Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I just can't stand not knowing why I'm finding the media in my cases. I was looking at my shell holder and there was bits of media all through it.

I'm gonna do my usual thing and then look at a dozen or so of them with my borescope. I've already tried that and it looks like it will do the job! Of course, I'll probably get media all over the lens. 馃槃

Anyway, we'll see...

Registered
Borescope in a .223 case will work. I used mine to look for case web stretch. Didn't find any and concluded a bend paper clip was easier, faster, and probably just as reliable. Posted a pic to your other thread on this matter.

Registered
Media in cases:
Wet media--water, oil, grease, other glop added to "improve" cleaning
Fine nut powder packed in case
Wrong size--get 20/40 mesh

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Media in cases:
Been through all that.

The media is dry.
There is no water, oil, grease, or other glop added - I run dry media and no additives
Same media that @OldVet uses and it isn't packed. It simply appears to be somehow attached to the inside wall of the case. It's not a lot, but enough to change the case capacity.

What's a 20/40 mesh?

Registered
Whew! At first glance I read this that you had just dropped your vibrator!

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Media in cases:
However, while I don't add anything, and I know water is not getting into the cases, what if lube from the receiver is getting blown into the case when the gun is fired??? I do tend to lube a bit heavy and it is possible when the bolt opens lube vapor is getting blown into the case.

I don't see media in all cases, just in some. It could be the ones I find the media in, were the ones first fired and get the vapor and the later cases don't.

Registered

Registered
:oops:

Can鈥檛 say I鈥檝e heard a woman say that, and shocked that I just read a man saying that.

I鈥檒l leave now.

Have a nice day.

Registered
However, while I don't add anything, and I know water is not getting into the cases, what if lube from the receiver is getting blown into the case when the gun is fired??? I do tend to lube a bit heavy and it is possible when the bolt opens lube vapor is getting blown into the case.

I don't see media in all cases, just in some. It could be the ones I find the media in, were the ones first fired and get the vapor and the later cases don't.
Perhaps a mist is forming due to the bolt action during ejection and the cases are picking up some oil contamination when ejecting through the cloud of mist? Another take of the same issue, does this issue only occur with brass from the ARs or do you have the same issue with brass fired in the bolt action guns?

I wonder if your cases would still have problems with retained media if they were rinsed in warm, slightly soapy water and then run through the tumbler after a thorough drying?

Registered
Something that just crossed my mind. When you lube your brass, do you get lube inside the cases? Maybe from spray lube?

Registered
Something that just crossed my mind. When you lube your brass, do you get lube inside the cases? Maybe from spray lube?
I do in minute amounts, the little I use to lube every 3rd-4th neck during resizing. Nothing that ever clogs up the works.

Reactions: Havok

Registered
Been through all that.

The media is dry.
There is no water, oil, grease, or other glop added - I run dry media and no additives
Same media that @OldVet uses and it isn't packed. It simply appears to be somehow attached to the inside wall of the case. It's not a lot, but enough to change the case capacity.

What's a 20/40 mesh?
Something in the media or your cases is sticky.
Throw out all the nut hull media and get plain corn. If cases are too muddy for corn, soak in water and rinse off. Lowe's, home depot, Ace, Grainger, etc
Media is sorted by passing through screen mesh of varying "holes per inch." 20/40 means it passes a 20 hole/inch mesh and is retained on a 40 hole/inch mesh.
If you don't buy real media, you don't know what it is.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Something in the media or your cases is sticky.
Throw out all the nut hull media and get plain corn. If cases are too muddy for corn, soak in water and rinse off. Lowe's, home depot, Ace, Grainger, etc
Media is sorted by passing through screen mesh of varying "holes per inch." 20/40 means it passes a 20 hole/inch mesh and is retained on a 40 hole/inch mesh.
If you don't buy real media, you don't know what it is.
My cases are only dirty from firing, they never touch the ground.

I use the same media a lot of people use - walnut media. Several members have posted in this thread that they use walnut media and they aren't having the problem I am and there are lot of people on YouTube and other resources that use walnut media. The nut media isn't the problem, if it was the problem we would be hearing about it.

There's something going on that we haven't considered yet. When we find what it is, it won't be walnut media. That stuff is widely used in cleaning brass.

Registered
Let's start with basic questions. How do you lube your cases and with what? Sorry if previously mentioned, my memory is pretty crappy.

Reactions: demanic

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Let's start with basic questions. How do you lube your cases and with what? Sorry if previously mentioned, my memory is pretty crappy.
You know what they say about getting old don't you? There are three things that happen to us as we get old, one is we can't remember things and two and three are something....

I lube with Hornady One Shot spray, dry lube. I don't deprime before cleaning. I put the cases mouth down in a shallow case holder and spray them lightly from opposite sides. But that's after the cases have been cleaned.

Registered
You know what they say about getting old don't you? There are three things that happen to us as we get old, one is we can't remember things and two and three are something....

I lube with Hornady One Shot spray, dry lube. I don't deprime before cleaning. I put the cases mouth down in a shallow case holder and spray them lightly from opposite sides. But that's after the cases have been cleaned.
Okay, doesn't look like excess lube getting into them. I do deprime before resizing, but I do a quick tumbling before that to get soot/grit off. Necks are brushed after tumbling. I use Imperial sizing wax and get a little in about every 4-5 case mouth to lube the expander ball. What little media sticking I get is a few granules on the case mouth from the wax. The neck brush cleans it right out. So something else is causing some level of tackiness inside. Doesn't sound like humidity is high enough to be an issue. It doesn't seem to be here as dry as my media stays.

Reactions: Tangle

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
...So something else is causing some level of tackiness inside. Doesn't sound like humidity is high enough to be an issue. It doesn't seem to be here as dry as my media stays.
Agree.

What I'm seeing is dry granules coming out of cases. They don't seem to have a "lube" look or behavior to them. It's like once they're broken apart they are as dry as can be. I'm wondering if something is causing them to behave like they are lightly "water" glued together and they just break apart with the brush hits them???

Registered
Curiouser and curiouser.

Reactions: Tangle
1 - 20 of 30 Posts