Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
41,511 Posts
I'm not volunteering to be the test dummy.

·
Registered
4,030 Posts
Interesting product . Bullet resistant like ar steel but with the weight of aluminum and has flexibility that could reduce damage in car impacts too .

·
Registered
11,171 Posts
I'm wondering if this is something like what has been in the Chobham armor of the M1 Abrams tank (and the British Challenger, Germen Leopard II, etc) for decades now. The exact composition is highly classified, but descriptions always talk about metal/ceramic composites, void spaces, layering, etc.

Very cool.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Definitely worth watching.

Reactions: AzQkr

·
Administrator
144,135 Posts
In the next 5 or so years we are going to see some mind boggling innovation screaming down the pike.

This product being one of them. We ARE in the new age of invention. :king:

·
Banned
5,171 Posts
Bear in mind that we're not talking about styrene or poly foam- that stuff is metal! The original story is actually a couple years old. Pretty cool stuff, definitely lighter than regular metal armor, but it is still basically steel.

Reactions: AzQkr

·
Banned
3,342 Posts
I'm dubious of some of the additional claims:
FOAM VS. NUCLEAR RADIATION

The team first produced a foam shield that could block radiation.

This foam is able to stop and block X-rays. In tests, it can even protect against various forms of gamma rays.

·
Banned
3,342 Posts
It's metal. Astronauts already use metal foil layers to protect themselves from those frequencies.
Uh, unlikely for gamma:
Gamma rays are high-energy waves that can travel at the speed of light and penetrate many substances, including metal. Gamma rays are used to treat cancer and to produce diagnostic images. A few inches of lead is enough to block gamma rays -- which is why you wear a lead apron when you get x-rays -- but at least 3 meters of concrete are needed to stop them. Again, the precise measurement depends on the dosage of radiation, and a Geiger counter is needed to gauge the exact radiation amount and thickness of materials needed to stop it.

·
Registered
10,306 Posts
Reactions: Nmuskier and OD*

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
Uh, unlikely for gamma:
I stand corrected. Have astronauts been frying from gamma radiation for 50 years? Luckily, their suits aren't made of 3' of concrete! :wink:

Plus, metallic foam will help prevent Hulk like accidents. Dr. Banner is jealous. :smile:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts