Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, Im thinking of upgrading my current carry piece a Sig P220 .45, for a Glock 20 10mm. So far as I can see with the 4 mags, and a couple boxes of ammo I can swing it without spending a dime.

Am I crazy, from the way i see it higher magazine capacity, higher caliber, and a lighter weapon.

So thoughts opinions? As to ammo cost, and recoil thats a non issue.

Also I know you can convert a 10mm Glock to .40, but what does that intail from anyone thats done so. Like is it just a new barrel or do I need a new slide, magazine, or other parts?

Thanks in advanced.

·
Super Moderator
18,107 Posts
I love my 220. I carry a G21 and I dont love it at all.

I would much rather have a 10mm Sig.

With that being said, if the 10mm Glock makes you happy, then do it.I think that the 10 is one of the best handgun rounds made for SD.Even though I'm not a great lover of Glocks I have considered getting the G20 myself.

I'm not sure about converting, I think swapping out the barrel ought to do it though. The 10mag may be a bit long for the .40 to work right out of it.

·
Premium Member
7,579 Posts
Unlike the esteemed HotGuns I do love my G21. The G20 is a fabulous gun, and will someday be part of my battery. I say go for it.

·
Banned
13,685 Posts
I've heard of FTE issues with this sort of swap 10mm to 40S&W. You may be able to do this with just an aftermarket barrel though. I think you can forget about doing the conversion with all Glock parts as it stands now.
I love my P220 as well.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
If you like the new 10mm, go for it. I notice you stated ammo cost isn't an issue. If that's the case, you are lucky! If it fits your hand and you shoot it well, get it!

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
I just traded a gun away that I felt was superior to the one I traded for but the one I traded was going to spend the rest of it's life sitting in the safe so I at least got something I'll use. Just a thought. :wink:

It's a personal choice but you will be trading down in my opinion. :scratchchin:

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I take it no one has a Glock 20 that wants to chime in?
Im just wanting to upgrade, and sadly with a .45 the only way to do so is either go with a revolver, or a Desert Eagle.....no, or a Wildey. Sadly the Wildey is just too much money, and not carriable for me.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Terri: I have made trades in the past and never looked back, because in the end, I got what I wanted. That said, Glocks are terrific, but so are Sigs. The Sig 220 is a great firearm, and anyone would be proud to own one, and it is significantly more expensive than a Glock. If you want to trade it off for a 10mm Glock I'd have to ask what are you really gaining? Even with no out of pocket money, what have you gained? 45 ACP is pretty much a universally available round, and has plenty of power to end a fight. 10mm may be very difficult to find; I know in my area it is scarce. I would give it some more thought before making the leap!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I think you should save up for the Glock 20. Keep the Sig 220 for 2 reasons.

1.Sig 220 is a reliable handgun, accurate and combat proven.
2. .45 acp is a common defensive round.

I love the ballistics of 10mm. But I wouldnt get rid of a 220 if I owned one, especially if I was accurate and consistent with it.

Save up for that Glock 20. Having more than one caliber in your stable is great.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The title of this thread made me smile and recall a trade that I made many years ago.

Shortly after they were available I purchased a Glock 22, .40 cal. It came with two high capacity mags and was a very sweet shooter.

After putting a couple of boxes of cartridges through it I loaded it up with Hydro-shoks and it went into my nightstand drawer. After about six months of ownership and the occasional "fondling" of it I unloaded it, packed it up in it's original packaging and took it back to the gunshop where I had purchased it to ask if they would be willing to accept in a trade for a .45 cal semi.

The counter man asked why I wanted to trade. I told him that I decided I really wanted a .45. That I wasn't crazy about the Glock's trigger safty and it's thick grip didn't fit in my hand well. But, that the real, honest and true reason I wanted to trade was I just thought the Glock was ugly. :smile:

I ask for a recommendation for a quality semi that looked like a "real pistol" and had a thinner grip. What the guy brought out and what I immediatly fell in love with was a Sig P220.

I took a "bad financial beating" on the deal but I've never looked back. I still have the Sig P220 (now with Crimson Trace Laser) and would not ever consider getting rid of it.

I guess that's why they make choclate and vanilla. :rofl:

Whatever you decide to do I'm sure you'll be happy. Both are fine pistols. But, I agree with Thumper, I think you'll be "trading down". Oh, and I know, opinions are like a** holes, everybody has one. :smile:

·
Registered
60 Posts
What are you thinking? :slap:

You will NOT be upgrading anything by trading a SIG for a Glock, regardless of caliber!

I'm not saying 'don't buy a Glock' I'm considering one myself, but there is no way I'll sell or trade my P220 for anything.:nono:

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I guess it depends on your definition of an upgrade.

Do you think .45ACP is an inadequate caliber? Do you need higher capacity? Does the P220 not conceal well for you?

I think the P220 is about the best service .45ACP handgun out there. As for concealability, I was recently wearing it in my MTAC under a tucked-in t-shirt and went to dinner with a buddy who knew I would be carrying. He commented, "I am surprised you aren't carrying." He couldn't find it at all and he knew I ought to be carrying. :smile: I am pretty sure the only way to upgrade a P220 is to send it off to Bruce Gray for a trigger job.

That said, if you have the itch for a 10mm Glock, buy one, but like ctm said, I am having trouble picturing this as an upgrade, personally...

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Okay, here is part of my reason for wanting to upgrade. One, I live pretty far out in the boonies. Im tired of coming home at night, or going outside to smoke and having to sneak past the 400+ wild boars with only my .45 on me. They are really starting to pop up more and more to the point Im thinking of anytime Im out at dark getting the shotgun out.
Second I would like a longer range in my shooting ability then .45 gives.
Third the .45 is a great SD round, but the 10mm gives me more ability to deal with multiple situations with one gun.
Four, I can't afford in any way to get a new weapon other then trading for it. Right now the only thing that I have that can get me a weapon able to deal with the wild boars and CC with is a 10mm, and the only way to do that is with my Sig.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Two years ago I did exactly that- sold my P220 and replaced it with a Glock20 as EDC. I loved the Sig but wanted something with more power. The G20 does everything I require, even for CCW. Will not trade back down from 10mm to 45.

·
Registered
106 Posts
TerriLi, Just saw your last post, must have been typing at the same time-
Part of my reason for going to the 10mm is it is the lightest caliber I'm comfortable carrying in the woods. You can change from hollowpoints for town carry to 180gn 1300fps softpoints when going for a hike. The extra power is comforting (not as comforting as a 454 but much better than a 45), and I can hit an 18 inch gong at 100 yards fairly consistently with the 10mm without holding above the target. The G20 just works. Don't forget good tritium sights.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Well, I can understand the wild boar problem. Personally, I'd probably rather have a revolver chambered in .454 Casull for that little problem---with the bonus of being able to practice with .45 Colt to save some money! :smile:

If you just can't buy another gun, then you do what you need to, and maybe the 10mm fits your needs better than .45ACP. On the other hand, maybe you could augment by picking up a used .44 Magnum revolver at a much lower price point, too. Me, I just couldn't give away one of my P220s, and I have three of 'em...

·
Super Moderator
18,107 Posts
One thing about it, when it comes to hunting, the 10MM beats the .45 just about every which way.

If I was worried about a hog charge, I would have the 10MM.
For a handgun that you can still conceal, it doesn't get much better than that.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts