Defensive Carry banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I am going to buy a Walther PPS in 9mm as my new EDC gun. Anyone have any experiences (good or bad) with these? This is the model I want:

·
Super Moderator
50,610 Posts
If you really like it, then buy it...whatever calls your name while in the gun shop.
However, if you're asking...I believe that there are far better choices for an EDC. Walthers do not have the quality that they were once known for, IMHO.
1911's, Glocks, Sigs, etc...:yup::wave:

·
Registered
672 Posts
The Walthers built by S&W don't have the rep they used to. The German Made PPS is a great gun and I carry it from time to time.

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
Nice pistol for sure. I checked one out when I was looking for a 9mm. I ended up going with the Kahr CW9 only for the trigger on the kahr, but other than that I liked the Walther. I really liked how thin it was and if the Kahr would've been much thicker in that area, I'd be carrying the Walther today. The price of the Kahr was a good selling point too, I have to admit. :hand10:

·
Registered
563 Posts
The Walthers built by S&W don't have the rep they used to. The German Made PPS is a great gun and I carry it from time to time.
Actually they are German made. Check the left side right below the slide, it says Carl Walther, Made in Germany. S&W is merely the US distributor and handles warranty issues. Any S&W owners know they stand by the weapons they sell. I own the 9mm and have probably 800 rounds or more with zero issues. Check out the Walther PPS forums and see the love owners have for them.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Love mine. It's incredibly comfortable and it vanishes in my CompTac C-Tac holster. I actually love the magazine release, but that's probably because I'm not as experienced a gun user as others, therefore I'm not as used to a standard release. The magazines are obscenely expensive.

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
What is it with the Glock look-alike triggers? My apologies. That looks like a sweet pistol.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
VERY Nice. I've held and dry fired one. Really thin. Good feel to trigger. Congrats.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
What is it with the Glock look-alike triggers? My apologies. That looks like a sweet pistol.
not many ways you can make a passive trigger safety.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I have this exact gun and it is a wonderful carry gun. It disappears in any clothing and it is great to shoot too. I like having the different backstraps, the small works better for me but my sons do better with the large. We all agree it shoots a lot like a Glock. Now that the weather has cooled in the south I am carrying the Glock more again, but the PPS is my go to carry gun for hot weather, and for when I wear a skirt or dress. <not that that would be anything you'r eworried about LOL

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have a couple of issues with the PPS which caused me to buy a Kahr PM9 instead. One, I don't like the magazine release; I have a dozen other pistols with the "standard" magazine release and I just did not want another technique introduced into my carry methods. Second, if I recall correctly the backstrap attaches with a plastic part that would render the gun inoperable if it fails. I'm working from memory here, but I recall that when I inspected the backstrap assembly I ruled the gun out on that issue alone. People have had issues with the PM9, but mine has been 100% reliable out of the box. In the end, buy the gun with which you are most comfortable and, if you can shoot before you buy, proficient.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I have two of them. A 9mm that is my wife's EDC and a 40 S&W that I carry on occasion. They are both excellent firearms and have never had any failure with either of them. As others have already said, these are true German made Walthers. And, as others have said, I'm not crazy about the mag release but it isn't a deal breaker for me and my wife loves it. Excellent choice for a carry gun.

Hoss

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I have mentioned before that I have some HKs with the same type of mag release. A big HK fan explained that if you just rotate your hand slightly and push BOTH paddles with the thumb and trigger finger it drops smootly with very little pressure.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts