Defensive Carry banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it sounds crazy, but I just got my Kentucky Peace Officers Association notice in the mail, with the schedule for this years shooting events, and I'm thinking of using a SA revolver.

The course starts at 40 yards and works down to 3 yards. I know time and reloading will put me at a disadvantage, as the course is geared for modern guns. I have competed often in the past.

But I can't help but think how much fun it would be, and would stretch me way beyond my comfort level. I'm not even sure if they would allow it, but I really want to give it a try.

Any thoughts out there, or opinions?

·
Premium Member
7,465 Posts
You already know what I think. That would remove all doubt that you are, in fact a super hero.

I also would be concerned about reloading. Can you can you carry multiple guns? I think a cylinder swap-out may be slower than manual reload, and at the very least too risky should you get hung-up.

What caliber? I know you're probably thinking 45 LC, but .38 may let you run a little quicker. Keep us posted.

{edit}

I almost was able to get Bob Munden to work over my Vaquero before he died. He was already going in for a kidney transplant at the time though, so I was waiting and hoping for his recovery to send it in. I'll miss that guy.

·
Super Moderator
22,604 Posts
I know it sounds crazy, but I just got my Kentucky Peace Officers Association notice in the mail, with the schedule for this years shooting events, and I'm thinking of using a SA revolver.

The course starts at 40 yards and works down to 3 yards. I know time and reloading will put me at a disadvantage, as the course is geared for modern guns. I have competed often in the past.

But I can't help but think how much fun it would be, and would stretch me way beyond my comfort level. I'm not even sure if they would allow it, but I really want to give it a try.

Any thoughts out there, or opinions?
You might not win, but you'd probably be the guy with the biggest smile. :wink:

·
Registered
21,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Whec, I have a 44 spl 4 5/8 barrel. Multiple guns aren't allowed in this particular run.

The thing is, I don't expect to win, as its a point system and the more hits on paper, the potential for a higher score.

But in real life, good hits center punching the target is what counts. And I believe I can score the maximum score more easily with the 44, but I know I won't get as many. But what I do should be 10 point or at least 9 ring hits.

I've won enough of these events that its just not that important to have another wall hanger or useless trophy to collect dust. I just want to have fun!

·
Registered
21,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You might not win, but you'd probably be the guy with the biggest smile. :wink:
That's what I'm thinking:)

·
Registered
21,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, Bob was a real superhero. He will be missed. Now Bob could win a competition like this, if he could reload quick enough.

But the reality for him is six was enough unless he faced seven, and then I wouldn't put it past him to figure out a 2-fer.

·
Premium Member
5,611 Posts
If you practice combat style revolver speed loads, I think you would amaze a lot of people with a SA revolver. The art of the combat revolver is a dying skill. Its one thing to change a mag quickly, but to watch someone open a cylinder, drop the empties, stuff in a speedloade, release the rounds, drop the loader, close the cylinder, get back on target, cock the hammer and fire is awesome. and when they do this almost as fast a magazine change its pure poetry in motion. I think you would have a ton of fun, and would suprise yourself too, if you gave it a shot and went out just for the fun of it to show yourself you can do it. When I get a wheelgun, I already know i will spend countless hours practicing speed loading just to see how fast i can do it lol.

·
Super Moderator
19,272 Posts
Oh Gman. You've really gone around the bend now. Still...I'd really rather "ride the river" with you and that .44 than most other pistoleros I know, no matter what pistol they are toting.

It would sure be a hoot to read of your exploits in that LE competition.

"I'm not even sure if they would allow it, but I really want to give it a try."

Could it even be possible that your neato Ruger .44 would be discriminated against for the unspoken reason that it might be a bit embarrassing for a single action revolver to make a good showing against all the "latest and greatest" "tactically imperative" pistols and gear?

OOOooo...it's a conspiracy theory.

·
Registered
21,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bryan, I'm thinking that in the bylaws of the association they may have a " duty weapon" clause that would include revolvers used by retirees.

There's one ol gal long retired that attends the Dept of Justice Training shoot that uses an M10 and 64 that always makes a good showing.

The SAA design may not be " current" enough to squeak by the rule. But I'll see.
Maybe I can get the wife to take some pics of the event to post here.

Right now for holster I plan on using a Bianchi " Lawman" matched to a Bianchi belt, both have seen their time of use.

But I can tell ya right now, the ol thumb buster and Colt 1911 have taken over my carry needs and requirements.
But if I was really serious about winning, I'd just take the Colt 1911.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Even if you don't win you just might make the "modern" gun guys stand up and take notice. About the time I left private security I thought about doing the same on our qualification course just for the fun of it. I never got the chance, don't let a good oportunity pass you by.

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
Do it! I love when guys do stuff like that in our competitions. Keeps things a little more interesting.

·
Registered
16,031 Posts
I think you should do it. You may surprise yourself on your reloads, too bad you don't have an extra cylinder. I once shot a shotgun match with a pistol grip 870..... Did ok until I had to hit with slugs at 50 yards.....

·
Premium Member
13,765 Posts
I say go for it, I love running a revolver.

I'd do it for no more than the grin factor

·
Premium Member
7,578 Posts
Even if they can't officially score it, see if they will let you run the course off the books.

And try to shoot some video! I think we would all love to see it.

Reactions: OD*
1 - 18 of 18 Posts