Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's what I'm thinking:
I want 5 or 6 cheap, durable, simple and reliable repeating rifles (semi-auto is preferred, but manually cycling will be considered).

My intent is to leave them packed in cosmoline along with a couple thousand rounds at a bug out location for the purpose of loaning to family and friends who happen by.

I would prefer .223 or 7.62x39. Commonly available ammo is an important factor (cheap ammo doesn't hurt either)

Local and state laws should not be a major concern as the weapons will be in Kansas.

My first thought is the SKS. What else should I consider?

·
Registered
866 Posts
mosin - nagant, I bought a case of 12 a couple of years ago - come in a really strong wooden box...

get a spam can of ammo and you are good to go!

:danceban:

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
If you're considering an SKS, it's tough to overlook the AK. Production volume is estimate at ~90,000,000 (!?!). Uh,...so spare parts shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The AK would be a great choice were cost not in the equation. I do have one for myself, but I'd like to keep the cost of this project around $1000-1500. I might get 2-3 AKs for that, but quantity is also important.

The Mosin-Nagant is a great suggestion. The price is certainly right. I don't see the ammo as often as 7.62x39, but should probably be able to get enough of it before the zombocalypse. Bolt action is a minor disadvantage, but not a deal killer.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Classic Arms Inc.

$389 each. You can probably get 3 plus ammo/accesories and stay within budget.

ROMANIAN AK RIFLE

FEDERAL FIREARMS LICENSE REQUIRED FOR PURCHASE
THE ORIGINAL WASR-10 HI-CAP ROMANIAN AK RIFLE. WE HAVE PROBABLY SOLD MORE UNITS OF THIS AK RIFLE OVER THE YEARS THAN ALL OF OUR OTHER AK TYPES COMBINED. 7.62X39, SEMI-AUTO, RIFLE ITSELF IS FULLY U.S. COMPLIANT TO ACCEPT ALL HIGH CAP MAGS AND DRUMS REGARDLESS OF THEIR COUNTRY OF ORIGIN. THIS IS THE BEST VALUE ON THE MARKET FOR AN ENTRY LEVEL AK RIFLE.... COMES COMPLETE WITH 1-30 RD MAG, SLING CLEANING KIT, OILER AND MANUAL...........ROM-AK.......$389.95
Oh and ditch the cosmoline. It is so WWI. Get some Mylar bags, heavily oil the firearm, add silica gel dessicants, and seal with an iron. Cut it open, run a patch down the barrel for safety, and you are ready to fire. Cosmoline takes hours to clean.

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
I did something different...:icon_neutral:
I sold my AR and bought a couple of other rifles, a Marlin 336SS and a Henry .22mag. Plenty of firepower, lots of extra ammo and all the security I need around the house without scaring the sheep.
I'm satisified with the trade-off.:king:

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
I sold my AR and bought a couple of other rifles, a Marlin 336SS and a Henry .22mag. Plenty of firepower, lots of extra ammo and all the security I need around the house without scaring the sheep.
I'm kinda thinkin' the same thing. Instead of dumping $X,000 on a new rifle, maybe I'll stock up on .30-.30 and .30-06 to feed the old Winchesters.

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Darn it! I was all set to buy an AR and you had to go post this. Got to admit it has some appeal to me. Maybe not the same mix of guns, but something besides an AR. I'll have to ponder this for awhile.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Classic Arms Inc.

Oh and ditch the cosmoline. It is so WWI. Get some Mylar bags, heavily oil the firearm, add silica gel dessicants, and seal with an iron. Cut it open, run a patch down the barrel for safety, and you are ready to fire. Cosmoline takes hours to clean.
+1 on avoiding the cosmoline, it can be a bear to get off the guns and time may be of the essence in the scenario you describe.

+1 on the Mosin-Nagants. They can be found between $80 and $150 each (watch Big 5 for a sale) and the 7.62x54r is a formidable round. Spam cans of 440 rounds are currently going for about $80-$90.

·
Premium Member
7,465 Posts
I recently did the exact same thing as well, with the exception of a Remington 552 Speedmaster instead of the Henry. You can still get a Marlin 336 (non stainless) from Wallyworld for about $341. Some will recall me agonizing over an AR a while back, and ended up with this solution based on some really good feedback from this board.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
I would suggest that you buy Marlin lever actions. They are reasonably priced, and easy to learn manual of arms. They are some of the strongest and most dependable firearms around.

Ammo is always available in 357 mag, 44mag, and 30-30.

·
Premium Member
2,655 Posts
Whatever else you get, include a few Mosin-Nagant’s. They are dirt cheap, indestructible, and pretty darn accurate. There is still plenty of cheap surplus 7.62x54R ammo available, and it is a powerful cartridge similar to a .308 or 30-06.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A Marlin lever gun in .44 or .357 would without a doubt be a great SHTF rifle and I have considered getting one.

Unfortunately, while I could probably afford one or two, I'm not so sure about 5.

I have arms available for myself and Mrs. Warcrimes. What I'm really looking at is my two brothers, sister (she only has shotguns and a pistol), and their families out in California. When it comes down to it (training aside), 5 people with a bolt action beats 1 with an AR any day of the week.

I'm starting to have a bit of reservation about the Mosin-Nagant because of the recoil. It might not be a good beginner rifle. The price however is certainly right.

My hope is to keep it down to $100-250 per rifle.

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
One of the things I would look at is what range are you expecting to possibly be engaging targets at? If you are talking about clear fields of fire going out six hundred plus yards then a real rifle caliber would be called for. If you are talking about a cabin in the woods with a maximum range of one hundred fifty yards things are a little different.

Would some pistol caliber carbines like the Hi point work?

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A pistol caliber carbine would be just fine. I wouldn't expect my novice family members to perform well beyond 100 yards regardless of the weapon.

I would prefer something more like a .45 or .357, but .40 or 9mm would probably do the trick.

I do have a little reluctance about Hi-Point. My experience with their handguns was not thrilling but I've heard little negatives in regards to the carbines. Even if they are reliable, I still don't think they'd have the ruggedness of a military arm.

Excellent suggestion mcp1810.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I'm keeping my AR15 because it's likely we won't be able to buy them in the furture. It's my gun if things get real bad. They can't be beat for versatility, i.e., close quarters out to 300 meters. Beyond that I really think a lever action in .357 or the new remmington pump rifle in .223 are excellent choices. I can appreciate the idea of stocking a quantity of rifles but I don't have the same family situation so for me and my kids we'd use what's in the safe.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the recoil on a Nagant I used to shoot my carbine all day and never got too sore. just slap a new butt pad on there and the smaller folks should be fine. But personally I would get a few Nagant's and a few AK's/SKS for a sustained rate of fire from your group.

·
Super Moderator
22,198 Posts
As a fellow levergun buff, I thought you might find this interesting. Thunder Ranch With A Twist

1 - 20 of 25 Posts