Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
One of my students from CA returned for more advanced training. He is quite proficient, having been instructed by Jeff Cooper, and being retired CA Hwy Patrol. Currently he is an attorney and has an avocado farm in southern CA. Recently, he was jogging in an upscale neighborhood at 1:30am, when the temperature had cooled to 85 degrees. He heard footsteps behind him. A young African-American man passed him by two paces, turned around in front of him, pointed a gun in his face and said “give me your money.” Our friend said he had no money. “Give me your wallet!” the BG demanded. At that point our friend appeared to comply, reached into his pocket, pulled out his S&W 360sc, and shot the BG. Because the BG had changed his focus to anticipating a wallet from a submissive victim, the sight of the 357 so surprised him that he just instinctively twisted his body away from the gun as he was being shot. He was only in “intimidation” mode. Our student was in a determined “firing” mode. In fact, the first thing that went through our friend’s mind when a gun was pushed into his face was ‘this is a dead man.’

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
Good for him, I hope the BG is takin a dirt nap! :yup:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Great News.One less BG..

·
Banned
5,252 Posts
This is a classic example, on the felonious felon's part, of an acute failure in the victim selection process.

It also shows that mindset is probably the most important internal characteristic you can have. Without the proper mindset even the best guns in the world, and all the training, are useless to you.

Biker

·
Registered
862 Posts

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
GOOD WORK, BATMAN!!!! One less BG scum we don't have to worry about....

·
Registered
134 Posts
Does anyone else think that drawing your gun when facing a BG with his gun already drawn and pointed at you might be a bad idea. Sure in ths case it worked out but if the BG was a little sharper it could have ended differently. When he saw your gun all he had to do was pull the trigger and BG wins. If a BG got the drop on me I would comply and hand over the wallet unless I became convinced he was going to shoot anyway. Then you have no choice.

·
Registered
921 Posts
At that point our friend appeared to comply, reached into his pocket, pulled out his S&W 360sc, and shot the BG.
Great outcome!

If he would have complied and not fought back... you may have lost a friend!

Kind of reminds me of...

Outlaw: "Just throw me your wallet…"

John Wayne: "Yes Sir, a little somethin’ extra…"

The Shootist 1976

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
The way it should be

·
Premium Member
10,046 Posts
There are no guarantee's when someone has the drop on you, but three things can help carry the day in such situations.

Offensive Mindset, Guts & Surprise!

When during a hold up, and they ask for your wallet, they are expecting movement out of you. That is your best opportunity to surprise them with something they're not expecting.

·
Premium Member
7,465 Posts
Per Bark'ns comment, this is one reason why I love carrying the LCP in a wallet holster in my back pocket. It's a BUG that can quite likely be the one that comes out first.

·
Premium Member
5,038 Posts
This is a classic example, on the felonious felon's part, of an acute failure in the victim selection process.
:yup:

Good job :congrats: student & teachers

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
The BG died as the result of a fatal mistake in victim selection. By the sound of it, there was GONNA' be a chalk-outline one way or another. I'm never encouraged by a deadly shooting. But if it's "them" or "us"...let's exercise every effort to make it THEM.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I understand your point....

Does anyone else think that drawing your gun when facing a BG with his gun already drawn and pointed at you might be a bad idea. Sure in ths case it worked out but if the BG was a little sharper it could have ended differently. When he saw your gun all he had to do was pull the trigger and BG wins. If a BG got the drop on me I would comply and hand over the wallet unless I became convinced he was going to shoot anyway. Then you have no choice.

However I think that a BG pointing a gun at me is the first step to killing me. I have no reason to think otherwise especially if I can see their face and make an identification. These people will kill you for a nickle so I must take whatever opportunity presents itself even if it is not perfect.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts