Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8,151 Posts
Serving a warrant, with force, on the wrong address IMHO is unforgivable. Mistakes get made, but that shouldn't ever be one of them. How hard is it to double and triple check an address?

When I was growing up in St. Louis in the late 60's SLPD plainclothes officers served a no knock warrant in the middle of the night on the wrong house in the West End. They were looking for a notorious black drug dealer. When they busted in the door, it awakened the old white guy who lived there. He came to the top of the stairs with a single shot black powder pistol. The cops riddled him with bullets, killing him. No cops got fired or prosecuted. It was like, "Whoopsie! Mistakes happen."

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Serving a warrant, with force, on the wrong address IMHO is unforgivable. Mistakes get made, but that shouldn't ever be one of them. How hard is it to double and triple check an address?
That's what I just can NOT understand.

Aren't these SWAT or other "no knock" guys required to be literate?

How hard is it to get to the right address, especially in this age of cell phones with map functions?

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
It has gone South in Louisville and Houston:

No Knock warrant in the middle of the night. None of the officers had body cameras. Kill the woman in her bed with 8 shots. Boyfriend starts shooting as they are trying to breakdown door, he's charged with attempted murder of the cops. Witnesses say the plainclothes cops never said they were the Police.

I don't like No Knock warrants.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/05/13/breonna-taylor-not-target-louisville-police-investigation-when-shot/5181690002/

In Houston: Botched raid on Harding Street, fabricated evidence, dirty cops, no-knock warrants. The husband and wife were murdered when the cops broke into the house like home invaders.
https://abc13.com/harding-street-raid-botched-hpd/5885310/

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
I don’t even see a warrant mentioned. It looks like a corrections officer and a bunch of redneck cop wannabees took matters into their own hands. The deputies that eventually showed up were professional.

I’m pleased to see how their neighbors closed around the family.

·
Premium Member
4,373 Posts
Lawsuit.

Reactions: The Old Anglo

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not to be rude but did some of y'all even read the article?? Was a corrections officer and a bunch of Yahoo's not LEO serving any kind of warrant. Other articles say the corrections officer was "familial" with the missing teen whatever that means.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I worry more about no knocks or ID foul ups than I do about criminals. As i scrupulously avoid criminal behavior and elements I don't have any experience with them or expectation that they should occur to me. Being accosted unawares is dangerous. I expect criminals to be, well criminal, and are on the watch for that.
Luckily I live in a rural area.
But one never knows about being swatted or such.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
No warrant, outside of their jurisdiction, wrong house, sounds like a real class act.
Sarcasm off.

I could very easily see that situation going bad. Sounds like Mom had her head screwed on straight.
Sad that she has to have that thought process though.I
Good to see she has legal representation from the very start. This could be carried out for quite a while. Having a good lawyer to keep the pressure on will help keep it from being swept away.

Loss of his job and any licensure/certification to serve in LE should be a given in this case.
Misdemeanor charges don't seem appropriate for the situation, but I am not versed in the law enough to make that call.
Terroristic threat might be applicable though IMO.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
What happened to good old fashioned investigations?

Investigations where the Detectives have spent time casing the location and know EXACTLY who comes and goes from the residence?

Investigations where the Detectives already have enough to charge to suspect with a crime BEFORE they arrest them?

Investigations where the Police have such good information they do not have to knock down doors because they know they can arrest the guy when he goes out each morning to get his gal a Latte?

The Police need to start doing real investigations again.

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
This, plus the Georgia incident with the retired state's attorney inspector. These good ol boys need to be better witnesses. The vigilante posse was never a good idea.

·
Registered
609 Posts
"...Right now, as a black man, you have to be very careful how you move. You cannot come off as a threat."

Me, as a white man, coming off as a threat is perfectly acceptable

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
"...Right now, as a black man, you have to be very careful how you move. You cannot come off as a threat."

Me, as a white man, coming off as a threat is perfectly acceptable
Of course not. Your a white dude nobody takes you seriously as a threat.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts