Defensive Carry banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
to work for the NCDOC. It's a tough job nonetheless but am kind of missing it and thinking i should've given it a another chance as a career or stepping stone into something else. Just been thinking about it lately and and bouncing the idea around. Anybody else do the same thing here ??

·
Super Moderator
50,596 Posts
NCDOC, as in the North Carolina Dept. of Corrections? If so, why did you leave is such a tough economic time? Curious.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, as a Correctional Officer.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Well, I have to say I don't, I work for the city, but as far as job security unless you screw up there will always be convicts, so job security is there.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
NCDOC, as in the North Carolina Dept. of Corrections? If so, why did you leave is such a tough economic time? Curious.
I left the DOC about a year and a half ago due to various personal reasons, but i think i want to go back and give it another shot. I want to be positive about it this time and learn what i can to help myself possibly move into another ave of LE.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I left the DOC about a year and a half ago due to various personal reasons, but i think i want to go back and give it another shot. I want to be positive about it this time and learn what i can to help myself possibly move into another ave of LE.
You already have the experience of working in DOC, why don't you start applying for LEO jobs now? You did the inside, now get on the outside. You might find you excell with your prior experience dealing with criminals and have a better understanding than most other fresh patrol officers have.

·
Registered
415 Posts
"It's a tough job nonetheless but am kind of missing it and thinking i should've given it a another chance as a career or stepping stone into something else."

"I want to be positive about it this time and learn what i can to help myself possibly move into another ave of LE."

Then go for it and best of luck.

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
If there's a regret there AND the opprotunity to give it another round......it might be good to take it. ALTHOUGH, you left it once for your own reasons, make sure your ready to go 'through' it again.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys, i appreciate the comments. I called the regional employment office today and i am still in the system as "inactive". I need to fill out some forms again but all my test scores and stuff is good through 2013. Looks like im going to get that ball rolling again and step back into uniform.:politieagent: I want to go back to the DOC for awhile and then go through our local BLET training, or wait until i move to NY and apply with a PD up there. At the moment i need to get back into the door.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I agree with the other poster. Why not try and go straight to LEO?
Im sure it would be much more in your favor when applying to a NY PD.

My cousin is a CO and he once told me "I may be a CO in a prison, but I still have to go to prison everyday"

Either avenue you go down, I wish you the best.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Just from what I gather from talking to officers in that part of the country, its probably a lot easier to get a LEO job in North Carolina than New York. If you are really serious about moving to NY, you may want to start looking for jobs there now, it will be a long process. Don't bother with BLET if you really are moving, you will just have to do it again (whatever the NY version is) when you get there. On the other hand, if securing a good LEO position in NC will enable you to stay here, by all means go for it.

As for DOC, if that is what you want to do, go for it. I know that wouldn't be a job for me, I don't even like going into the jail to drop off my arrestees, but I'm glad there are folks who can stomach the job.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts