Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about getting a S&W 642 as a BUG and something I can drop into the pocket while taking the dog out at night. I've currently got an XD9sc as my EDC.

I was curious about the Crimson Trace grips for the 642. For those of you who have the 642 (or 442) and also have the CT grips... which grips do you have on yours... the lg-305 or the lg-405? I'm leaning a little more towards the lg-405 because it more closely resembles the size of the original grip on the 642/442 models. Just wondering what your thoughts were and why you went with one or the other.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
No laser on my 442, but definitely get the snubby - a great BUG.

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
use a pocket holster, and get the gun.... you won't regret it. Put a speedloader or 2 on your other side or your other pocket.

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
I think the LG-105 is the closest to the stock grips...I'm getting the LG-105's for my 642... My wife carries it more than I do and she likes the standard grips because she has really small hands...

The 642 is the 'gold standard' in pocket snubbies...get it...you won't be disappointed... :yup:

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am also thinking about getting a 642...or a 442...or an LCR;just starting to do the comparisons and go over reviews for each one.It will be my EDC.I'm really starting to like the idea of a wheel gun,but there's just not a range in my area where I can try these out.

·
Super Moderator
50,610 Posts
I have the 637, just a 642 with the hammer, and I put a laser on it for my wife...she doesn't really use it. If I had a do over, I wouldn't get the laser...just some nice wooden grips.OMO

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Don't just think, get the 642, as others have stated its the standard all other small pocket revolvers are judged. The Ruger LCR is not proven yet.

The cheaper CT grips are harder and a little less comfortable when shooting, but lets face it these handguns are not fun plinkers, you get proficient with them, stay proficient and carry them often but most people really don't shoot them all that much so grip comfort is not a huge issue at least with me and these feel about like the OEM grips.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Decided against laser grips

I have experimented with the laser grips on a 642 but decided against them. If I ever use the pistol it will be at very close range, and I feel that point shooting will be quicker and more effective. So I just have wood boot grips on my 642.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I carry my 642 regularly. I'll usually pack 2 speedloaders and maybe one speed strip depending on the holster set up. I carry shoulder rig, IWB and sometimes an ankle rig. That little gun provides more peace of mind than any other I own. It's small, quick, undetectable and more than powerful enough to do the job. You'll be glad you got one.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
The more expensive overmolded rubber ones make concealment harder. They're bigger and they stick to clothing. Of course, they also make shooting it more comfortable, so YMMV.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have both laser grips

The first laser grip I bought was the 405 as it is close to the original. Have a hard time as it is thinner than the original grips. Will leave it on my 637 for the wife. Bought the 305 longer model and it is perfect fit for my hands on my 442. The grips are easy to sight in. Have fun!

·
Registered
158 Posts
I just purchased a brand-new Smith & Wesson Model 438 the other day...looks similar to the 642 shown in the pictures only it's got the blue finish. Shoots .38 Special +P. Looking into pocket holsters by FIST, Mika, DeSantis, and Milt Sparks, thanks to recommendations by fellow forum-users.

I only mention the 438 because it's a revolver. I actually went into the store hoping to get a look at a Kahr P-380 semi-automatic. The person I dealt with in the store convinced me to get the revolver instead.

Know what? I'm damned glad I did!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the comments. I don't see me using it as a plinker at the range so I'm not *too* concerned about the comfort of the grip. I'll take it with me every time I go to the range with my XD... but instead of firing off 100 rounds like usual with the XD I'll probably just throw 20 rounds down range with the 642.

Since I'm considering pocket holster carry... should I forgo the comfort of the larger 305 grip and go with the better concealability of the 405 grip... especially since the use will be limited to 40-50 rounds a month or god forbid when the SHTF?

·
Registered
156 Posts
I went with the LG-405, but did initially consider the extended grip version. The 405 just fits a front jean pocket, and I could see where the extended grip might be more of a problem to conceal unless you had deeper pockets than what you find on a standard pair of jeans.

What I like about the 405 grip vs the hard polymer is that the grip has a "tacky" feel to it and thus easier to maintain a good hold while firing --- especially if your hands are sweaty. Of course, the tacky rubber makes it a little more difficult to pull from a pocket holster. Nevertheless, I felt the 405 was the best compromise for my needs among the three options.

As others have said, the 642 is a sweet little pocket pistol. It packs a lot of "bark" in a small package.

-Seawolf

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
I don't care for the airweights so try looking ar the 649, same gun but all SS and 357 mag!!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yea... I could see the advantage of the 357... but that 649 adds a half a pound in weight. It wouldn't be a big deal if it was my EDC... but if I plan on pocket carrying a snubbie as a bug along with the XD9sc and holster already attached to my belt... the shaved ounces of the 642 would probably be welcome. =)

As far as the lasermax grips... I could see how pitch would affect the alignment less at greater distances than the CT grips.

vs.

I don't expect to be using that thing over greater distances than 7 yards anyways so that probably won't matter. They look a little funny... but it is another option to consider. Thanks!

·
Registered
521 Posts
My 642 came with standard CT grips when I bought the gun. Easy gun to carry, I use a Stoner pocket carry holster.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts