Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today I decided I have done enough shooting on the move practice, and thought I would work on something I had not done much of, which is stand and deliver rapid fire.

The airweight is a bear to control shooting this fast, which was literally as fast as I could pull the trigger. I did not time it, but I wouldn’t be surprised if I emptied the cylinder in not much over a second or at least 1.5 seconds.
In short, I was shooting beyond my proficiency level.

Instead of CQB, which I consider to be 3 yards or less, I opted for 8 yards. The reason I chose that distance, is because it’s far enough to be challenging, and is a distance that I would probably use a support hand.

Now, I found it extremely challenging, because I was going way faster than my ability to keep up with the front sight between shots, and too fast to see the impacts, but I could hear the steel ring.
My first cylinder was going well, until the last shot, where I didn’t hear the steel ring. I guess I walked it off target.

My second attempt was better, but I only fired three shots in this manner from the draw, and used the last two for longer distance slower fire confidence boosters.

I really don’t believe that going that fast with so many rounds fired is really called for in the real world, but the experience is good, at least I believe to demonstrate how much control you have over trigger pull. It really challenges that aspect and recoil management.
Actually, I surprised myself at how often I was connecting at that speed; it was basically all I could do to keep the muzzle pointed at the steel.
And it is a reduced silhouette size.

Here is my target with 9 hits up close, and another pic of it from my view.
Plant Trunk Glove Grass Headgear

Plant Sky Plant community Cloud Natural environment

Did anyone else get any work in today? If so, what was your focus?

·
Registered
46,196 Posts
Closest I got to shooting was checking MidwayUSA for bullets. Struck out again.

Reactions: APX-9M and G-man*

·
Registered
21,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Closest I got to shooting was checking MidwayUSA for bullets. Struck out again.
Yeah, it’s tough to find some stuff. I just ordered another 1000 lead bullets, which should do me for awhile.

·
Registered
8,184 Posts
Today I decided I have done enough shooting on the move practice, and thought I would work on something I had not done much of, which is stand and deliver rapid fire.

The airweight is a bear to control shooting this fast, which was literally as fast as I could pull the trigger. I did not time it, but I wouldn’t be surprised if I emptied the cylinder in not much over a second or at least 1.5 seconds.
In short, I was shooting beyond my proficiency level.

Instead of CQB, which I consider to be 3 yards or less, I opted for 8 yards. The reason I chose that distance, is because it’s far enough to be challenging, and is a distance that I would probably use a support hand.

Now, I found it extremely challenging, because I was going way faster than my ability to keep up with the front sight between shots, and too fast to see the impacts, but I could hear the steel ring.
My first cylinder was going well, until the last shot, where I didn’t hear the steel ring. I guess I walked it off target.

My second attempt was better, but I only fired three shots in this manner from the draw, and used the last two for longer distance slower fire confidence boosters.

I really don’t believe that going that fast with so many rounds fired is really called for in the real world, but the experience is good, at least I believe to demonstrate how much control you have over trigger pull. It really challenges that aspect and recoil management.
Actually, I surprised myself at how often I was connecting at that speed; it was basically all I could do to keep the muzzle pointed at the steel.
And it is a reduced silhouette size.

Here is my target with 9 hits up close, and another pic of it from my view.
View attachment 368041
View attachment 368042

Did anyone else get any work in today? If so, what was your focus?
Well, I was trying to reach around a new bidet attachment a customer just HAD to self-install BEFORE he discovered his water cutoff needed replacement...that took a lot of focus.

Oh, I know what you mean...no...nothing as fun as what you did. You know, the Creator tied the neural knots between brain, muscles, and eyes pretty well. You will often surprise yourself by just looking at the target, pointing the gun, and blasting away, like today. You'll be more often amazed at the hits than dismayed by the misses. Thanks for sharing your fun with us!

·
Registered
21,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think the j frames were made for fast shooting and they do that best with a strong stock return spring vs a lightened up trigger job. I think in fast shooting I naturally do more of a crush grip which keeps it on target better.
Yes, you really have to crush the grip to keep it anywhere near on target shooting that fast.

I wish I had more daylight left so I could run the M64 on that drill.

·
Registered
8,154 Posts
Yes, you really have to crush the grip to keep it anywhere near on target shooting that fast.

I wish I had more daylight left so I could run the M64 on that drill.
Oh come on, you have a range in your yard. There is always tomorrow... or low light. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
5,751 Posts
I went to the range yesterday.
Glasses fuzz my front sight, some sights are more affected than others.
Indoor lighting there in combination with the glasses adds to it.
Target was about 7-8 yards.
I'd load/shoot 10 round, either shoot all 10 quick or double taps.
I was shooting as quick as I could keeping hits on circles, half second split approximate.
Top left Glock 19 with red XD front, was most glare / fuzz - I thought something was on the sight.
Glock 19 with yellow XD front was better, top right.
Glock 23 with 357 Sig barrel & XS Big Dots surprised me, easy to see & hit with. Bottom left.
Glock 22 with TruGlo TFO felt like a 9mm after the 23 with 357 Sig barrel. Bottom right.
Glock 19 with red XD front only 10 rounds and I was done with it, the others were 30 rounds each.
100 rounds and I was out of there before anyone else arrived to shoot.
Plant Automotive lighting Font Art Circle

·
Registered
21,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I went to the range yesterday.
Glasses fuzz my front sight, some sights are more affected than others.
Indoor lighting there in combination with the glasses adds to it.
Target was about 7-8 yards.
I'd load/shoot 10 round, either shoot all 10 quick or double taps.
I was shooting as quick as I could keeping hits on circles, half second split approximate.
Top left Glock 19 with red XD front, was most glare / fuzz - I thought something was on the sight.
Glock 19 with yellow XD front was better, top right.
Glock 23 with 357 Sig barrel & XS Big Dots surprised me, easy to see & hit with. Bottom left.
Glock 22 with TruGlo TFO felt like a 9mm after the 23 with 357 Sig barrel. Bottom right.
Glock 19 with red XD front only 10 rounds and I was done with it, the others were 30 rounds each.
100 rounds and I was out of there before anyone else arrived to shoot.
View attachment 368051
Very good!
My glasses jack my shooting up also, which is why I either look over the top, or don’t wear them at all.

I dont really need them except for reading anyway, but they do bring a little clarity at distance too.

·
Premium Member
39,513 Posts
Nice workout-G-man. One sentence in your post really stuck out, and echoes my overall training philosophy, particularly in this time of high prices and long-term supply uncertainty:

"In short, I was shooting beyond my proficiency level."

That's were I spend the overwhelming bulk of my training time these days. Fast draw, fast splits at ranges generally regarded as typical were things I worked out awhile ago, and are things I can stay proficient at through dry practice. Drills in which I miss some are ones I can improve on.

I fired four rounds at the steel yesterday, all from seventy-five yards. Two hits. All done for the day. Maybe I'll go three for four today...

·
Registered
21,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice workout-G-man. One sentence in your post really stuck out, and echoes my overall training philosophy, particularly in this time of high prices and long-term supply uncertainty:

"In short, I was shooting beyond my proficiency level."

That's were I spend the overwhelming bulk of my training time these days. Fast draw, fast splits at ranges generally regarded as typical were things I worked out awhile ago, and are things I can stay proficient at through dry practice. Drills in which I miss some are ones I can improve on.

I fired four rounds at the steel yesterday, all from seventy-five yards. Two hits. All done for the day. Maybe I'll go three for four today...
My feeling is that if you are always happy with your results, you are not pushing yourself enough.
And many times I don’t. It is very easy to allow gratification to keep you in one place.

·
Registered
46,196 Posts
It's hard to get ahead when one remains behind.

Reactions: G-man*

·
Registered
5,751 Posts
Very good!
My glasses jack my shooting up also, which is why I either look over the top, or don’t wear them at all.

I dont really need them except for reading anyway, but they do bring a little clarity at distance too.
I'm a bit nearsighted, mainly use glasses for driving & shopping (signs above isles).
I can see any front sight just fine without glasses.
If wearing glasses, ideally, I'll put them on top of my head if I ever need to defend myself. :LOL:

Reactions: G-man*

·
Registered
21,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm a bit nearsighted, mainly use glasses for driving & shopping (signs above isles).
I can see any front sight just fine without glasses.
If wearing glasses, ideally, I'll put them on top of my head if I ever need to defend myself. :LOL:
Im thinking of just getting me a pair of readers and carrying them around in my pocket, or like you said, on my head😂

·
Premium Member
2,606 Posts
I gotta wear my coke-bottle glasses every waking minute, and I only use one of the durn lenses. What really makes me mad -- even though I only have one eye, they charge me full price for the two lenses. Shouldn't it be half price, fer Cripessake?

·
Registered
21,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I gotta wear my coke-bottle glasses every waking minute, and I only use one of the durn lenses. What really makes me mad -- even though I only have one eye, they charge me full price for the two lenses. Shouldn't it be half price, fer Cripessake?
Get ya one of them single lenses like the Planters Peanut guy😂

• Haha
Reactions: Wavygravy

·
Registered
474 Posts
This week the temperature dropped into the high 20s one night. The next morning skies were clear with a temperature in the low 30s with a light breeze. I used the occasion to practice drawing from AIWB and firing two or three rounds while wearing a variety of winter jackets and coats. It was the first time I had worn a true outer garment since March. Predictably, I was very slow and my presentation felt awkward.

Fortunately, I can walk about 75 yards to a range complex on my own property so additional practice will continue with little inconvenience. Tomorrow rain is expected so I will definitely be out there with a raincoat and under layer testing my readiness before Thanksgiving guests arrive

I have enjoyed reading what other forum members are currently practicing.

·
Registered
21,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This week the temperature dropped into the high 20s one night. The next morning skies were clear with a temperature in the low 30s with a light breeze. I used the occasion to practice drawing from AIWB and firing two or three rounds while wearing a variety of winter jackets and coats. It was the first time I had worn a true outer garment since March. Predictably, I was very slow and my presentation felt awkward.

Fortunately, I can walk about 75 yards to a range complex on my own property so additional practice will continue with little inconvenience. Tomorrow rain is expected so I will definitely be out there with a raincoat and under layer testing my readiness before Thanksgiving guests arrive

That sounds like a great tune-up with some realism!

·
Premium Member
2,606 Posts

I practice with outer garmets a lot. Here in the high mountains of NC, I wear flannel shirts and jackets about 7 months a year. Once it gets really cold, I end up carrying in my parka pocket most of the time and shifting it over to pocket or IWB if I'm going to be somewhere indoors for a long time (I don't carry at home).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts