1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,044 Posts
Good grief, it didn't even break the tooth off, it extracted it. :O

·
Registered
484 Posts
Yes, and results from good ammo would be differant....was it 9mm Mak, or 9x17? Bet it was crappy ball ammo, and a Sgt with an angel on his shoulder, too! I have heard of a guy getting 3 44 mags to the chest, who shot his attacker dead, and lived. Also heard of a guy getting hit with a .25 in the arm, and dying because "he got shot".

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
Better ammo would have do more damage im sure it was ball ammo to ... All depends where ya get hit and how lucky you are that day .

·
Registered
484 Posts
Well, he used up a LOT of luck that day, or as the Chinese say, burned a TON of joss!!!

·
Registered
742 Posts
Simple, just won't shoot Marines with my nine :smug:.

If we find anyone that can eat 9 of my Speer 115gr+P+ at 1400fps, he can have my gun, because it will weight me down as I run away.:(

·
Registered
340 Posts
This just goes to show you how underpowered handgun rounds are.

I've read numerous instances of how people can take multiple handgun rounds and still keep coming. God bless those in the Armed Forces!

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I switched to .45 ACP a few years ago
It probably won't make that much difference. In my files I have just about as many .45 failures as I do 9mm on a percentage basis. One of my favorites is the guy who was shot in th e face from across a pool table. When we got there he was bleeding from the nose, but walking around feeling fine. While we were doing interviews, he blew his nose, and blew out the .45 slug. As far as the doctor oculd figure the round went into the sinus cavity and did not penetrate any further.

·
Registered
377 Posts
A local police officer was shot in the head at point-blank range last year with her own .45. She's still on the job, although she was out for a while.

No such thing as a magic (handgun) round for self-defense, folks.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Originally posted by Erich
No such thing as a magic (handgun) round for self-defense, folks.

This is a true statement....I think if any handgun round is close to being magic...its a 10mm hot loading from DoubleTapammo.com

Its still not magic...and its still a handgun round, but its alot closer to rifle velocity and muzzle energy with a .400 bullet than any other chambering for a semi-auto.

Caliber : 10mm
Bullet : Gold Dot Lineup
Ballistics : 155gr. @ 1475fps / 750ft/lbs
Glock 20

If you want something to make you sleep better at night..I would pick this over the .45.....

But this is only because its hard to conceal my 870!

·
Super Moderator
13,231 Posts
I saw a police video at Blackwater Training Center of a woman who was shot three times in the torso with a .45 ACP and walked around a car yelling, "He's shooting me." She never went down.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Anecdotal evidence cited from a country where both firearms and ammunition may not be "cutting edge" or even well-maintained and ammunition can be flawed, damaged, or otherwise not optimal is hardly a good reason to stop carrying a gun or round. Moreover, as others have noted, many calibers including those legendary munitions that begin with "4" have documented failures even with multiple hits. That isn't a reason to stop carrying them and/or handguns.

I prefer the 9mm chambering, and with good quality defensive ammunition is a very formidable self-defense round.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
When I was looking to buy my first automatic (luckily it was given), I decided I'd get something in a full size frame 9mm.

The reason why was compromise. I knew I needed lots of practice with an automatic pistol, but I also wanted something that was better than a .22

Enter the 9mm. Reasonably cheap ammunition, more effective than many other calibers. Even the full size models can be concealed if need be.

Now some day when I gots the money I may get a .45 or something along those lines, but when you only have one pistol it has to be all things to you.

It's also why I chose a .357 magnum with a 4" barrel for my first revolver and my first handgun of my very own. It can do all things. Not well, but it can be everything to me and it was all I had for months. For practice I use relatively cheap .38 Special (I do shoot some 357 just so I'll be used to the recoil, the noise, and the muzzle flash) and then I can use 357 rounds for defense. I've shot several guns like it, I've shot it quite a bit, and while it's not perfect it is a sweet piece and the only reason I'd ever sell it is if I got a similar, better gun to replace it with. It's definitely not my first choice for a carry gun but under 2 layers of clothing it is concealable if need be.

I feel certain basic configurations like a 9mm semi-automatic and a .357 DA/SA revolver are really good for someone who is just starting to buy their own guns. These two pieces have taught me a lot about what I want in future pistol purchases and I don't see myself ever getting rid of them. They'll always have a place in my arsenal, unless I replace them with fundamentally identical pieces.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Erich, I remember that incident. She was hit a couple of times wasn't she? Shoulder as well?

I had a student as well who was hit in the back of the head through the rear glass of his vehicle. The round (.45) didn't penentrate, just a cut and big bump. Guess he had an angel sitting behind him.:saint:

Hard to not believe in incredible luck and higher powers sometimes.:)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I started out caring Hi-Cap 9s but the darn things were so heavy and bulky that I wound up leaving it home half the time and wound up violating rule #1 of a gun fight (Always bring a gun). I then bought a smaller 9 and it’s size made it easier for me to carry so I started carrying 99.99 % of the time. I gave the whole thing some more though and realized that my main reason for carrying a 9 was because of its large capacity and now I was carrying a 9 with about the same capacity as a compact .45 so why not carry a more powerful .45? I seems like a no brainer to me I switched to .45 and I am glad I did.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Jacob - your student was blessed, all right.

Silver, I've been carrying a small 9x19 (a Glock 26) with big (17- or 33-rounders) back-up mags (and 147-gr bullets to ensure adequate penetration). It seems to be the best set-up for me. I've found that I don't carry my mini-Glock 36 in .45 very much anymore.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I still have my all stainless steel 14+1 S&W 1st gen. 659. The darn thing is too heavy to carry even when empty. I have no desire to own another Hi-cap weapon, even if it is less heavy. It isn’t an option in NY anyway because the 10 round AWB is still alive and well here. The state law is exactly the same as the federal law that expired.

·
Registered
940 Posts
The prevalence of idiots in pairs or more that I've encountered in the wild leads me to not want anything less than a ten round capacity in a primary handgun given the fact that there's not a handgun round alive that guarantees drop on the spot.

The average police hit rate is in the teens. I train a lot more than the average police dude, but even then, I can't guarantee a hit no matter how much I try in the real world. I figure on 50% real world hits since I'd rather undercompensate for my abilities and luck than the other way around. This means that assuming one shot per idiot stops the problem, the venerable six gun nets me 3 assailants tops. Of course, I don't have much faith that one shot from anything, including my .44 Desert Eagle, is going to solve the problem instantly, magically, and as fast as I want it to.

If I need to shoot, I need them dead or down now. Not a minute from now, not before the paramedics arrive, etc. That may well take a hail of bullets, if it happens at all.

This is why I don't worry about caliber as much as many folks. I want capacity and a gun that I'm comfortable with.

For me, in stress situations, is my Sig 226. Idiot simple, no safeties, real hammer.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have been shot three times now. Two in my right leg from an AK at about 10 meters. They blew through what I was hiding behind. Lost lots of blood and I limp a bit.

One from an AD/ND I had with a Glock 27. I'm still recovering from it. They all hurt, but the .40 in my hand has done the most damage. Still feel stupid.:(

1 - 20 of 43 Posts