Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Local pawn shop has 1 each P228, P226 and P225 in 9mm.

Best price I can get for any/all of the three is $600 out the door.
Each comes with full kit, case & 3 mags. P226 mags are all x15.

1. Haven't heard much about P225. Older version? Seems similar to 228... yes?

2. Is 226 that much bigger/ harder to conceal? The size difference doesn't seem to be much...

I plan to CC whichever of these I get, if any.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions?

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Main obvious difference in 226 and 228 is barrel length and a slight grip size reduction with the latter - I can't get 228 mags into the 226 but other way round works. My 226 is the ST so noticeably heavier.

To shoot the 228 tho feels very similar to the 226 - and so I find them almost interchangeable - only weight difference is obvious.

I am not up on the 225 at all.

Pics for comparison of 226 and 228 -- sorry but scale not quite matching so differences harder to see. If you wish I'll take a new pic of both in same shot.

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
IMO you can't go wrong with any of them. The 228 and 226 use the same holster, which is nice since I have both and carry both. The other advantage for me is that the P220 in 45 uses the same holster. All conceal about the same for me, although I don't have the 225. The P225 should be slightly easier to conceal as they are smaller and slightly flatter than the P220/226/228 frame sizes.

P225s are sought after by some because the single stack mags mean a smaller grip for smaller hands. I do not like this grip so I never bought one.

A new P226 in 40 S&W with 2 mags will set you back over $800 today. However if these are used it would depend on condition and options as to whether or not I would snag one for $600

-Scott-

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Chris

Thanks for the pics. I've put all 3 side by side on the top of the case at the shop, handled and dry-fired all 3. While there is some slight visual difference, as you say, they feel virtually identical. Not sure I could tell which was which with my eyes closed.

I guess I can't wrap my head around the idea of a service-size pistol for CC. It would seem from what you and others have said that if I do go full size, Sig is the way to do it... and I really want that 15 rnd cap.

Bud

Thanks for the link. Lots of good background info on lots of guns. Just stuck it in my faves.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Tank - if at all possible I would recommend service size for CC - if concealment gear will suffice then you will have a much better weapon on hand.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Forget to mention (remind) don't forget CDNN re the Police trade-ins - seems there are some stellar deals on SIG's at times and IIRC they can be in region of $450. Some folks have gone that route and reckoned what they got was little used, even if showing some external wear.

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
You welcome for the link one of the best info sources out there..Sigs are good guns and if your happy with the controls go for um id buy all 3 just for heck of it

i carry a Fullsize 1911 or as of late glock 17 or 20 so a service size can be carried quite comfortably

·
Registered
6,749 Posts
Tank
I have the 228 and the 226.........BOTH guns are mighty fine weapons, with the 228 being slighlty smaller than the 226..........If it's money wise........the 228 is scarce and holds value more than the 226........Secial Ops Units are currently using both weapons platforms..Lotta $$ for the 226........... and offer him 500.00 to 550.00 for the 228........
As for the 225........it's the same size as the 228............just a single stack gun........they curently sell around 500.00 for it.....only a 9 shot gun, BUT, if it's conceilability,, you only have 4 more round with the 228 in your belt........so with that..........it's a toss up......The 226 might fit you better as it's a 15 shooter........just larger...........Overlay them, and compare sizes,

·
Super Moderator
25,537 Posts
DARK SIDE???? :gah:

Any one of the three should do what ever you want. For CC I think I'd look at the 228 first, it is a nice "middle" of the three. :hand10:

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Funny thing, I'm developing a serious lust for this "new" P239 SAS version in DAK. That is one sweeeeet 40! A little bigger, perhaps than my Glock M27, but it feels very nice in my hands. I guess though that the mag capacity tops out around 8 or 9? Or more?

·
Registered
6,749 Posts
ExSoldier762 said:
Funny thing, I'm developing a serious lust for this "new" P239 SAS version in DAK. That is one sweeeeet 40! A little bigger, perhaps than my Glock M27, but it feels very nice in my hands. I guess though that the mag capacity tops out around 8 or 9? Or more?
The SAS 40 cal tops out at 8 rounds...........we have a few in stock, about 949.00 new............have one used <ANIB> for 695.00... kinda loose though <slide rattles>
They have the full melt-down treatment too Two-tone guns in the DAK configuration:image035:

·
Super Moderator
25,537 Posts
ExSoldier762 said:
Funny thing, I'm developing a serious lust for this "new" P239 SAS version in DAK.
I've got a "regular" 239, but have been gazing lovingly at the P229 SAS...... Which I'd want to swap out to 357 SIG using a factory drop in barrel.

·
Super Moderator
25,537 Posts
CLASS3NH said:
have one used <ANIB> for 695.00... kinda loose though <slide rattles>
The slide on my 239 has a bit of a rattle, and came that way new. Everyone I've talked to (and SIG Forum) all say that isn't a problem. And, since my 239 seems to put'em where I point'em, I'm not complaining! :biggrin2:

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
$950 IS a lot of clams....

Bud White said:
949$ for 8 rounds of 40 I think not.. Im taking it this is a limited model or something?
Yeah it's a "special" alright. Maybe somebody can post a pic?

And I'm not sure I want to pop $950 smackers for 8rds either. Especially when I already have 9, 10, 13, & 15rds in my Glock M27 with standard, +1 extension, +4 (M23 mag with spacer) & +6 (M22 mag)

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
Heres a Pic with Specs says 12 rounds

aliber

40 S&W

Trigger Pull DAK

6.5 lbs

Overall Length

7.10 inches

Overall Height

5.40 inches

Overall Width

1.50 inches

Barrel Length

3.90 inches

Sight Radius

5.70 inches

Weight w/ Mag

32.0 oz

Mag Capacity

12 Rounds

10-Rnds in certain states

Sights

SIGLITE® Front, Contrast Rear

Grips

Custom Shop Wood Grips

MSRP

$899

·
Registered
6,749 Posts
yeah Bud....that's the 229.......... i think he was lookin for the 239?
Heyyyyyyyy wait a sec...........anybody ever see the P229s that have the gold trigger, slide stop, mag release?? They also have a deep bluing with matt frame finish........and are engraved on the top of the slide..zebrawood grips... we have 3 of em..........695.00 each with a wood display case..........Got em straight from Sig...........695.00 I'll get a pic Thursday night..and post it........REALLY neat gun.. factory Blems as they're called

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
ok here's the 239 then..

ooo its a Custom Shop gun to but still 7+1 turns me off for a package that size the Glock holds 9+1 not that i like the mini glocks but still

Caliber

40 S&W

Trigger Pull DAK

6.5 lbs

Overall Length

6.60 inches

Overall Height

5.20 inches

Overall Width

1.20 inches

Barrel Length

3.60 inches

Sight Radius

5.2 inches

Weight w/ Mag

29.5 oz

Mag Capacity

7 Rounds

Sights

SIGLITE® Front, Contrast Rear

Grips

Custom Shop Wood Grips

MSRP

$849

·
Registered
940 Posts
One final thing to remember: Use the Mec-gar +2 mags and your mag capacity jumps. 17+1 in the 226.

As far as concealability, the 225 is probably the simplest, as the butt on the 226/8/9 is the hardest part for most folks to hide.

I'm partial to the full-size Sigs - the 228 for me is a gun that doesn't accomplish anything that its big brother can't.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts