Defensive Carry banner

This can happen to you so make the necessary changes.

2K views 18 replies 18 participants last post by  Riana 
#1 ·
GPS
A couple of weeks ago a friend told me that someone she knew had
their car broken into while they were at a football game. Their car was
parked on the green which was adjacent to the football stadium and
specially allotted to football fans. Things stolen from the car included
a garage door remote control, some money and a GPS which had been
prominently mounted on the dashboard.

When the victims got home, they found that their house had been
ransacked and just about everything worth anything had been stolen.

The thieves had used the GPS to guide them to the house. They then
used the garage remote control to open the garage door and gain
entry to the house. The thieves knew the owners were at the football
game, they knew what time the game was scheduled to finish and so
they knew how much time they had to clean out the house. It would
appear that they had brought a truck to empty the house of its contents.

Something to consider if you have a GPS - don't put your home
address in it. Put a nearby address (like a store or gas station) so you
can still find your way home if you need to, but no one else would know
where you live if your GPS were stolen.

MOBILE PHONES
I never thought of this.......

This lady has now changed her habit of how she lists her names on
her mobile phone after her handbag was stolen. Her handbag, which
contained her cell phone, credit card, wallet... Etc...was stolen.

20 minutes later when she called her hubby, from a pay phone telling
him what had happened, hubby says 'I received your text asking
about our Pin number and I've replied a little while ago.'

When they rushed down to the bank, the bank staff told them all the
money was already withdrawn. The thief had actually used the stolen
cell phone to text 'hubby' in the contact list and got hold of the pin
number. Within 20 minutes he had withdrawn all the money from their
bank account.

Moral of the lesson:
Do not disclose the relationship between you and the people in
your contact list.

Avoid using names like Home, Honey, Hubby, Sweetheart, Dad,
Mom, etc....

And very importantly, when sensitive info is being asked through texts,
CONFIRM by calling back.

Also, when you're being text by friends or family to meet them
somewhere, be sure to call back to confirm that the message came
from them. If you don't reach them, be very careful about going places
to meet 'family and friends' who text you.

See less See more
#5 ·
Something to consider if you have a GPS - don't put your home
address in it. Put a nearby address (like a store or gas station) so you
can still find your way home if you need to, but no one else would know where you live if your GPS were stolen.
:hand10: Great advice, I never even thought about that.

#6 ·
#9 ·
As to the cell phone issue, alot of people are now using I.C.E. (in case of emergency) as a contact. That may also give away a loved ones information. Good post.

#14 ·
That could be a HIPAA violation, which will give you a BIG FINE from the Feds.

IMHE Searching through the cell phone is an afterthought, and done less than one percent of the time. Most of my patients are not incapacitated to the point of not being able to communicate.

If they are unresponsive, I have more important things to do than chit chat with their BFFs. If they are dead, they'll still be dead tomorrow.

#12 ·
I would have never thought about that! Of course, my wife has GPS mounted on windshileld 12 inches away from garage doot opener. Thanks! Good idea putting close-by address as "home". Usually, after 15 years, when I get within a thousand feet of my home (from any direction!) I can manage the rest unaided by the TomTom.:king:

#13 ·
This is why I do NOT have any identifiable information inside my car, when I exit my car. Oregon driver's licenses have the home address on them, as do the automobile registration papers and proof of car insurance. Good point, regarding GPS.

Think about modern phones, as well, ie, a BlackBerry. I've never been willing to store my own name/phone/addr in there, particularly with phones coming with GPS and other features that can help give away the "keys."

Be cautions of anything that:
  • Tells a criminal where you live; and
  • Tells a criminal that you're not there at this moment.
So long as you avoid doing those two things simultaneously, you're generally fine unless they clop you upside the head and take your papers.

* One of the reasons I enjoyed California was for the paperwork. CA driver's licenses only had to have truthful addressing, but it did NOT have to be the home/physical address. Important distinction, if you lose the wallet or get mugged. Imagine what happens to spouse and kids at home, if you get mugged, with a criminal who knows (a) where you live and (b) that you're not there. Bad juju.

#15 ·
GPS 20 minutes later when she called her hubby, from a pay phone telling him what had happened, hubby says 'I received your text asking about our Pin number and I've replied a little while ago.' When they rushed down to the bank, the bank staff told them all the money was already withdrawn. The thief had actually used the stolen cell phone to text 'hubby' in the contact list and got hold of the pin number. Within 20 minutes he had withdrawn all the money from their bank account.
People who are sharing a bank account with a significant other, need to sit down and decide on a code word or something similar, for this type of situation.

Something that neither one would forget, and wouldn't have to write down---anniversary date, dog's name etc. Don't use a birth date or anything else that would appear on a stolen driver's license etc.

#19 ·
I was messing with our new GPS the other day. I think it has "Home" as the local bowling alley. :rofl:

Our GPS got swiped out of the van, but it was actually in the driveway at the time, so if they can't figure out where I live, then, well, they're stupider than they look. :danceban:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.