Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I carry a Kimber Ultra CDP as my primary gun. I am thinking of transitioning to a Glock 26. Am I crazy? I like the size and the extra rounds without having to carry an extra mag. The plan is to use the CDP for the house( CDP in the bedroom and the Cust. TLE/RL downstairs) and carry the G26. Anyone made such a move? What are the pros and cons? I think I might be looking for a reason to get a new gun:kay:. The groups thoughts are welcome.

·
Registered
34 Posts
There are no Cons to owning a Glock but my advice before you put down that chunk of change is to try shooting one first. Since your used to the Kimber, the grip angle is different and might take some getting used to.

·
Registered
742 Posts
The 26 is the best of the Glock shortys, but all have had some problems. Compound recoil systems are more troublesome.

As far as the extra magazine, this is the item most likely to fail, good reason to always have a spare with you.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The G26 was my first pistol i have bought. With that in mind, i could not get a group with that for the life of me..Needless to say i traded that in.

Since then i have shot every single pistol i could get my hands on and i shoot substrantially better. I have shot guns simliar in size to the Glock and shoot them fine.

I would like to believe the reason i could not shoot the Glock well was because it was my first gun. In anycase, if i had to do it again, i would get the Spingfield XD-9 Subcompact..

It is the same size (and polymer) and i\'ve proven to myself i could shoot that gun well.

Please don\'t get the hint that i dislike Glocks here though, i love them all and shoot them all well with the exeption of the G26 :D

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
I looked at a G-26 almost bought one to except my fingers wouldnt fit the finger groove the high point of the grooves would sit right in the middle of my finger very uncomfortable to shoot..

I went with a springfield Xd sub compact ..

Also if you have problems switching from on gun to the next easyly then a glock isnt for you i can switch frames and grip angle easyly but i know other cant the mrs cant switch from my mark ii and then to a wheelie or a 1911 with otu a lot of shots

Something else to think about

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
The G26 is an awesome gun. Reliable, easy to carry, easy to shoot, and surprisingly accurate. Mine has been 100% reliable. I have large hands, but have no problem holding it. Just adjust your grip a little bit, or if you don’t like your pinky being in a different place then get a magazine floor plate with a grip extension. I bought one to be my summer carry gun, and I now carry it at other times also, because it is so easy to carry. Do a search on GlockTalk if you want to read so more first hand accounts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replys,ALL. I have rather small hands; built more for surgery than running a rough neck on a rig. I am a bit confused on the grip extensions. I have seen the pictures and think it is the way to go for me, do you have to take the mag apart? Does anyone make the mag, extension all in one easy to use kit. I like the idea of adding an extra shot or two and the extension to all mags for the gun. Anyone have the N.Y. trigger I have heard about?

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
For the grip extension – check out Lone Wolf Distributors. Usually Pearce or Scherer
are recommended.
http://www.lonewolfdist.com/

You just replace the magazine floor plate. It’s not hard. Lone Wolf sells ones for the G27 and G33 that add capacity, but I think the ones for the G26 just add an extension for your finger without adding any magazine capacity.

From Lone Wolf
Pearce - Grip Extension Fits M/26,27,33

These units replace the magazine base plate and retain all other factory components. They do not alter the capacity of the magazine and provide extra length for better control and comfort. They blend with the contours and texture of the handgun giving a factory appearance. They form the next logical finger positioning feature to provide control and comfort without sacrificing concealability

As for the NY trigger – I’ve never tried one. I like the stock trigger pull. Do a search on Glock Talk for plenty of discussion on the NY Trigger.

http://www.glocktalk.com

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is the H&K P2000 SK in 9mm worth the extra $$ over the Glock? I don\'t mind paying the upcharge if it is warranted.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Originally posted by KC135
The 26 is the best of the Glock shortys, but all have had some problems. Compound recoil systems are more troublesome.

As far as the extra magazine, this is the item most likely to fail, good reason to always have a spare with you.
why are double recoil springs more troublesome? this system is used for enhancement on the Harrts recoil reducers.Anyways my G26 has performed flawlessly for many years.My first choice for a BUG.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I have never heard of any problems with the double recoil springs, nor with the Glock sub-compacts in general. I have a G26 and a G33 and have never experienced a glitch.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I would also recommend looking at the SA XD sub compact before you make your final decision. It is basically the same gun but the grip angle is different (also has grip safety) They feel better to me than a Glock ( which I have owned a 17,27,23 at various times)

·
Registered
52 Posts
It\'s hard to beat a G26. They are accurate and reliable. Mine has been 100% since I bought it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
G26 is a great gun! My instructor had one at my concealed carry class. During break he let me shoot it and I had fantastic groups with it. I went and bought one for myself. Several thousand rounds through it now and never had a fail to feed or fail to fire. Great gun.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Originally posted by JT
I have never heard of any problems with the double recoil springs, nor with the Glock sub-compacts in general.
I found this article right after a I bought a used G26: http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/guiderods.html

I fired four rounds at the range with it and the recoil ass\'y ate itself. I ordered a replacement from Wolff and it has been 100%.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I had a chance to shoot the G26. After shooting a 100 rounds I do not think it is the gun for me. I guess after shooting a 1911 for so long, the trigger does take a bit of getting used to. In the process of shooting the G26 side by side with the Ultra CDP, I came to the conclusion that I am looking for a 9mm that would be comparable to the CDP I carry now. No offense to Glock owners; the gun shot nice groups and functioned flawlessly. I know I want 9mm, after this I don\'t know. Thoughts on HK\'s and Berrettas, shoot even that FN Five-seveN is trick. Can you see I am a confused man looking for another gun:mad:?

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I found this article right after a I bought a used G26: http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/guiderods.html

I fired four rounds at the range with it and the recoil ass\'y ate itself. I ordered a replacement from Wolff and it has been 100%.
Looks like an early problem that has been corrected. My 26 is in the E series.

On a side note, while I’m not discounting the article –It’s probably factual - anything about Glocks on Dean Speir’s site should be double-checked. He seems to have a grudge against Glocks. Many on GlockTalk will tell you he is leading a crusade against Glock, he’s a liar, and you should not believe anything he says. I don’t know enough about him to say that, but I do know there are inaccuracies in many of his articles on Glocks. . He does point out some legitimate concerns at times, but he would be much more credible if he was more balanced in his articles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
JT - Thanks for the head\'s up. I wasn\'t aware of any bias and only found the article trying to find info on my bsuted up recoil ass\'y. The nature of my failure was exactly as described in the article, but the s/n of my G26 is out of range of the supposed affected range.

Being new to the whole Glock scene, I have not read much over at GT.

Cheer!

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
While I am a big fan of Glock, I ‘ll admit that some on GT go a little overboard. It is a man made device so they can have faults at times. The truth probably lies somewhere in between what Dean Speir has to say and what the rabid Glock fans have to say.

Not that everybody at GT is a rabid Glock fan. You can get some real good information and advice from many of the people over there. I think it has gotten more balanced over time.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts