Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been looking for a smaller sized revolver in order to substantiate my glock 43x. Im planning on using the 43x for winter carry / when I have more than a t shirt on, and I'm looking for something that has almost 0 printing, and may possibly be pocket able. I'm in a college town at a left leaning college, so I don't think my classmates will like seeing me out around town with some printing going on. I have my ccw and everything, its just I don't want to cause issues. So I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the Rock Island Armory m206, and if it was concealable at all (preferably appendix carry.) I'm still in college, so there is a budget constraint going on, hence why I'm not really looking into the airweights.

Here's a link to the gun. https://armscor.com/firearms/ria/revolver-series/m206-spurless-matte-nickle-38-special/ You can get them around 250$, I don't know why this site lists them as so much more.

Sadly my campus is not a ccw supporting campus (Liberty university next door is) so all I can bring there is a 3 inch knife and some pepper spray. :mad:

The gun would be for out around town, there were just a few armed robberies in the last month, and a shooting in the parking lot of the walmart I frequent 2 months back. Dont know what has going on there, but its better to be prepared.

Or if there are any good snubbies that I've missed that are under or around the 300$ price range, that would be awesome if you could mention them. I'm a fan of the lcr, but the starting price is just a bit up there.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
I only know what I’ve seen on the web. People say they are ok. I’m thinking maybe heavy for a pocket if you needed to go that way. Charter Arms are lighter. Just a thought. Good luck.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Checked them out a while ago @ a store. They had 2 of them there and one had decent lockup/timing, the other was horrible. Don't know if it varies from unit to unit or not. Maybe I handled a lemon.
I liked the price and two grips included. As far as that size gun (steel framed snub) I carried a sp101 a lot appendix and strongside and either place its really concealed. Pocket carry gets awkward due to weight.
If price and max concealment was my goal a LCP would be on my shortlist. Can be found < $225 all day long new and sometimes cheaper used. Easy to pocket carry or carry iwb or owb and will basically disappear either place.

Sent from my LGL164VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
For me that's too big for all day every day pocket carry. Unfortunately the "air weight" j frames or LCR revolvers in the 13-15 ounce range are about as heavy as I've found practical for all day every day pocket carry. If you're looking for an easy to pocket carry firearm for less than 300 bucks, you can find some .380 micro auto's for less than that. I bought a Beretta pico .380 for at work pocket carry for 278 bucks, from time to time you find them for around 200.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the sugguestions. Ive been looking at the lcps, and I really like them, expecially the lcp custom, its just that I hear alot of issues about if your grip is off slightly, the gun has a much higher chance of malfunctioning. I have fairly large hands, and I feel as though in a stressfull situation, there may be a bit more fumbling than I would be comforable with. Revolvers can be held anways and go bang when the trigger is pulled, thats sort of the allure for me. Also, I do enjoy myself some wheelguns.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I would point out that a Glock 43 (non-x) is smaller in all dimensions and lighter than that revolver. And if you're already shooting a 43x, the 43 is essentially the same. The Glock stock holds one more round, and there are a lot of easy, reliable options to get another round or two, still being shorter than the revolver. I might be inclined to swap the x for the non-x, and maybe get a 19 (if you want to stay in Glockworld) to go with it for less problematic dress situations.

As far as the bigger issue I would not sweat the printing issue to much. Most people would never notice even a pretty obvious print, especially non-gun people.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Or if there are any good snubbies that I've missed that are under or around the 300$ price range, that would be awesome if you could mention them. I'm a fan of the lcr, but the starting price is just a bit up there.
As a guy who pocket carries a 38 snub daily, I highly recommend the S&W 642 or its twin, the 442. Lightweight, compact, able to handle potent +P ammo. Just about the perfect pocket revolver. Be sure to get a good pocket holster for carry purposes. My favorite is made by Robert Mika.

·
Registered
5,912 Posts
The LCP is purpose designed as a discrete pocket carry CCW. My cell phone "prints" much more than my LCP in its Nemesis pocket holster. I have an older Colt Cobra that is about the same size as the Rock Island and it is very noticeable when pocket carried. The LCP is also below your price point! Just my .02 worth!

Reactions: Wavygravy

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
The LCP is purpose designed as a discrete pocket carry CCW. My cell phone "prints" much more than my LCP in its Nemesis pocket holster. I have an older Colt Cobra that is about the same size as the Rock Island and it is very noticeable when pocket carried. The LCP is also below your price point! Just my .02 worth!
+2 here. The LCP or LCPII is the only truly discrete pocket carry (front or rear pockets) I've tried. The Beretta Pico would be another option. No snubbie is going to conceal as easily imo.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I'd recommend against a RIA/Armscor M206.

I "accidentally" won one on Gunbroker. Placed a low bid and forgot about it until I got the email saying I'd won it. They are not a refined revolver and fairly heavy but you do get 6 shots. I put 200 of my reloads through it with no troubles. Accuracy was ok and it felt fine in my hand.

Then, one night while dry firing everything locked up. Low and behold the transfer bar had snapped in half relegating it to paperweight status. I contacted customer service and got it shipped back to them and in a decent amount of time (sorry don't remember specifics) I got it back and it was repaired. But I had lost all confidence in the gun, never shot it again and sold it to a guy on Armslist.

Go for an LCP, S&W J frame or Ruger LCR and not only will you have a lighter easier to conceal gun but you'l have a far superior gun.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
WOW there are so many other choice for pocket carry One of my daughters carried a charter arms 12oz ultra lite in 38sp but moved to a cw9 kahr in iwb . I have a cm9 that is a pocket size pistol I carried at work for years too but its your choice . Might want to look for a used s&w airweight snubby if dollars are you other concern along with a revolver only .

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
I held one m206 in my hands, and it was by far the worst revolver I have ever handled. Lock-up was atrocious, trigger was heavy, felt like it was finished with a ball peen hammer. I love cheap guns and Rock Island, but I would not trust my life to a Armscor revolver.

If you really want a cheap 6 shot 38 SPL revolver and not an auto (I carry revolvers frequently), I'd look at Charter Arms Police Undercover. I have a Bulldog which is the same frame and it is only slightly larger than a J frame.

For absolute maximum concealment where you don't want to drop down to .380, I'd get a belly band. You can try it with your 43x, it should be pretty invisible.

·
Registered
6,783 Posts
I don't know about current pricing, but several of us carry the S&W Bodyguard 380 as a pocket / backup gun. I have had zero issues and in fact, Mrs. OldChap and I both shoot it as well as any pistol we have out to 25 yards. It is impressive. IMHO it is just as good as the Sig 938 my daughter owns and about 1/3 the price. Here is one for $269:

https://palmettostatearmory.com/smith-wesson-bodyguard-380-without-laser-109381.html

Rock Island is made in the Philippines. I'm told that their quality is good on more expensive 1911 type guns, but a little hit or miss on less expensive ones.

Reactions: drmordo and Pete63

·
Registered
453 Posts
If the OP wants a cheap, off brand 6-shot revolver, the Taurus 856 also plays. Available in an aluminum frame and bobbed hammer for lighter weight and better concealment. Of course, this is going to bring out the standard chorus of Taurus hatred.

Having said that, I still think a smaller 9mm auto makes more sense.

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
So I've been looking for a smaller sized revolver in order to substantiate my glock 43x. Im planning on using the 43x for winter carry / when I have more than a t shirt on, and I'm looking for something that has almost 0 printing, and may possibly be pocket able. I'm in a college town at a left leaning college, so I don't think my classmates will like seeing me out around town with some printing going on. I have my ccw and everything, its just I don't want to cause issues. So I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the Rock Island Armory m206, and if it was concealable at all (preferably appendix carry.) I'm still in college, so there is a budget constraint going on, hence why I'm not really looking into the airweights.

Here's a link to the gun. https://armscor.com/firearms/ria/revolver-series/m206-spurless-matte-nickle-38-special/ You can get them around 250$, I don't know why this site lists them as so much more.

Sadly my campus is not a ccw supporting campus (Liberty university next door is) so all I can bring there is a 3 inch knife and some pepper spray. :mad:

The gun would be for out around town, there were just a few armed robberies in the last month, and a shooting in the parking lot of the walmart I frequent 2 months back. Dont know what has going on there, but its better to be prepared.

Go with a J frame 5 shot LW 38. The RIA is a 6 shot and all steel [ heavier and larger for pocket carry ].

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have several snub nosed revolvers including some that are approximately the size of the Armscor M206 (S&W model 10, Model 15 snubs, Rossi 461 snub).

The only snub noses that I routinely pocket carry are J frames.
My favorite is my 642 Airweight in 38 sp. +p
The others are fun to shoot but they’re heavy for pocket carry.

I would look for one used, or a Ruger LCR for pocket carry.

Lots of folks suggesting small semi autos. I have an LCP, Sig P238, Beretta Tomcat, Walter Ppk, Keltec P32 and a Seecamp In 32.

I love them all but I carry the frame revolver the most. It is by far the most reliable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
323 Posts
Used J frame Airweight, or maybe a new Charter Arms. No experience with RIA cylinder guns, other than holding them in a shop. They struck me as a little too rough, for me to be confident in......

1 - 20 of 27 Posts