Defensive Carry banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What I want to know is how did he manage to get his hands on the gun.

Florida third grader called a 'hero' for preventing possible school shooting

A Florida third grader is being called a hero for possibly preventing a school shooting after he reported a classmate who brought a loaded gun to school on Thursday.

Eight-year-old Blake Johnson was in the boy's bathroom at Hudson Elementary School in Hudson, Fla., when another student showed him a loaded 9 mm pistol that he pulled from his backpack.

"He pulled it out, like, and pointed it at the wall," Johnson told WFLA. "He said 'If you tell,' he'll kill me."
https://www.foxnews.com/us/florida-3rd-grader-called-hero-preventing-possible-school-shooting

·
Banned
2,103 Posts
Whoever allowed that gun to be accessible by the boy ought to be punished with a lot more than a lecture or tiny fine. That person is irresponsible in a deadly way.

·
Registered
34,024 Posts
FL law requires firearms to be secured from just such access. It's rarely enforced until after something like this happens. But such access happens in every state--unless you think every gun owner in your state is a shining exception.

·
Premium Member
2,229 Posts
And it goes to show how ineffective GFZ laws are.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
My wife had to take a revolver away from one of her second graders. He brought it to school in his backpack and kept it in his cubby.
He wanted it for show and tell. The kid was a loner and just wanted friends.
Long story short, parents called, kid got some help and attention. no harm to anyone. I know he went on to play football in high school and college. Of course, this was in the early 90’s.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
WOW!!

Good job by the whistleblower!!

Reactions: OD*

·
Registered
4,113 Posts
The kid did a good job and should be recognized for his actions. That said, I consider it a little dramatic to suggest that the 8 year old had any intent or plan to do harm. Unless there is more information which has not been shared.. its just a case of adult irresponsibility and a kid doing kid stuff with something he should have never had unsupervised access to. The Kid should be punished, the adult owner of the weapon should be punished and people should go on with their business. If there is evidence that the kid intended to cause harm, that is a totally different issue altogether. As it stands today ( right now), I don't believe its that at all.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Whoever allowed that gun to be accessible by the boy ought to be punished with a lot more than a lecture or tiny fine. That person is irresponsible in a deadly way.
Absolutely!

It's all on the adults. At 8 years old the kid has probably never been taught anything about never touching a gun. Quite the opposite he's probably seen adults handling them improperly in his home.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
When it comes to children, it is not about trusting them, it is about accepting that their brains are not fully developed and as such are subject to making errors of judgement, even when raised "right", by loving responsible parents. Which is why adults should be held accountable for not ensuring that guns are inaccessible to them.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
And it goes to show how ineffective GFZ laws are.
Lmao it's an 8 year old and your bringing up gfz laws. Kids probably still wetting his bed and your wanting to turn it political. But your probably right if the Adults could carry on campus they could have gunned him down in the bathroom and taught all the other 8 year olds a lesson.

·
Premium Member
2,229 Posts
Lmao it's an 8 year old and your bringing up gfz laws. Kids probably still wetting his bed and your wanting to turn it political. But your probably right if the Adults could carry on campus they could have gunned him down in the bathroom and taught all the other 8 year olds a lesson.
Huh?

Reactions: Rabbit212

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
Well, it is a gun-free-zone and it didn't stop him from bringing in a gun. That's just a fact.

Are you implying that the staff would gun him down just for having the piece even though he apparently wasn't trying to use it? That sounds rather hyperbolic to me.

Reactions: Rabbit212

·
Premium Member
2,229 Posts
Were you not implying that the school being a GFZ did nothing to stop an 8 year old from bringing a gun to the school??
Or anyone else.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Well, it is a gun-free-zone and it didn't stop him from bringing in a gun. That's just a fact.

Are you implying that the staff would gun him down just for having the piece even though he apparently wasn't trying to use it? That sounds rather hyperbolic to me.
It was meant to be same as calling out an 8 year old for not following the gfz laws.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Odds are the family of the kid who brought the gun in are less than stellar role models. While we have not had guns brought in by children of criminals, we have had other various less lethal weapons brought in. Knives mostly. This story isn't as uncommon as some would think. It's not at all common outside of the large inner city ghettos. Work in the educational sector and you see/hear things over time.

The good news is that no one got hurt. Will any lessons be learned? Highly doubtful.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts