorers.........Question...............
Why would a Sig 226 be loose in the rails? Do they losten up from wear? how much is bad? can they be tightend up? and what's the procedure?

·
Super Moderator
25,537 Posts
Grab it and run!

I've got a 226 in 9mm and would put it up against anything out there. It seems that most folks who play with them end up loving them.

1Man, take that Navy out and shoot it!!!

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Bob - ''git-r-done'' :18:

Well you know my response - doncha!?? I assume if 15 round mags we are talkin the 9mm - but yeah - I would rate that over the G19 tho that is in itself, as others said, emminently replaceable.

Go on - do it :smile:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just saw the ''looose in rails'' mention Bob - well - ya gotta go see the Doc about that :icon16:. Seriously - I could only think major looseness due to HUGE thruput of ammo and am not SIG armorer - I suspect tho a very slight (very few thou') cross tensioning of slide would probably add a huge extra mileage. Only guessing!

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yup.........one is loose........the other is tight..........wondering if it's common with that model..........or just a freak thing..........
But.....what are the attributes of each? Pros.............Cons............
any test results? torture test results.........reports on both/ neither? I'm attempting to make a decision, based on all imput.........and also help others who may be pondering the purchase of either one... LOL...........I guess I'm making it tough here

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
''Attributes of each''?? You mean comparing the two? or something else?

I would favor the tighter gun I guess - assuming it was less beat up. I have not yet seen a real loose 226 but that means zilch - as I have not been into SIG's long enough.

Not so easy to say from here Bob - I wish I could see and handle both!

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Chris...........what I meant was...........good points of each weapon.............how people carry them, and how do they feel on your person..............IWB holsters? Hi ride? finish wear? these things we all take into consideration when we make a purchase..I'm also leaning toward the CT grips as well......(we have a couple used sets)
range reports form Ya'll......

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Each weapon - well - still being a bit thick here - you mean 226 vs the G19? Sorry if I am being dim!

I as you know I think, I carry large and heavy - the 226ST is even heavier than the std one - it does not bother me at all. I do not IWB so cannot comment - but maybe you saw a pic of my 226 in a defender OWB - it sits real snug.

I will choose relatively hi-ride usually - and of course wear on the ST ain't an issue really. Mind you - sweat does affect the levers and sight blocks if I am not careful.

CT's to add - well, say no more - great combination IMo - again you have probably seen the pic of my ST with those.

Not sure I'm being very helpful --

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yup........exactly Chris...........the Glock 19 Vs the Sig 226............both with either the Rails or no rails........(Meaning newer or older models)

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
G19 is lighter
P226 has more capacity
G19 shoots well for me
P226 shoots better than I can
G19 conceals fine and I can carry it in my pants pocket
P226 only carried in an OWB rig
G19 should tolerate a lack of cleaning better than the Sig. To be fair I have not had a problem with any of my P22X series and cleaning. Now the GSR 1911 clone failed to feed 20% of the rounds when it was very dirty.

No gun related failures on either for me. Did have a G19 mag split over time though.

I like them both but would carry them in different situations based on each one's concealability or lack there of.

If I could have only one I would have the G19. For me I can carry it almost all the time. For the size and weight of a 9mm it wins over the Sig. For flat out like it in my hand and a pleasure to shoot a lot, the Sig wins.

Without seeing it and handliing it I would be hard pressed to offer anything on loose rails. All of my Sig P22X series pistols (6 total) are tight.

So for a target shooter I would go P226, for a CCW gun I would go G19.

My .02

-Scott-

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
GREAT input Scott..........I'm attempting to utilize them for both carry and target/offhand.IDPA shooting.......VERY tough decision here
PLUS I'm a cheapskate type........want the best.....but want it my way.........<is this Burger King>
I have the P228 so I know that the Sigs work.. I also have a couple Glocks as well...........I just can't decide........kinda thinking of the re-sale value on each should I decide to trade up to something else..Trade bait if you look at it

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
OK Bob well - I have shot 17's and 19's and despite being a non-Glocker quite liked them. Again I come back to ''large and heavy'' preference, so - the weight saving of a 19 means little to me. Unlike Scott, I would and do choose the 226 for carry.

My ST has rails but not used so - that is not featuring in any decision process. I'd not count them as aessential on either gun.

Best I can do dude - not all that helpful really.

Concealment as such is not an issue i think - manage one - you'll manage the other, in a sizxe sense - tho again weight could be an issue.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Chris......so weight and size is a factor? If so...........would the 220 be a better choice, seeing the larger caliber of a 45 in the 226 type frame? I'm not playing dimwhitted here........just tossing the factors for each weapon platform into the mix. I'm also hoping to generate some good discussion on how, and why we lean toward each platform, and why we carry each platform.........price? grip angle? functionality of each? reliability or each... just trying to generate those brain cells LOL

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Well - factor for me because I like large and heavy! LOL. So weight and size from my POV is purely what I like.

Without going to get my scales Bob - holding 226ST one hand and 220 in other (both full of bangers!) - the ST is distinctly heavier. I doubt for me the 220 is what I'd call a heavy gun - just me tho. I don't find ol' Slabsides heavy either!

Grip angle is only a factor for me if I go Glock direction - like many it does not suit me so well. Price I ignored - ST was spendy but hey - I wanted it - that was it!

Function aspects well - again I have a slight dislike of Glock trigger so - for me the 226 (and same really for 220 or 228) - suit me well. I am a DA/SA guy - I find the DA SIG pull is very acceptable indeed and also the controls suit me too.

Bottom line - I am right at home with the SIG platform - it will IMO be what works best if needed and even judging by use in IDPA - just feels ''like it grew there''! :smile:

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
GREAT info Chris...........I sound like a Newbie here, but you know I'm not LOL............I have the 228............I like the Poly frame, hate the grip angle..............love the controls on the Sig...( like the exposed hammer for safety reasons) Finish wear.....the Glock is tougher...........Conceilability........the Glock has it over the Sig 226. Both are "duty type"pistols........tough decision still.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts