Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,247 Posts
I wasn't there and can't really judge, but I'll betcha having a little better SA 'might've' helped. Your right though, a purse is no place for a firearm.

·
Banned
5,171 Posts
I hope she wasn't injured badly! I agree, the purse isn't a good way to carry. It makes me cringe when I see the Maxpedition "man purses" pimped out with holsters in the CCW compartment. Odds are a man-purse snatcher is more likely to steal your gun than you are to draw it!:tongue: Only time I could see carrying in a bag or purse is 1) when it can't really be on you, 2) while hiking or camping or 3) sometimes while in a vehicle, depending on the situation. While out in the woods you >> should << be aware of another human before you're in a confrontation, and if you need it for popping a skunk or snake you'll probably have time to access it. A charging bear or puma, maybe not! Also, in a car with the windows up and the doors locked you >> should << be able to get the gun out in time to use it, and the locked door should prevent someone from snatching your "murse" before you can get the gun out.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
You don't like my purse???? Sunglasses Eyewear Street fashion Shoulder Fashion

·
Registered
88 Posts
To say carrying in a purse is bad based on one incident doesn't make sense. Plenty of women have successfully defended their lives with purse carried guns.

·
Premium Member
4,456 Posts
To say carrying in a purse is bad based on one incident doesn't make sense. Plenty of women have successfully defended their lives with purse carried guns.
I agree, I can't just broadbrush it and say it's 100 % bad all the time.

My wife is a purse carrier. I understand all of the arguments against it, and granted I'd rather her CC some other way, but it isn't going to happen with her. She's very responsible and diligent with her purse and has good habits in carrying it (I've been watching her). She recently retired from 30+ years of work, so she's been very active publically and never lost a purse or had it stolen in her life.

I think it has its place, but it's not for everyone.........especially ME !

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
I hate to be a nit-picker, but the article doesn't actually tell us whether she was carrying in her purse or not. It says the BG took her purse and the .38, but not took her purse with her .38 in it.

I'm sorry ..... I apologize in advance if my efforts to recognize details is a PIYA.

Reactions: Snub44

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
My wife carries her revolver in her purse and I have told her that should she need it, getting it out of there is not going to be easy. She knows this but at least she carries it.

She is aware that thieves target purses and makes sure not to sling it over her shoulder so that it can be easily snatched. I would feel much better if she didn't purse carry, but knowing she does carry her gun is good too.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
I would never carry in a purse.

I can't count the number of times my wife and MIL couldn't find their purse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45,324 Posts
It takes forever for my wife to find her keys or cellphone in her dufflebag she calls her purse. A gun carried there would be useless.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
I've seen some purses that were made for carrying, and candidly when that's that best option some of those purses are excellent choices. I'd also believe that while many are like my wife and some of other examples given here -- often having a hard time finding their keys, their sunglasses, whatever in that cavern they call a purse -- when carrying something as heavy, both in figurative and literal terms, as a pistol I'd bet they'd keep the presence of a gun uppermost in their mind.

·
Registered
321 Posts
This may seem like a silly question but I think it fits in here. If you are used to being armed at all times what do you do when you go to the beach/pool?
It would seem at least in these situations a bag makes sense, no?

·
Registered
209 Posts
I can't find a nice purse to match my Georgia Boots so, I carry OWB concealed. :smile:

Reactions: ppkheat

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
...hope someone buys her another gun!!! on person carry's the best, but purse, briefcase, or Day Planner's better'n nothing...depending on what she carries, a fanny pack might work...if it's out of arms' reach, it's not going to be a sure thing...

...bought my first wife a Det. Spl. years ago...caught her not carrying it and told her if I caught her leaving without it again, I'd take her car keys...(I was a bit brash and foolhardy back then)...she believed me...one night she walked out just before dark at the grocery and found two individuals, one at each door leaning on her car...looking and smiling as she walked across the parking lot...I asked her what she did, and she said she "rummaged" in her purse as if to find her keys...and pulled out her .38 and looked at it...they left like rats when the light comes on...never had to doubt her carrying again...

...carrying's ALWAYS less trouble than NOT carrying...

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
You're right. But the many various incidents over the years that I've read about in the news convince me that it's far too simple for a purse to be taken or a for person to be incapable of getting to the purse. And in that situation a person is now effectively disarmed. That scenario is far less likely to occur when the gun is on the person.

It's just an example of the probabilities, and those probabilities (as compared with other, safer modes of carry) are hard to refute.

·
Registered
86 Posts
There are gun purses, my wife has one and when going to the car you can not tell she has her hand on the gun in the hidden outside pocket.
My wife and daughter probably use their purses with the built in gun compartment most of the time they carry (wife - 90%, daughter - 60%). Neither has found a real comfortable/practical way to CC and I want them to carry. For those who haven't looked into these purses, they have straps that are reinforced with metal to prevent the common - YANK, snap the strap, and RUN" purse grab. It is not full proof but SA is the key to being able to react in a timely manner no matter how you choose to you carry. We work on what we can control and not what we can't.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts