Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been doing some serious thinking about trading 3 of my handguns that I don't really carry or fire that much, for one that I've had my eye on for quite awhile. Sometimes I find ask myself WTH am I thinking :twak:, and other times I think it's a great idea:yup:. The one I want would be used for daily CC. In a perfect world it would be nice to keep the three and buy the new one without a trade, but I'm finding that trying to buy ammo for so many different calibers is a pain in the butt. Thoughts?

So here's what I want to trade.

Glock 23 .40
SCYY CPX-1 9mm
Ruger LCP .360

all of these have less than 100 rounds through them.

What I want to trade them for?

an FN Five-Seven

Why the Five-Seven? 20+1 round capability and I think the 5.7 round is just really cool. I think it would be like shooting a mini M-4. Oh, and FYI, for large caliber protection I'm going to keep my Taurus Judge.

Thanks for any feedback.:bier:

·
Registered
49 Posts
The 5.7 is a mean round, 20 in the clip is excellent, barely any recoil, and it weighs less than most 9mm guns. I've had my eye on it also. Oh, and it's a great home range gun considering the round has no lead in it! Seems a bit big for carry though. I'm with you all the way, even if slightly jellous!

·
Banned
13,685 Posts
How difficult is it to find 5.7 ammo? I can't say I usually see any around here. If I had to trade three pistols, and these three were the only pistols I owned at the time, for something I really wanted, then I'd probably have to want it less (a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush?).

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Does this;
Glock 23 .40 + SCYY CPX-1 9mm + Ruger LCP .360 = A FN FiveSeven?

That depends on what you paid for the guns you're trading. It looks like about a $900 deal to me. The FiveSeven typically sells for about that, sometimes more, so it may be a fair, or at least fair enough trade to make it financially equal.

Many indoor ranges do not allow the 5.7 round.

Have you had a chance to shoot one? In a nutshell, they are;
accurate, light weight, reliable, low in recoil, produce a huge flash, and sound like a cannon. It's a little large to carry but any gun can be carried if you want to bad enough.

Ammo has been pretty available, one of the few that didn't double in price. There are several varieties available. I've seen ammo as low as $15 and as high as $30. It mostly goes for between $18 and $22.

Only you can decide if it's a fair deal. The FiveSeven is a quality gun, no doubt, but my advise would be to consider whether you can get as much enjoyment out of it as the other three.

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
Yeah, thats a dumb trade. The FN is neat, but thats about it. I promise you will get less use out of it than your trading fodder.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
Yeah definitely not a wise trade IMO.

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
Not a good trade IMO. Maybe the Glock and the LCP, or the SCYY CPX and the LCP, but not all three. JMO:confused:

·
Registered
829 Posts
I have some friends who have it and I would say it is more a novelty gun for me... Neat round, neat idea, but if it were that great, spec ops, swat and others would switch to it. For about the same size gun you can get an XDM which will hold your 20 and save 500 bucks (a glock or the other 2, this would get you to 2 kinds of ammo also). There are also high cap (13-15) guns that size which take 357sig, 40, & 45. Same situation if its me, I wouldn't. If I want a novelty gun I just start skimping on lunches, saving change, doing odd jobs to pay for it. By then I have usually changed my mind.

However we are all different, it is your money, and you have the choice, chose wisely my friend.

·
Premium Member
7,579 Posts
It's your equipment, do as you please. Personally I wouldn't trade/sell any GLOCK unless I had spares. Maybe save a little more and hang on to G23.

Good luck.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I've been doing some serious thinking about trading 3 of my handguns that I don't really carry or fire that much, for one that I've had my eye on for quite awhile. Sometimes I find ask myself WTH am I thinking :twak:, and other times I think it's a great idea:yup:. The one I want would be used for daily CC. In a perfect world it would be nice to keep the three and buy the new one without a trade, but I'm finding that trying to buy ammo for so many different calibers is a pain in the butt. Thoughts?

So here's what I want to trade.

Glock 23 .40
SCYY CPX-1 9mm
Ruger LCP .360

all of these have less than 100 rounds through them.

What I want to trade them for?

an FN Five-Seven

Why the Five-Seven? 20+1 round capability and I think the 5.7 round is just really cool. I think it would be like shooting a mini M-4. Oh, and FYI, for large caliber protection I'm going to keep my Taurus Judge.

Thanks for any feedback.:bier:
Never heard of a LCP .360 but I have heard of a .380 :duh:

·
Registered
366 Posts
If it makes you happy do it!...I personally wouldn't do it, But I don't have the hots for a 5.7.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
I would trade for a reliable carry gun that ammo is readily available for, spare parts are commonplace, such as a Kimber 1911 variation.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I'll help you out. I give you $100 cash for your G23.

What can I say, I'm just a giving person.

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
I'm not sure about possible over penetration of the 5.7 round,but sounds like it could be a very real possibility,light fast pointy bullet,you ever have to shoot anybody with it and hit a 3rd party you will be toast,does cop killer round come to mind

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I'm not a Glock fan, but if I really wanted the FiveSeven (which I would like to have it just for the novelty), I would keep the Glock and the LCP (not a LCP fan either, but I do like the KT P3AT and know the value of the extreme concealability). The Skky...or Sccy, or whatever they are today, and the oversized "Judge" would be trade fodder, even if I had to scrimp up another couple hundred bucks.

I think in terms of carryability and concealability for all types of conditions. But, if concealed carry is of no concern to you then go for it. Personally, I would rather have at least three good carry options including the Glock, the LCP and the FiveSeven...if it can be properly carried.

Admittedly, I have made similar type trades in the past and usually ended up regretting them.

surv

·
Registered
38 Posts
I shot the 5.7 yesterday for the first time. Its super light, but way to bulky to be an every day carry, in my opinion. But then I'm a skinny guy I'd have to wear a carhartt jacket to conceal that thing. The pistol itself shot well and I liked it, but like others have said it seems more like a novelty item. Stick with Glock.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
The FN FiveSeven is funky (in a good way) but chunky (in a bad way). The caliber is VERY job-specific (defeat common body armor with a handgun round) but can be semi-expensive & tough to find just anywhere. Other than the uncommon penetration capability, (IMHO) the ballistics aren't that impressive, rather like a .22 magnum on steroids. For a (non-military) SD handgun, I would pick a 9mm or .40 S&W every single time. Nope, no trade!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts