Defensive Carry banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Glad you found something that works so well for you! My new go-to has been the belly band for carrying and yard work/walking. nothing pretty about a well made one but they are functional and sub for a good back brace which is a nice bonus. had to carry a bigger gun, couldn’t hit anything with the snub not that good of a shooter.
@Sister I'm thinking of trying a belly band. What brand did you buy and where did you get it? Some are flimsy and I'm looking for a quality product. Currently I carry a H-K VP9sk in spandex undercover shorts with 2 gun pockets in the back. I can put them on backwards under loose jeans and I have aiwb, which is my preferred position. The only problem is that this adds another layer which is very hot in the summer. It seems like a belly band might be a good summer alternative

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
We each have unique lifestyles and situations... so we each do what we need to do!

If all you can reasonably carry while rolling around on the ground is a 5-shot revolver, and you feel the need to be armed at that time, then carry a 5-shot revolver. Then, at such time as you are no longer rolling around on the ground, you can clip a mid-size or full-size pistol onto your gunbelt.

"Horses for courses", as they say.

If I need to pull a heater in self-defense, I want at least a mid-size, if not a full-size pistol in my hand!

I can carry a mid-size (or full-size, if I choose to) pretty much anywhere I go. If it's a doctor appointment where I might need to take off my shirt, I'll leave the carry in the truck during that appointment. I could slip a J-frame or P938 in my shorts pocket, if I was particularly concerned about being unarmed while in the doctor's office... but where I live, and the doctors I visit... being armed in the doctor's office is virtually of no-concern to me.

I am strongly biased against mouse-guns unless it TRULY is impossible to carry anything larger - which for me personally is almost never.

P320's are my daily carry these days

·
Super Moderator
18,325 Posts
Well ... bummer DHart!

Your post summed up handgun carry choices and how to view them so well that you are at fault for taking the fun out of debating the topic. That's pouring cold water on a debate topic right there.

There oughta be an infraction of some sort for "succinct Forum topic thread summation." Or maybe it should be called "denial of sporting Forum debate."

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
I am glad I don't live in an area where I think it necessary to carry a gun around my own home.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Pick the right tool for the job at hand.....

Around the small town where I live, I usually carry my LCR 9mm with two extra clips. It's light and allows me to do my daily walks, lawn work, and other tasks with little interference.

When I'm going to a larger city or in my church (not security, but an aware observer), I carry a larger pistol. My M&P 2.0 or PT-145 are more suited to the possible issues that need addressing in those environments. And the dress code and tasks in those environments allow me to conceal a larger pistol.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
476 Posts
Just because you don't think it's necessary doesn't mean it isn't. The criminal element looks for complacency wherever they can find it.

I am glad I don't live in an area where I think it necessary to carry a gun around my own home.

·
Registered
476 Posts
D,

My reply to you is the exact flip side of my reply to the OP. When I can carry something like a P365, which has the firepower of what used to be approaching a mid size gun, in a gun the size of a five shot snubby, I greatly reduces the need to carry a bigger gun. If you can carry a mid size gun (let's define that as the G19 size class.) and want to, all the better. But nowadays, you don't really need to.

We each have unique lifestyles and situations... so we each do what we need to do!

If all you can reasonably carry while rolling around on the ground is a 5-shot revolver, and you feel the need to be armed at that time, then carry a 5-shot revolver. Then, at such time as you are no longer rolling around on the ground, you can clip a mid-size or full-size pistol onto your gunbelt.

"Horses for courses", as they say.

If I need to pull a heater in self-defense, I want at least a mid-size, if not a full-size pistol in my hand!

I can carry a mid-size (or full-size, if I choose to) pretty much anywhere I go. If it's a doctor appointment where I might need to take off my shirt, I'll leave the carry in the truck during that appointment. I could slip a J-frame or P938 in my shorts pocket, if I was particularly concerned about being unarmed while in the doctor's office... but where I live, and the doctors I visit... being armed in the doctor's office is virtually of no-concern to me.

I am strongly biased against mouse-guns unless it TRULY is impossible to carry anything larger - which for me personally is almost never.

P320's are my daily carry these days

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
I lived on 20 acres in a rural "good" area for years, now on 18 acres in a "good" area.
If I've got on pants I'm carrying.
Is it necessary? I sure hope not, don't expect to need it - same can be said for out in public.
I'm sure glad I live in a country where I have the freedom to carry, "necessary" or not.

Reactions: forester58

·
Registered
113 Posts
Nobody lives in an area where they think it's necessary to carry a gun around their own home...until suddenly they do!!

I'm a few miles outside of a small-ish town in TX on a few acres in a country neighborhood. The only visible neighbor is across the street. One day the wife and I are out doing some work around the house and this guy comes out of nowhere on foot through the open driveway gate. Surprised me because I never heard or saw a car, and this is not a pedestrian type of neighborhood, it's country living and it's a one way in same way out arrangement.

The guy is youngish, but everyone is youngish once you get to your mid 60's. He goes into a sales pitch for some polishing compound he's hawking and I'm thinking, crap, my gun's inside! I'm on high orange and watching for any accomplices as we talked and I told him no thanks and soon he was on his way walking toward the main highway.

I always carry now at home.

Reactions: forester58

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Except, he used "clip":

And, dammit, when will people learn, once and for all, that "magazines" are not "clips"!!! Oh ... wait ...

rx7sig (never one to spoil a "sporting Forum debate.")
When will people learn to READ? I said he could "clip" a pistol onto his gunbelt. As in, using the clip on the holster to attach to the belt? :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
D,

My reply to you is the exact flip side of my reply to the OP. When I can carry something like a P365, which has the firepower of what used to be approaching a mid size gun, in a gun the size of a five shot snubby, I greatly reduces the need to carry a bigger gun. If you can carry a mid size gun (let's define that as the G19 size class.) and want to, all the better. But nowadays, you don't really need to.
A P365 may have the same capacity as some mid size pistols (which is a nice thing), but capacity is not EVERYTHING. The P365 doesn't HANDLE like a mid-size pistol - and that in itself is a BIG difference.

Reactions: Holmes375

·
Registered
24 Posts
Glad you found something that works so well for you! My new go-to has been the belly band for carrying and yard work/walking. nothing pretty about a well made one but they are functional and sub for a good back brace which is a nice bonus. had to carry a bigger gun, couldn’t hit anything with the snub not that good of a shooter.
I just started using a belly band when I’m wearing basketball shorts and can’t utilize a belt. Great option to still carry my Glock 26 and a spare 17 round magazine or my Ruger LCP custom with a spare 7 round mag.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I do agree to a point. That point is the extent to which a particular carrier is dedicated to carrying a bigger gun. It sounds like you very much are. For those who aren't, something like a P365 is a really good choice. Note how this thread got started. If the SHTF, and the choice is a J-frame, a LCP like mouse gun, or a P365, I'd take the latter hands down.

Of course if something like a M&P 2.0 compact was a on the table, I'd rather have that over all of them (especially in .40, but that's another thread.)

A P365 may have the same capacity as some mid size pistols (which is a nice thing), but capacity is not EVERYTHING. The P365 doesn't HANDLE like a mid-size pistol - and that in itself is a BIG difference.

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
A gun like the P365 is not the same size or even more important the same shape as the 642. The round gun is much,much easier to carry when its being pressed into you at odd angles than a square gun no matter what size the gun with the sharp corners is.

I didn't say I don't carry larger at times I just said I am not carrying no gun at all no matter if I am in my yard working or not.

Just wanted to point out that sometimes carrying smaller is not "lazy" because lazy would be no gun at all in the circumstances I described. Never mind.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I do agree to a point. That point is the extent to which a particular carrier is dedicated to carrying a bigger gun. It sounds like you very much are. For those who aren't, something like a P365 is a really good choice. Note how this thread got started. If the SHTF, and the choice is a J-frame, a LCP like mouse gun, or a P365, I'd take the latter hands down.

Of course if something like a M&P 2.0 compact was a on the table, I'd rather have that over all of them (especially in .40, but that's another thread.)
I fully agree, P365 is an excellent choice - in its size-category!

Especially agree with regard to the M&P40 Compact, a strong favorite of mine for carry, very smooth and comfortable shooter, with 10+1=11 rounds of 180 gr premium defense ammo. Not a pistol you want to be on the "wrong" side of.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
A gun like the P365 is not the same size or even more important the same shape as the 642. The round gun is much,much easier to carry when its being pressed into you at odd angles than a square gun no matter what size the gun with the sharp corners is.

I didn't say I don't carry larger at times I just said I am not carrying no gun at all no matter if I am in my yard working or not.

Just wanted to point out that sometimes carrying smaller is not "lazy" because lazy would be no gun at all in the circumstances I described. Never mind.
For coat pocket carry, I'm a BIG fan of the S&W640, where one can walk, with gun fully in hand yet concealed in the coat pocket, during uncertain/questionable circumstances, without revealing being armed and ready, and be able to fire immediately, right through the coat pocket if necessary, instantly! For me, that's the major benefit of small frame, internal hammer revolvers. Instant defense, without having to reveal being armed at all. Consider any situation where a passer by comes up to you - seemingly not an obvious threat, but then becomes threatening, suddenly. With such a pistol in the coat pocket, you can react instantly without even having to produce the weapon. .357 magnum potency, immediately at hand, can be a real life-saver. (Being all-steel, with a recoil-soaking rubber Pachmayr grip, makes shooting .357 magnum loads from a J-frame revolver quite comfortable to handle.) The S&W 640 is one of the best small defense pistols you can have - in a pinch - while wearing a coat.

Reactions: bmcgilvray

·
Premium Member
8,016 Posts
IWB or OWB I have two carry choices a MP.40 and a Glock 30s I carry either one of those 7 days a week . I do welding , office , work and just about anything else in between .

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
Desire and need are two different concepts.

How many here wear a hard hat around the house? You are more likely to get a head injury or die from a fall on your property than have to use a firearm.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts