Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got some very close friends who not too long ago bought my ex's glock 23 off of her. As it was their first handgun, I agreed to help show them some things about it and help familiarize themselves with shooting. I took along my XDM and we spent a few hours in their backyard shooting at different things such as paper targets, paper plates, and water filled milk jugs. They had a lot of fun, and felt a lot more comfortable with having a handgun in the house.

Of course, we shot both handguns, and they really liked my XDM, my friend and his wife had both made comments that they liked the feel of the XDM better, with his wife also commenting that she had an easier time controlling the XDM as well. At that time, they jokingly made the suggestion that we should trade. I turned them down back then.

Well yesterday I went over so we could do some shooting again. Shooting both pistols again, I realized that I still like the glock and would definitely have an easier time concealing the 23. So this time I made the suggestion that we do an even trade. They both said that they liked the XDM better, and that they'd rather have a full sized pistol than a compact for their home anyway. They want to borrow it, and put a good amount of ammo through it to make sure.

So, they're going to bring the glock to me to hold on to while they borrow my XDM this week and put it through it's paces.

I'm not trying to start a Springfield vs. Glock debate here, and I'm really hoping it doesn't devolve into that. But does anyone else think I'm making a good trade? The glock has only had about 350 to 400 rounds put through it, and they're including the fobus paddleback holster and double mag pouch that they were given when they first bought it. Both are .40's, and I'll be going from carrying 49 to 40 rounds on me (I always carry 2 spare mags on me if I'm carrying my gun), but I don't feel like I'm going to be undergunned if I do make this switch. This is a 3rd generation glock 23 by the way.

·
Banned
160 Posts
Sounds fair to me . The most important thing is that neither party feels taken advantage of. 40 rounds should be plenty.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Personally I see trading like this: Regardless of whats being traded(unless you have absolutely no idea of it's value) A good trade is one that ends up with both parties having a firearm they like better than the one they traded. If there is any doubt about that, then don't trade.

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
Honestly, having had both weapons, I think the XDM is a slightly better weapon but I agree for CCW the Glock would be my choice. :smile:

·
Premium Member
7,579 Posts
You're probably taking a hit on the XDm, but like jca1 said, if your both happier with the trade, go for it. Just remember, sellers remorse goes with trades also!

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
As has been said, if your both happy with the deal, it's a good one. The 23 is a much easier package to carry, size and weight wise.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, the 23 was what I would take if I was leaving and the ex was staying at home. The price of the two doesn't really matter too much to me, as I was the original buyer of both. I bought the 23 in November of last year as her Christmas gift(and since it was right after the elections, it was more expensive than normal), and bought the XDM in March of this year. So in all honesty, there was probably only about $40 difference in what I paid for the two. Plus the fobus accesories, while they aren't the best, weren't exactly free either. And I'll be getting those back too.

·
Registered
134 Posts
All things being equal (sights, finish, number of mags) there is only maybe a 20 or 30 dollar difference with the XDm having the small edge. So it is really what you and your friend prefer.

·
Banned
13,685 Posts
You know it, and you can't deny it any longer! I hope this works out for you!

Honestly, having had both weapons, I think the XDM is a slightly better weapon but I agree for CCW the Glock would be my choice.
So....being this is a CCW forum and all, would that insinuate the XDM is better suited as a 'range gun', 'truck gun', or what gun?
Honestly don't mean to fester something...but you know me. If it aint your choice for CCW then what is it "better" than?
Something to ponder for us all.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

I took this pic awhile ago. They're both black, both have 3 factory mags, and both have the original case and all accessories.

I wish I had the money to buy my own Glock, but it's just not an option right now. And while I'd planned on just waiting until the tax refund rolls in next year to get another Glock, I may just buy another XDM instead.

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Since you are all friends, If everyone's happy with the trade it seems like a good deal all around. I'm not sure how big the XDm is, but I have an XD45 4" and if the XDm is the same size as the XD, it's definitely going to be easier to CC the 23. My XD is my nightstand/house gun.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have carried the 23 and have A XD for CCW the 23 get +1 I do not know how well you know these people just make sure you do the paper work It is Illegal to loan a conciable firearm other than that sounds like a good trade if ever one is happy.

Good Luck Be Safe

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
You will both be filling your needs with the trade. They get a HD gun they are happy with and youget the CCW you like better anyways. I would go for it. Suggest they cook you a good dinner for the boot difference in price. LOL

·
Registered
916 Posts
As others have said, if both sides are happy, then it's a good deal.

While the XDm would not be my first choice for ccw (that's what I have the 9sc for) it can be done. I have carried a XD45 service concealed as well as my XD40 service.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have carried the 23 and have A XD for CCW the 23 get +1 I do not know how well you know these people just make sure you do the paper work It is Illegal to loan a conciable firearm other than that sounds like a good trade if ever one is happy.

Good Luck Be Safe
Well, he and I have been friends since we were 6, he was the best man at my wedding, and I've known his wife for about 20 years now. I don't think I have much to worry about.

I've never heard of it being illegal to loan a firearm to someone. I'll look into that, but I'm pretty sure it's not illegal here in Tennessee. :wave:

·
Super Moderator
50,585 Posts
It's a trade that I would have no problem making...both are winners, but I'd always take the side that you're getting.:yup::yup::bier:

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
No, its not illegal to loan a gun out in any of the free states.

And I wouldnt even think about the trade. I would have been on here telling everybody about my new G23 by now.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, made the trade today. I'm now the 3rd owner, yet original purchaser, of a 3rd generation Glock 23. :yup:

They decided not to worry about shooting it anymore since we had just done that. So I went over there and made the swap this afternoon. I'm glad this worked out so well for everyone involved. They're happy, and I'm happy.

I have a question about the glock UTL though. If I were to buy one when I've got the extra money, does it stick out past the barrel on the compact models?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts