Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as most of you have seen I'm very indecisive on what to choose here. Background on me: this is my first pistol. I plan to use it as a ccw, and home defense/target. I won't carry everyday as I just don't have the intention and I have college every day so can't really do that. I found 3 stores that have some stuff I like. I will be trading in a rifle I have and that will reduce the price a little. Here's the stores and guns as follows with prices:

Store A offered 225 (might be able to do 250 if I try) for my trade in:
Xds 9 NIB- 450
Xds 45 NIB- 490
Glock 27 gen 3 used 1 mag nothing else- 350
M&p 9c and 40c 2 mags and box- 425 each
Shield 9 NIB- 410
Glock 43 NIB- 465
Sig p320 40 sc NIB- 510

Store b offered $200 trade in:
Glock 26 gen 3 2 mags and box- 435
Shield 45 NIB- 455

Store c offered 200 trade in:
Xds 9mm used 2 mags box- 400
Glock 36 used 2 mags maybe box- 400

What do you think is the best deal? Honestly I'm not too into any of these over the other. Each has the advantages and disadvantages. Which would you get and why?

·
Registered
9,889 Posts
Again what have your fired /cleaned etc ?

Are you sure you can get a CCW some counties in NY wont issues them at all so getting a mirco pistol will be silly .

Price are high for all of them ..

XDS 9MM is it the full carry kit or the eco carry kit ..400 is high for a used XDS 9 if just the mags imop with what the eco pakes are going for

The 27 is a decent deal but not amazing if only one mag and stock sights .

I am going from the fact that you only get 10 round mags in NY state ..I dont see the point to owing a double stack gun when you only get 10 rounds

Me if I were in NY I would go single stack ..A 225 sig a 220 sig ( like the nice new Legion gun .....) a p6 used ( its just a 225 police model ) .. The XDS is a ok choice esp for CCW .. THe 36 I have never been a fan of as it pinch me pretty good on the mags when firing .

Of what you have listed I would go either XDS or Glock 26 ... But again that is only what you listed .. If I were say in NY I would carry a SIG 239 ,225 or 220 or a HKP7 ...

Reactions: kilo5117

·
Registered
30 Posts
I hear m&p 9c is nice. I have the shield 9pc. Love it. Sounds like store 1 wants your LT business

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have my concealed carry permit so yes I can. I have only fired the xds 9mm as my friend has one. It's simple and I like it.

·
Registered
9,889 Posts
I have my concealed carry permit so yes I can. I have only fired the xds 9mm as my friend has one. It's simple and I like it.
Good I only asked as it sounded like you were getting one not had did not want you to get a nice pistol and not be able to carry it

And sounds like you have your answer get the XDS and be happy ..You fired it and liked it ..Nothing wrong with them just make sure you remember the grip saftey ..

Plus you can get a XDM pistol for HD or such latter one and they will be close in controls and use so that will be a good thing

·
Registered
9,889 Posts
I have only shot the xds9 as my friend has one. Other than that I haven't shot any and I can't in my area.

I got you ..Again if you can try to fire as many as you can ...To me just holding them wont tell you much ...

Any chance you can get a gun online ? That might make it easier try them out then get the best deal ?

·
Registered
9,889 Posts
One more thing to think about ...A new XDS in the box with 2 mags all that is 400 with free shipping Springfield XDS 3.3 Single Stack 9mm Black Essentials Package | Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore

or heck for 60 more you can get what I think is a pretty cool set up Springfield XDS 3.3 Single Stack 45ACP Bi-Tone Essentials Package with Viridian R5 Red Laser | Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore with the laser and holster ...Good laser and holster

And I have seen the XDS even cheeper on close out here and there ...So check if the set up comes with it all or ...

·
Registered
6,363 Posts
The price on the Glock 26 looks pretty decent, is it a Gen 3 or Gen 4? Gen 4's usually runs about $60-$75 more than Gen 3's although either are fine. Some of the other prices seem pretty high to me but maybe that is NY:rolleyes: Good luck!

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Some of those prices are fairly high but not altogether unreasonable.

You have quite a list there with some very high quality handguns, any one of which should serve you very well. Do you have the opportunity to shoot any of them before your purchase? So much of this boils down to personal opinions along with the attendant biases but with that in mind...

I am not a big fan of the Springfield Armory XD series of pistols. For me, the bore axis is too high and the grip angle feels a bit off. However they are fine guns and I do have an earlier model; an XD 40. Same for the Sig Sauer. Excellent handgun but a high bore axis doesn't work well for me.

That leaves the Glocks and the M&P's. I've owned both the Glock 26 and 27 and they are fine guns. For me, I found them a little more clunky that I wanted for their size. Very good shoots, though. The Glock 43 really doesn't appeal to me for reasons I'll get to in a moment. The same goes for the Glock 36 and I'll get to that one, too. However, if you can pick up a Glock 19 and/or a 23, by all means do so. These two compact pistols are among the best you can by in their respective categories.

The M&P's. I have all of the ones you have listed. I would take the M&P 9 Shield over the Glock 43 because it holds more rounds. Both are fine guns, but here the M&P 9 Shield has the edge. The M&P 9c and 40c compacts are excellent... period. The near perfect slightly smaller than compact pistol. Great shooting, accurate, and they carry magnificently. And the 40c version is a soft shooting small .40S&W pistol. Two of my favorites. The M&P 45 Shield is a strange animal. I just got one 2 1/2 weeks ago and it's crazy. It handles the powerful .45ACP cartridge great. Not as much felt recoil as you might expect. I did a nice writeup on it after its first trip to the range. It replaced my Glock 30S, which I couldn't shoot for crap and just didn't like very much. The Shield 45 is a great choice.

So which one would I pick? Nine-millimeter range ammo is less expensive than the .40S&W and .45ACP stuff so that could be a consideration. If it is, from the list you offered I would go with the M&P 9c. If ammo cost is not an issue and personal protection is the primary purpose for your purchase, I would go with the M&P 40c.

Again, this is all very subjective and others will most certainly have different opinions... which is how it should be. You have a fine list from which to choose. Now it's down to narrowing your candidates to just a few guns and taking your final decision. Good luck and let us know which way you go with this.

M&P 45 Shield writeup, see post #19:
http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum...-new-m-p-45-shield-morning-2.html#post5295457

·
Registered
150 Posts
M&P 9c if you want amazing ergonomics and larger capacity or Glock 43 if you want something slim.
Have both, full stock and love them dearly :)

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
One more thing to think about ...A new XDS in the box with 2 mags all that is 400 with free shipping Springfield XDS 3.3 Single Stack 9mm Black Essentials Package | Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore

or heck for 60 more you can get what I think is a pretty cool set up Springfield XDS 3.3 Single Stack 45ACP Bi-Tone Essentials Package with Viridian R5 Red Laser | Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore with the laser and holster ...Good laser and holster

And I have seen the XDS even cheeper on close out here and there ...So check if the set up comes with it all or ...
The thing is I am trading a gun in at these stores and they are giving me money off I can't do that online.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
I like the Sig first, then a Glock (either 19 or 26), then the XD line. That's strictly on feel. All are fully capable of what you desire. They all are accurate and shoot well, conceal easy, and will perform well as a house gun if you do your part IE: training.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
If those are your only choices, and you have to buy Thursday, then either the XDS9 or the M&P9C.
I would choose the M&P9C.

Now if they had a Ruger SR9C for $400, and I would say get that. Sweet shooting pistol. IMHBAO.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts

What do you think is the best deal? Which would you get and why?
The M&P9c would be (and is) my choice. I've had mine 9 years now and it's flawless. I also own and occasionally carry an XDs 45. It's a fine pistol in its own right, but overall the M&P is superior.

Reactions: forester58

·
Registered
598 Posts
You have some nice choices. I'm partial to Glocks, but that's me. I have an XDS Mod.2 45acp. I don't like that gun. For me, it's very snappy and not fun to shoot beyond 200 rounds with 230gr FMJ's. Hand ends up stinging, not to mention the trigger bite. May work fine for others, just not right for me.
So as most of you have seen I'm very indecisive on what to choose here. Background on me: this is my first pistol. I plan to use it as a ccw, and home defense/target. I won't carry everyday as I just don't have the intention and I have college every day so can't really do that. I found 3 stores that have some stuff I like. I will be trading in a rifle I have and that will reduce the price a little. Here's the stores and guns as follows with prices:

Store A offered 225 (might be able to do 250 if I try) for my trade in:
Xds 9 NIB- 450
Xds 45 NIB- 490
Glock 27 gen 3 used 1 mag nothing else- 350
Shield 9 NIB- 410
Glock 43 NIB- 465
Sig p320 40 sc NIB- 510

Store b offered $200 trade in:
Glock 26 gen 3 2 mags and box- 435
Shield 45 NIB- 455

Store c offered 200 trade in:
Xds 9mm used 2 mags box- 400
Glock 36 used 2 mags maybe box- 400

What do you think is the best deal? Honestly I'm not too into any of these over the other. Each has the advantages and disadvantages. Which would you get and why?

1 - 20 of 92 Posts