Defensive Carry banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about adding another 22LR to the safe. I was wanting information on the AR type 22LR's that are out there. I have more than my share of 22 ammo and thought it might be fun to have and great if the SHTF because of the ammo I have available. Do they shoot bulk ammo okay or do you have to shoot CCI to keep them from jamming? Just wondering what the thoughts about them are from people who have already owned them. Thanks for any info!!

Reactions: 5lima30ret

·
Registered
6,374 Posts
They are great fun! Unlike the 5.56 versions where there are many good ones out there, in dedicated .22 lr platforms the S&W M&P-15-22 is the industry standard and is head and shoulders above the rest including Colt which is made by Umarex (not good)! I have somewhere around 3500 mostly trouble free rounds (not counting dud rounds) through mine. Get one you won't regret it!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Def recommend the M&P 15-22. A perfect AR platform with all the same controls. Just missing the unnecessary forward assist and dust cover. Super reliable, accurate as hell, and a real blast to shoot! Nutnfancy raved about it on YouTube in a 45 minute review. Lateboyscout also recommend it in a shorter 9 min vid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,894 Posts
Only worry guys is it seem the recent batch of the m&p might have bolt problem ..Apple seed just ban them due to Out of battery and run away firing ..Bad lugs maybe ..Small example sure but something to note

That said for me the s&w if proven ok would be a great choice or a sig 522 commando ..I like the 522 sigs , cheep mags , they look nice and shoot great but you are more limited on the add on why I say the m&p first

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Yep, the 15-22 is the way to go. I have an inexpensive red dot mounted on it, which I switch off with a scope. Lots of fun.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
I've also got a M&P 15-22

Great trainer and a big hit when folks come out to shoot. I've never had an issue with mine and it use it to "dispose" of the .22LR ammo I have issues with in other guns.....

Chuck

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
While the .22 AR-clones (and MP5 clones, and UZI clones, et al) are tacti-cute, it's (generally) tough to find one that'll shoot as well (re: accurately) as more mainstream, conventional .22 autoloading rifles. IMHO, manufacturers spend more of their development money on "lookin" and less on "shooting". Some of the triggers are terrible! It's all depending (just like always) on YOUR priorities. Me? I prefer accuracy. :image035:

Reactions: gasmitty

·
Registered
982 Posts
Get a plain old Ruger 10-22,, You can turn it into a damn machine gun if you want to with aftermarket parts [depending on state], and they are ultra reliable, super accurate and cheap.. I love mine!
The Ruger 10-22 is the standard by which all other .22 LR semis are judged.. bob

·
Super Moderator
24,665 Posts
Get a plain old Ruger 10-22,, You can turn it into a damn machine gun if you want to with aftermarket parts [depending on state], and they are ultra reliable, super accurate and cheap.. I love mine!
The Ruger 10-22 is the standard by which all other .22 LR semis are judged.. bob
@beebee, would not the Federal Prohibition against a Fully Automatic weapon apply to this, and it is not a state by state question?

I prefer the Ruger 10/22 also, but this thread is about AR style rimfire anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Tens of thousands of rounds through my 15-22 with excellent reliability shooting CCI, Federal, Gemtech ammo.
The RGB's (Remington Golden Bobbleheads) generally suck in semi-auto guns.

Two big thumbs-up for the S&W

·
Registered
982 Posts
@beebee, would not the Federal Prohibition against a Fully Automatic weapon apply to this, and it is not a state by state question?

I prefer the Ruger 10/22 also, but this thread is about AR style rimfire anyway.
You are correct.. I have seen fully automatic 10/22's and they are in reality a .22 LR machine gun. That was several years ago however, and I suppose by now any parts that were available to convert the gun to fully automatic are now illegal.. It WAS possible with aftermarket parts at one time however.. Tuning it into an AR style is still possible in many states, but it might just be better to BUY an AR style if they are legal in the state of the OP... bob

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
My buddy bought the M&P 15-22, great little gun and fun to shoot. It field strips just like any other AR. If I was to get one it is the one I would get.

·
Super Moderator
19,884 Posts
I was thinking about adding another 22LR to the safe. I was wanting information on the AR type 22LR's that are out there. I have more than my share of 22 ammo and thought it might be fun to have and great if the SHTF because of the ammo I have available. Do they shoot bulk ammo okay or do you have to shoot CCI to keep them from jamming? Just wondering what the thoughts about them are from people who have already owned them. Thanks for any info!!
I have a handful of 10/22s, and when I shoot the semi-monthly "Tac 22" matches at my club I'm one of the lone non-AR type holdouts. But the guys I shoot with regularly both use AR-type rimfires for these matches. Typically 3 of the 4 stages are speed stages with 20-30 shots required, and the 4th is more of a precision stage with 30+ targets out to 100 yards. Scoring is by time (and missed targets) alone, so reliability is key to a decent score.

My observations from a few years of these matches: for AR-style guns, the hands-down reliability winner is the S&W winner. I've seen the SCAR-pattern gun, the Colt Umarex gun, and a number of CMMG conversions as well as dedicated .22 uppers on standard AR lowers. Some are more accurate, some are good with cans (suppressors), but for overall reliability, the S&W is at the top of the AR-style heap.

Ammo-wise, I'd stick with name-brand high-velocity stuff, minus the Remington Gold junk. That stuff is all over the map with velocity and quality control, no matter what the gun. Once you get the gun you want, find a round that feeds and ejects reliably and which provides consistent results. When one of my shooting buddies was using the Rem Gold with erratic results, he tried re-zeroing his gun/optic at 50 yards and found some shots were 4" low! The Federal Auto Match is hardly "match" grade ammo, but it's decent and functions well in semiautomatics. I've had spectacular accuracy with CCI AR Tactical ammo in my 10/22s, but it's availability is spotty and it's usually not cheap.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts