Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sure, bigger guns are generally better but, I could in no way carry all the time even with a "compact".
Today I have been installing and re-doing sprinkler systems at the house. Its 95 degrees and I have been having to lay on my belly and side to reach down to connect new pipe. At times I had to have my tool belt on to do layout and stake new sprinkler runs.

For you less active folks I could easily see EDC of a larger gun but, I am not in that lifestyle yet. Heck I can conceal my G21 if I am just walking and sitting with no real physical activity.

I think that is what some people here lose track of, we all don't just sit.
Here is my carry gun today as it is most days. A 642 carried appendix in a Kydex holster. I took it out and snapped a pic. Yep, covered in sweat. Stainless/aluminum/rubber and Kydex is only thing that works for me and a "always gun".

I can lay on this gun in this position and I guess I have enough cushion as it doesn't bother me. No way I am laying on a compact semi auto and yes I have tried it, too square and too painful.

When I can I carry something more substantial but, that is not often.

·
Premium Member
1,272 Posts
Glad you found something you can carry and still get stuff done. I've had to clean mud off a gun more than once, but the rule for me is it goes where I go and does what I'm doing. All my working t-shirts have little holes from the gun contacting the workbench, walls, the saw, etc.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
15,842 Posts
Everybody has to be somewhere. Do what ya gotta do.

Before I retired, my job included driving as far as possible on jeep trails miles into wilderness areas and then hiking to where I needed to be. Bear, moose, and cougar encounters were a potential. Survivalist squatters and marijuana farmer encounters were a potential. Help was hours away even by helicopter. There was usually no cell service or agency radio coverage.

I carried a Glock G20 10mm on my right hip with two spare magazines. I carried 5" S&W 460 magnum on my left hip with two speed loaders. I carried a Sig P238 .380 with a spare magazine in my pocket just in case.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
forester58 You gota do what you gota do . There was a time that a snubby in my pocket was fine when I worked for a company that built large custom homes from footer to trim in house but when it got to were I was just a carpenter from blab to punch out a 4" single stack was on my side at 3:00 in a iwb even back in south west florida .

·
Registered
477 Posts
I get your point. But the only choice isn't J-Frame or Glock 19. Since you can carry that snubbie appendix, and still do what you need to do, I'd bet dollars to donuts you could do the same with a single stack-ish subcompact 9mm. I say "-ish" because, as we all know, there are now some double stacks that fit in the single stack form factor. Do you not think that you could carry something like a SIG P365 equally as easily as the Smith? Appendix it might even be easier to carry than the Smith because it's flatter. And if you can, you've given yourself a BIG upgrade in firepower.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Everybody has to pick their own poison. Thankfully there are lots of poisons to pick from. Somebody here said to do what you gotta do. Good advice.

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
Glock 19/23/32 in a Kydex clip-on AIWB (or strong side) - same.
I moved from one house to another, packing furniture, wearing the 23.
Walk dogs everyday 1.5 mile or more, with a Glock 23/32.

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
You've found what works for you, which is exactly what each of us should do as well.

My solution is for similar reasons: physical activity. For example, yesterday I took a friend and his son fishing. 95 steamy degrees, nonstop busy and a lot of contortions in the boat as we landed about 40 catfish in the 6-14 lb. range. Neither had been on a boat for a long time so launching/landing was all me, and most of the reaching over to net or grab fish too. An XD-S 9mm was with me AIWB the whole time, just like most days. A heavy full size fighting gun would not work as well in these close quarters.

(Gratuitous sweaty pic with concealed gun below. )

·
Premium Member
1,272 Posts
Woo Hoo! That's good fishin' and good eatin'! Thanks for sharing the pic, graydude, makes me want to get up early tomorrow and hit the river.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
I'm with you Forester for slightly different reasons.

You're active and I'm a boring old retiree.

You choose a 642 because it won't limit your activity like a larger handgun might.

Me? I'm lazy and an unlikely target, so my EDC has to slip easily into my right front pocket and be light enough that it doesn't tug very much on my belt.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Glad you found something that works so well for you! My new go-to has been the belly band for carrying and yard work/walking. nothing pretty about a well made one but they are functional and sub for a good back brace which is a nice bonus. had to carry a bigger gun, couldn’t hit anything with the snub not that good of a shooter.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
I get your point. But the only choice isn't J-Frame or Glock 19. Since you can carry that snubbie appendix, and still do what you need to do, I'd bet dollars to donuts you could do the same with a single stack-ish subcompact 9mm. I say "-ish" because, as we all know, there are now some double stacks that fit in the single stack form factor. Do you not think that you could carry something like a SIG P365 equally as easily as the Smith? Appendix it might even be easier to carry than the Smith because it's flatter. And if you can, you've given yourself a BIG upgrade in firepower.
+1

Same here, went for a single stack .45 and it made a big difference. very flat gun!

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
I can’t carry anything at work, besides being against company rules there is no way to keep it Secure. I lose stuff in my pockets all the time climbing through tanks.
B46E6F79-E923-4CE7-860C-18155852B846.jpeg

·
Premium Member
7,484 Posts
I understand the OP's choice. Most often in the summer I appendix carry a 642 in a modified N82 holster. Going for long walks in the GA summers, I can get pretty sweaty. The 642 conceals well.

My other main choice is a Colt Defender. But if I'm going to be "sweating it up" for a while, the 642 usually gets carried. The Defender is carried more often in the cooler months in GA.

·
Super Moderator
18,334 Posts
I don't deeply care about anyone's carry choice. Just be carrying.

I'm not much of a sitter-arounder really and am not always at the computer either. I almost always "go big" if I'm out and about toting. Toted a 4-inch K-Frame Smith & Wesson into the Dallas-Fort Worth area for the past two days. Around my house I will pocket carry smaller handguns if outside doing yard work or chores.

If the deal ever goes down I do not wish to have to gun fight with a stunted gun.

N-Frame .357 Magnum Smith & Wesson toted through a gun show security weekend.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts