Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i've been thinking about getting an AR (Maybe an AK or M4) for a long time, but the price tag is a little high at the moment... Then I was thinking about what size round I'd like, and I started thinking about getting a .22 due to the fact the ammo seems to be dirt cheap and the only thing I can count on Walmart keeping in stock...

This is purely a "fun gun"... Not exactly what I'd grab if someone was breaking into my house...

I was thinking about the GSG-5 (MP5 clone) in .22LR.

(Here's a link.)

I have to admit I love the MP5 design, and it seems reasonably priced.

Feedback? Should I go with a different size round? Different gun? It wouldn't take any sort of beating... it'd sit in the gun safe until I took it to the range...

Basically, I'm a newbie when it comes to rifles and the such... I'm not looking for anything for real long distance (obviously)...

Since I have a 9mm pistol, should I get a 9mm carbine? It could serve more home defense i guess... just the ammo is a little harder to come by (can still get some though) and more expensive.

I value you guy's opinions. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
Just in the LGS yesterday...the saleman says the GSG is an excellent fun gun and is very accurate. He did say that youhave to run quality hi-vel ammo to keep them runnign but hsaid he cant keep them in stock either.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Everyone should have at least 1 .22 "fun" gun.

The Ruger 10/22 is a good shooter and very versatile with all of the accessories available. The Ruger runs around $200 and add one of dozens of aftermarket stocks for whatever look you like for another $100. That's a lot cheaper option. The Ruger isn't fussy about ammo in my experience.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Definitely a fun gun but can be finnicky at times if you feed it ammo it doesn't like. I was actually thinking about selling mine until I heard about the HK lawsuit against ATI/GSG. The GSG-5 in it's current state will be discontinued in 2010. So I think I may hang on to mine until I see what happens with all that, hehe..

Either way, you'll definitely have a lot of fun with it. Mine eats up federal bulk pack like candy!! :image035:

Another cheaper option, but just as fun...is a ruger 10/22. I use the GSG for close distance plinking (7-50 yards) and the 10/22 for 50-100 yard fun..

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
I agree on the Ruger 10/22. Lots of things you can do to it other than shoot as well. Makes it a rainy day rifle in a way. Remove that factory firing pin and polish it! If a cool looking rifle in 22lr needs to look cool to be cool and to be a "fun" gun, then you can do that too.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the quick answers... i'll check out the 10/22 in a second...

This might sound like a dumb question, but rimfire or centerfire?

I know the difference between the rounds, but which should i be looking at getting?

·
Registered
829 Posts
If it is purely for fun and money is really important then get whatever you will have fun with. I am a 10/22 fan and there are a ton of aftermarket mags, accesories, stocks, barrells to customize it. To me any 22 is fun and the most reasonable to shoot. This week I shot my Ruger target pistol at 50 yds and could keep 85-90% of my rounds in a 6" circle. Shot till I was tired and still had ammo left...

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
Thanks for the quick answers... i'll check out the 10/22 in a second...

This might sound like a dumb question, but rimfire or centerfire?

I know the difference between the rounds, but which should i be looking at getting?
Rimfire....22lr. Fun is finding a club in your area that does silhouette matches.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
Ruger 10/22. Most popular selling. More after market parts. Just be careful with screws in aluminum, have seen a lot with stripped out scope mount screws.

·
Banned
480 Posts
Another real fun gun is the Henry Lever Action .22 LR. The action is extremely smooth, will eat any ammo you want to feed it, no jamming, extremely accurate even without a scope, and will hold 15 rounds of .22 LR., 17 rounds of .22 L., or 22 rounds of .22 S., and weighs only 5.25 lbs. And you don't have to add any accessories to make it a great gun. I've had a couple of 10/22's in the past and they are fun, I certainly can't knock them. Check out the Henry before you decide, you may change your mind. :hand10:

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
The Henry is sweet and will be my next 22.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Ruger 10/22 Charger!
All the +'s of the 10/22 in a PISTOL!!!! :image035:
Too heavy to shoot unsupported, unless you're on steroids, but it comes with a bi-pod and rail on top for a scope.
There's also aftermarket dress-up kits to make it look more naughty. :image035:

·
Super Moderator
50,610 Posts

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
I agree, but I stepped it up a notch with this...
Henry Repeating Arms Rifles ...added a Leopold scope...what a 'fun gun'...:yup::danceban:
I shy away from the 22 mag because of ammo price. I keep some 22 mag around for my single six, just mostly think half the fun is the cheap ammo.

·
Registered
11,179 Posts
In .22, I find that jams take away from the fun. .22 ammo is cheap and dirty, so I've decided that my .22 rifles will be bolt action (lever guns would be ok too), and my .22 handguns will be revolvers (will be picking up a used Iver Johnson .22 8 shot revolver soon - only $149!).

·
Banned
480 Posts
In .22, I find that jams take away from the fun. .22 ammo is cheap and dirty, so I've decided that my .22 rifles will be bolt action (lever guns would be ok too), and my .22 handguns will be revolvers (will be picking up a used Iver Johnson .22 8 shot revolver soon - only $149!).
I understand where you're coming from with the revolver, but, have you checked out the Walther P22? If I were to get a .22 handgun the Walther P22 would be the one. :hand10:

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
Walther P22.

I had one and it was a lemon. I sent it back for repair and it sits in the safe now. I got a Browning Buckmark which is a great little shooter and I got a S&W Model 41 which I shoot the most. I picked it up from a member on this site.

Pay a little extra and get a lot more out of it.

·
Banned
480 Posts
Walther P22.

I had one and it was a lemon. I sent it back for repair and it sits in the safe now. I got a Browning Buckmark which is a great little shooter and I got a S&W Model 41 which I shoot the most. I picked it up from a member on this site.

Pay a little extra and get a lot more out of it.
I read that there was a problem because people were not shooting high velocity ammo, that caused there to be an ejection problem. That's not uncommon with .22 auto pistols. What problem did you have with your gun?

·
Registered
11,179 Posts
If you need to use the more expensive, high velocity .22 ammo to make your pistol work - what is the point of using a .22?

That's why I decided my .22 handgun will be a revolver. Shoots anything. If you get a dud, just pull the trigger again (note that the ONLY duds I have ever personally experienced have all been with .22 ammo).

While malfunctions/duds/jams are not a big deal if the gun is only used for fun, I find that dealing with these issues takes away from the enjoyment of shooting. So, like I said, for .22 it's revolvers and bolt guns for me!:image035:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts