Defensive Carry banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about getting the CMMG or the Spikes Tactical kit so I can shoot .22 lr instead of using up all of my .223 stash.

Since I only have one AR would it be a bad idea to run one of these kits? Would it screw up my gas tube and or barrel?

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
I have one for my AR's and a buddy has the M16 version to run his M16 full auto on 22LR,I have 0 problems with shooting 223 afterwards,the shots aren't as accurate as a dedicated 22 upper,but they are fairly accurate and fun to shoot and save a lot of money,you can shoot about 15 shots 22LR for 1 shot of 223.Mine likes the federal bulk box 550 round ammo and they like a lot of lube on the bolt slide rails.It is cycled by blowback instead of gas so I've never had my gas tube get crudded up.You can get black dog 30 or 26 round replacement mags cheaper than buying the other ones,try JSE surplus and look at their magazines

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I like mine. I keep hearing that if you run a mag of 223 or so after a round of 22lr shooting the gas system will be just fine.

Your barrel will have leading on it, so clean well.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I am going to buy a "dedicated" bushmaster upper for my full auto as most of what I hear is,
CMMG's are nice but not accurate and if your going to do it
mine as well do it right with a .22 barrel made for it.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I'd get one if I could afford to right now. Which is ironic, because the whole point of getting one is so you can afford to shoot.

-B

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
I have had one for years. No issues, and it works well. I do use quality ammo with it, but still tends to lead a bit. Clean the barrel well.

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
I am going to buy a "dedicated" bushmaster upper for my full auto as most of what I hear is,
CMMG's are nice but not accurate and if your going to do it
mine as well do it right with a .22 barrel made for it.
You better make sure that setup will trip the auto sear,or you will end up with a semi-auto,the ciener M16 conversion has a weight and xtra piece of steel that fits on the bottom of the conversion that trips the auto sear without that it will only fire on semi

·
Super Moderator
18,107 Posts
The main problem with the conversion kits is that it shoots a .22 LR bullet through a .223 barrel. The twist is not optimal for the shorter .22 to be accurate.

If you can live with 2"to 2 1/2" groups at 50 yards they are fine.

The dedicated top halves are much better. The barrels on those are made for the .22 long rifle so they are more accurate. The only disavantage is that the dedicated uppers are more expensive than the kits.

I am seriously considering getting the new Colt .22 AR built by Walther. It is by far more accurate than any conversion kit or even dedicated upper that I have fired. This is built from the ground up to shoot .22 LR and it is apparent when being shot.

We fired some excellent groups with one with most groups averaging less than 5/8" at 50 yards using a bench rest. With some different loads, it may even shoot better.

With a scope it would be a serious squirrel/rabbit/crow whacker.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have a CMMG kit and am pleased with it. I'm using it with a 1:9 twist Bushmaster barrel. I have only shot it out to 25 yards, but it is accurate enough for practice and POA/POI shift is negligable. I'm running an Aimpoint comp M2.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts